Home General Discussion

Partagas question

Ok guys...i know this is a subjective question but im hoping some of u more experienced smokers can help me out n save me some time n money....im newish to cigars n have tried a variety and found several that ive liked in various strengths though im not into mild cigars much. The other night i smoked my first partagas in years and absolutely loved this cigar...usually when i first light a smoke there is a dry pepper and or dry tobacco flavor to the smoke till it heats up. The partagas was instanly creamy n flavorful with lots of thick smoke and sweet with just enough spice n pepper to balance that out with an almost cinemon quality...Im not a huge pepper fan but understand how it can balance flavors in a cigar...My question is are there other cigars similiar to partagas with these qualities n flavor profile.

Best Answers

Answers

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've like most of the Partagas that I've smoked, but it's not been a "go to" for me, there are certainly folks here who know a lot more about them.  So, for their sakes,

which partagas?  what size? Where?  How long?

The answers will help.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 6string6string Posts: 14
    The regular partagas natural robusto...i was surprised i liked it so much too honestly.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I Love: Black Label, 1845, Extra Oscuro
    Thanks guys...Ill try some more cameroons... i dont mind n sometimes like some pepper as long as its in balance with the other flavors like with the partagas. I have liked several habano wrapped cigars as well like the ave maria n nub habano though i prefer snaller ring gauges like robusto.
    Just found 0patience cameroon list....looks like a good place to start lol ive also come to realize after reading several post that the only way to find favorites is to keep trying new cigars. No shortcuts...lol
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the heads-up, @Amos_Umwhat
    Yeah thanks amos...been wanting to try those n now i have no excuse...just placed my order! Thanks gonna try the carlos torano 1916 next if opatience loves it that much...ha ha
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    @6string,check todays daily deal.  The cameroon preferidos are among the best examples of cameroon-ness.
    Damn! I didn't logon yesterday and missed it. Can anyone tell me what brand this was (and how much they were going for on the DD?)
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    @6string,check todays daily deal.  The cameroon preferidos are among the best examples of cameroon-ness.
    Damn! I didn't logon yesterday and missed it. Can anyone tell me what brand this was (and how much they were going for on the DD?)
    La Aurora preferidos. 5 for 30 I believe
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    raisindot said:
    Oh! Damn! My second favorite brand next to Hemingways. Can't recommend them highly enough, especially in the smaller ring gauges. Hint though: You can sometimes get fivers for around this price on a certain auction site. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shoot Ccom a call or email and ask if they can still honor it ;)

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    raisindot said:
    Usaf06 said:
    raisindot said:
    Oh! Damn! My second favorite brand next to Hemingways. Can't recommend them highly enough, especially in the smaller ring gauges. Hint though: You can sometimes get fivers for around this price on a certain auction site. 
    @raisindot , did you do it?  @90+Irishmans idea, I've had them honor previous DD's before, made me very happy!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Mercenary confessing here, but I ended up winning the same La Aurora Pref 5-er for $10 less than the DD on the "good" auction site. But in my defense, I have spent a goodly sum on other DDs here this year.  
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to see the Cameroon support here. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Cameeron is a fantastic wrapper as long as it come from Meerapfel tobacco farm. It has a distinctive sweet-spiciness with mild floral aroma. Unfortunetly there are very few cigars in the market comes with this exquisite wrapper. FYI, Meerapfel is also the most expensive wrapper in the world. 

The U.S. partagas have a Cameroon wrapper, which gives it that sweet, sometimes cinnamon or baking spice flavor. 

Other great Cameroons include the Arturo Fuente Hemingway and a cheaper alternative is the Oliva serie G.  Both have that nice sweetness and slight baking spice without pepperiness.
    I thought the 1845 was a Ecuadorian Habano and the Extra Oscuro was a Conn. Habano. The Black label is Conn. Broadleaf. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KCW said:
    The U.S. partagas have a Cameroon wrapper, which gives it that sweet, sometimes cinnamon or baking spice flavor. 

Other great Cameroons include the Arturo Fuente Hemingway and a cheaper alternative is the Oliva serie G.  Both have that nice sweetness and slight baking spice without pepperiness.
    I thought the 1845 was a Ecuadorian Habano and the Extra Oscuro was a Conn. Habano. The Black label is Conn. Broadleaf. Maybe I'm wrong.
    The "standard" no frills Partagas line is Cameroon wrapped. You are correct about the 1845 and Oscuro lines. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    KCW said:

The "standard" no frills Partagas line is Cameroon wrapped. You are correct about the 1845 and Oscuro lines. 
    Yeah. Thought about this after I posted. I think the ones I mentioned are Dominican.