Home Cigar 101

Bitterness

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Can a cigar "improve" with a few weeks rest? I had a cigar the other day that was wonderful. Had that same brand rott and it tasted bitter. Was an Avo  Syncro Nicaragua. Didn't get the same sweet and toasty aroma. Does the bitterness go away?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    now that I think about it, I had a Ramon Bueso Genesis that tasted bitter rott. After a few weeks it was a different cigar.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Let them rest. In the summer they get hot and ROTT they are in a sick phase. 

During the cooler months, not so much of an issue

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    It is damn humid today. Cool temps do seem to make stogies smell better. I think I just needed some affirmation that the bitterness will most likely go away. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never smoke anything ROTT. I wait at least two weeks if they're shipped to me. But, if I bring it home from a B&M, it's ready to smoke. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The let them rest part ROTT I get and makes sense. The part about aging them also makes sense to me. The part I don't get is how do you know they have not been sitting around in some warehouse for 6 months to a year or longer getting mellow. Don't see any "born on dates" on any of the boxes I buy.  
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be as polite as I can on this one...you have been a member of the forum for 6 years!!!!!! You have a few hundred posts and well I have said this to you before...have you learned nothing?! Or do you pop up every couple of monthes to ask questions that have been answered time and time again. And haven't you learned any of this from the last six years?! Do you think Gurkha is the rolls Royce of cigars?! Do you think cc's are the "strongest" cigars on the market?! I just don't get it,a six year vet with noob questions
    Money can't buy taste
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I'll be as polite as I can on this one...you have been a member of the forum for 6 years!!!!!! You have a few hundred posts and well I have said this to you before...have you learned nothing?! Or do you pop up every couple of monthes to ask questions that have been answered time and time again. And haven't you learned any of this from the last six years?! Do you think Gurkha is the rolls Royce of cigars?! Do you think cc's are the "strongest" cigars on the market?! I just don't get it,a six year vet with noob questions

50 First Dates.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play this video every morning.   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdJsrcWx7tM
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

As I said before, I just needed some affirmation that cigars will improve. Its nice to get feedback from an online member. Maybe I had a bad day or something and just needed a reminder. I was bummed out that my cigars were tasting bad. I googled the topic. Just feels better to get a "live" response telling you its gonna be ok buddy. If the question drives you nuts, just avoid it and move on.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said before, I just needed some affirmation that cigars will improve. Its nice to get feedback from an online member. Maybe I had a bad day or something and just needed a reminder. I was bummed out that my cigars were tasting bad. I googled the topic. Just feels better to get a "live" response telling you its gonna be ok buddy. If the question drives you nuts, just avoid it and move on.

But,........ you ARE glad he was polite? Right? ;)
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love it @christian1971. I ask stupid questions all the time and sometimes get really stupid answers. Most of the time however I get what I need and more. Have a great day.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being fairly new, I had this question myself.  Ordered some cigars online, had smoked one gifted to me and thought it was great. When my package arrived the cigar was extremely bitter and harsh. I felt bad thinking that I bought a bad batch or something. After they sat in my humidor from May till the first of Sept the one I had the other night tasted great.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I used to be a non-believer in the whole "let 'em rest" philosophy but after accumulating so many I have noted that rest does settle 'em down. Of course, what a lot of rest often does is "mute" the spiciness of strong cigars and make them milder, which can change their character. I've had plenty of cigars I bought for their spiciness become quite mild after as little as 3-4 months in my humidor. It's kind of a subjective notion as to whether age improves any given cigar. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say to "properly" age you need to know the smoke pretty well, as well as your own palate and a decent understanding of how age will affect that particular smoke. Meaning you have to know the profile you enjoy smoking best, the starting point of the cigar you're planning to lay down and how much they calm down and marry after X months. Once you know those things you can effectively age and mature a cigar in a way that you know will be beneficial for the profile and type of cigar you best enjoy. A clear understanding of the variables and how time changes them is key here. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, Brett.

It brings to mind, once again, the difference in the terms resting and aging, when you mentioned knowing the 'starting point' of a cigar.  Last year we were buying some old Camacho's that were buried in a warehouse - the card inside the box signed and dated by the roller - from '06.  So those could use some resting to bring them to the humidity/temp we prefer, but they've already been aged.  At the other end of the spectrum are the new releases, just arriving; they should be rested at the very least, and probably aged too.  The problem is, apart from the new releases or fresh-rolled, most manufacturers don't put the date on the boxes, so we never know the starting date.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Peter and I completely agree that a lack of box dating makes things difficult. Anything I buy unless I already know the age or release date of I just assume is 0 months and start counting from here after I date the box that day myself. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    now that I think about it, I had a Ramon Bueso Genesis that tasted bitter rott. After a few weeks it was a different cigar.
    Ok, so it wasn't me. I smoked two and found them slightly bitter, but also felt there was a good cigar in the blend. Think I've read they require a lot of rest. Thanks. 
    The secret word is cigars!