Home General Discussion

nicotine

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
or you could just smoke a good cigar  :)

Alzheimer's: Nicotinic receptors as a new therapeutic target

Date:
August 29, 2016
Source:
Institut Pasteur
Summary:
Studies have indicated that nicotine may be beneficial for memory function. Scientists are set out to shed further light on the properties attributed to nicotine by determining the precise structure of the nicotinic receptors in the hippocampus region of the brain. Using mouse models for Alzheimer's disease, they identified the a subunit of the nicotinic receptor as a target that, if blocked, prevents the memory loss associated with Alzheimer's.
Share:
FULL STORY

Several scientific studies have indicated that nicotine may be beneficial for memory function. Scientists from the Institut Pasteur and the CNRS set out to shed further light on the properties attributed to nicotine -- which is known to have an adverse effect on health -- by determining the precise structure of the nicotinic receptors in the hippocampus region of the brain. Using mouse models for Alzheimer's disease, they identified the β2 subunit of the nicotinic receptor as a target that, if blocked, prevents the memory loss associated with Alzheimer's. These results were published inNeurobiology of Aging on August 12, 2016.

Alzheimer's disease is characterized by two types of lesion: amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary degeneration. Amyloid beta peptide, naturally present in the brain, builds up over the years as a result of genetic and environmental factors until it forms amyloid plaques. This build-up is toxic for nerve cells and leads to a loss of neuronal structure and to what is known as "neurofibrillary" degeneration, which in turn results in the death of nerve cells.

By the time amyloid plaques appear in the brain, patients' memory loss is already considerable and irreversible. The aim of current research into this disease is therefore to detect amyloid beta peptide at an earlier stage, when it is still soluble, before the plaques appear. In this study, scientists from the Integrative Neurobiology of Cholinergic Systems Unit (Institut Pasteur / CNRS), directed by Uwe Maskos, investigated the toxic effects of a build-up of amyloid beta peptide in the hippocampus and the role of the nicotinic receptor in this same region of the brain.

Acetylcholine receptors, also known as nicotinic receptors, are found in the cell membrane and are sensitive to neurotransmitters. They act like pores for communication between the cell's internal environment and the outside world (see diagram). These receptors are involved in several functions of the nervous system, especially in controlling voluntary movements, memory, attention, sleep, pain and anxiety. Nicotine is an agonist for these receptors, meaning that it can act on these targets instead of acetylcholine.

Nine genes code for nicotinic receptor subunits in the hippocampus, and four of these subunits are part of the receptor involved in this process (β2 twice, α2, α4 and α5). The scientists are working to determine the exact composition of this pentamer so that they can assess its suitability as a pharmaceutical target on which therapeutic molecules can be tested.

They decided to focus specifically on the role of the β2 subunit of the nicotinic receptor. To do this, they created a mouse model in which the β2 subunit was inactivated by blocking the gene coding for it. Memory tests performed on this model showed that the individuals were protected from the toxic effects of amyloid beta peptide and did not develop the cognitive deficit associated with Alzheimer's disease.

The scientists were therefore able to prove that the β2 subunit of the nicotinic receptor is the direct target of soluble amyloid beta peptide.

"Characterizing this new therapeutic target will enable us to test molecules that are capable of blocking the β2 subunit. The aim is to find a therapeutic molecule that resembles nicotine but does not have the same harmful effects (dependence, premature cell aging, increased heart rate, effects on the gastroenteric system, etc.)," explained Uwe Maskos, the main author of the study.

This research is protected by patent. It is supported by the Institut Pasteur and the CNRS and has also received funding from the BrainTrain European project, the French Foundation for Medical Research, the Greater Paris region and the Gilbert Lagrue foundation.

Story Source:

The above post is reprinted from materials provided by Institut PasteurNote: Content may be edited for style and length.

Journal Reference:

1. Sylvia Lombardo, Julie Catteau, Morgane Besson, Uwe Maskos. A role for β2* nicotinic receptors in a model of local amyloid pathology induced in dentate gyrus.Neurobiology of Aging, 2016; 46: 221 DOI:10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2016.06.005

Cite This Page:

Institut Pasteur. "Alzheimer's: Nicotinic receptors as a new therapeutic target." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 29 August 2016. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160829123145.htm>.

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really cool ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. We really need some advances to battle this horrible disease.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a lot to be said about medical marijuana - not only for Alzheimer's but for many other ailments as well.....

I've read articles saying that both of the principal compounds of cannabis - THC and CBD can eliminate amyloid plaque which figures strongly in Alzheimer's......
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if they'd make some headway to prevention as well as a cure.

Sorry, if this is too crude, but I couldn't resist.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody go smoke a JdN dark Antaño or LFD. That way you'll always remember vomiting that one day you smoked that JdN or LFD. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    peter4jc said:

One of the latest articles I've read says that, by the time Alzheimer's is detected, it's already too late. And the damage, however slight, isn't reversible. Much like glaucoma, the best that can be done is to prevent further damage....

Sorry for the thread jacking. I'll bow out, now.....  :#
    edited September 2016
    jlmarta said:
    peter4jc said:

One of the latest articles I've read says that, by the time Alzheimer's is detected, it's already too late. And the damage, however slight, isn't reversible. Much like glaucoma, the best that can be done is to prevent further damage....

Sorry for the thread jacking. I'll bow out, now.....  :#
    No bowing out Marty I like and appreciate what you have to say. My father is currently trying to prevent Alzheimer's by changing diet and excercise because his Dad, my closest grandfather, has it bad and barely recognizes us and can hardly even function anymore and needs 24/7 direct skilled care. This is very real for me so hearing these types of things are great and I like what you add. Oh and the "disagree" was me disagreeing with you bowing out FYI didn't want it taken the wrong way my respected friend :)

And PS, Peter it wasn't disrespectful but rather brought some levity to a downer of a topic, even with how real this is for me and mine I found it funny ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Thanks for the kind words, Brett. Looked at one way it was thread jacking because the original thrust of the thread related to nicotine. Plus, @silvermouse put a lot of effort into his original post and it wasn't nice of me to switch the nicotine aspect to that of medical MJ. 

On the other hand, the subject of Alzheimer's is relevant to both the nicotine and the MJ so maybe @silvermouse will excuse me. 

I've done a bit of research from the Alzheimer's aspect and have learned quite a bit. One of the more interesting reads I've come across is about an outfit called the Realm of Caring. They're at www.theroc.us in case anyone is interested. 
    Thanks Marty will check that out, and I can also see where you're coming from. My apologies Edward if I've taken this off topic. 

Brett
    Here's a link to a story that'll grab your heart-strings:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health/charlotte-child-medical-marijuana/
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    threadjacking is a time-honored part of social media, no need to apologize at all. 
    You're a gentleman, Edward. I should have started a new thread and will if you say so. 

I think the nicotine aspect deserves more research and I'll look into it when I can. The dosage of nicotine may prove problematic as is the MJ in a lot of instances. But still worth looking into. 

Thanks....   :D
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A more serious comment after thinking a little. Assuming this effect holds in humans...

I wonder what the relative nicotine doses look like and if delivery matters. Would an occasional cigar with slow nicotine delivery be enough to mimic the effect? Or would the nice level needed be insane and more detrimental to other bodily systems? 

I do hope this research is fruitful and at least helps get us close to a cure or better understanding of Alzheimers. 

Perhaps tangentially related. If you think pharma prices are high now, imagine the tag on an Alzheimers cure/treatment!  I won't comment on whether this is "good" or "bad", but certainly would have a huge impact, especially on something like Medicare part D spending, which covers presc. drugs for those 65 and over.

Interesting issues (to me, anyway) on how much of these expensive and highly innovative drugs should be covered under public programs and how to best provide access to these drugs.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    There's also a lot to be said about medical marijuana - not only for Alzheimer's but for many other ailments as well.....

I've read articles saying that both of the principal compounds of cannabis - THC and CBD can eliminate amyloid plaque which figures strongly in Alzheimer's......
    I am a grower of medical marijuana here in colorado, I have 20 patients I grow for.
    I have 1 patient with Dravet syndrome, medical doctors couldn't help at all.
    After just 1 month of CBD and THC oil treatment he has gone from 300+ seizures a week down to 3 or 4 a week.  It's really quite remarkable to see it with your own eyes.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    jlmarta said:

I am a grower of medical marijuana here in colorado, I have 20 patients I grow for.
    After just 1 month of CBD and THC oil treatment he has gone from 300+ seizures a week down to 3 or 4 a week.  It's really quite remarkable to see it with your own eyes.
    There's a similar story about a young girl named Charlotte Figi who has been helped tremendously by CBD. Pretty impressive stuff. 
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    jlmarta said:

There's a similar story about a young girl named Charlotte Figi who has been helped tremendously by CBD. Pretty impressive stuff. 
    I seen a documentary on TV about this poor girl. Charlotte's Web is what it was called. I believe this story and others influenced Dr. Sanjay Gupta's opinion on this subject. It was truly remarkable how her condition was affected by non THC oil I believe. The parents couldn't afford all the pills and medication she was given which nearly killed her. Pretty remarkable.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

jlmarta said:
    jlmarta said:

I seen a documentary on TV about this poor girl. Charlotte's Web is what it was called. I believe this story and others influenced Dr. Sanjay Gupta's opinion on this subject. It was truly remarkable how her condition was affected by non THC oil I believe. The parents couldn't afford all the pills and medication she was given which nearly killed her. Pretty remarkable.
    Ya I have a similar strain, I call it blackberry, it's hard to breed the THC levels down to the right levels, it took me 3 years in a breeding program to get it right.  But it was well worth the fight.
    I know the Charlotte's Web guys from Denver they do an amazing job.

@Sketch6995 welcome from another Colorado member! If you are ever in the Fort Collins, Boulder, Longmont, or Northern Colorado area let me know and would love to meet up and herf with you! 

My son has Tier 2 autism and we have been doing some reading about CBD oils and that in SOME (really just depends on each case from what we have seen so far) cases there have been tremendous breakthroughs in helping children with autism.

Brett
    Hi Brett
    I'm Jeff, in GJ and id love to hook up, I recently discovered cigars,  and was so impressed with its flavor I ran out and bought a humidore.  Seasoning it as we speak.
    My wife and I are very familiar with autism, she worked for school district 51 for 23 yrs in special ed.
    When my little growing hobby blew up into a full fledged business, she up and quit lol.
    I work hand in hand with the MD  that writes the scripts,  and the only way I could talk him into doing this to begin with was if he had some input into things like dosages.  He wanted real medicine, so as a consequence we Taylor make our oils to suit the patients need.
    Here's one of my YouTube vids.

https://youtu.be/cATdcgH3Tl8

Autism and CBD/THC interactions have been in some cases quite startling.....and some cases had zero overall effect.  It'**** and miss, but most studies have really only utilized CBD without the THC.  When combined is when the results have shown the most promise.

I don't get over the hill often, but next time I do I'll hit you up.
    Thanks for the welcome you guys have all been amazing.
    Jeff

Thanks Jeff I will be reaching out via PM to discuss this further, would be really interesting to learn more as I would hope t start looking into this wit more server than I previously had.

Hope we can hook up in the next few months, would be my treat of course and welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! With seasoning your new humidor patience is KEY! A true two weeks is typically what it takes, feel free to ask questions and myself and many others would be happy to help!

Thanks,
    Brett