Home General Discussion

Bitterness on the tongue.

Has anyone else ever experienced a drastic bitterness when they let the smoke hit their tongue? This has been trend for me recently, with all types of cigars... it doesn't seem to matter what I'm smoking. The smoke will taste fine if I puff into the sides of my mouth, but if I let the smoke hit my tongue while drawing, I get this really bitter taste.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm... ive had this happen when the cigar is too dry or when it burns to fast. if your humidity is OK then i would do my best to slow down. if this doenst work... well, lets cross that bridge when we get there.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I was gonna suggest the same thing, if its all your cigars I'd calibrate the hygrometer and check the humidity. Maybe as an experiment, pick up a fresh cigar from a B&M and smoke it right away to remove your humidor from the equation.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    gott.des.feuer:
    Has anyone else ever experienced a drastic bitterness when they let the smoke hit their tongue? This has been trend for me recently, with all types of cigars... it doesn't seem to matter what I'm smoking. The smoke will taste fine if I puff into the sides of my mouth, but if I let the smoke hit my tongue while drawing, I get this really bitter taste.
    What are you using to cut the cigar?
  • Read below (edit for grammar made a duplicate reply for some reason).
  • kuzi16:
    hmmm... ive had this happen when the cigar is too dry or when it burns to fast. if your humidity is OK then i would do my best to slow down. if this doenst work... well, lets cross that bridge when we get there.
    If anything the cigar would be too wet... it wasn't until just recently that the beads I put in there finally brought the RH down to 68. Even then, though, the RH hasn't been above 73 since I moved the humi down to the basement about a month or two ago, and I caught that spike pretty quickly.

Capt:
    What are you using to cut the cigar?
    A pair of Xikar MX2 cigar scissors. I'll use the punch on my Colibri lighter occasionally, and hardly ever use my guillotine anymore. Might try the guillotine again for the sake of science. Although, like I said, the bitterness is only if the smoke hits the tongue on the draw... other than that the cigars taste fine.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    I know past experience has proven with a punch, tar tends to build up along the little hole the punch makes. Not a big enough cut for proper draw, IMHO. Do you blow through the cigar while smoking, blowing stale smoke out of the cigar every few puffs?
  • Capt:
    I know past experience has proven with a punch, tar tends to build up along the little hole the punch makes. Not a big enough cut for proper draw, IMHO. Do you blow through the cigar while smoking, blowing stale smoke out of the cigar every few puffs?
    Yep, I find that gently blowing through the cigar while turning it a few times before taking a puff also helps it burn more evenly and lets me stick more closely to the puff-a-minute guideline.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive never had the problem the capitan is talkin about but thats just me. ive heard about it before so... they must be doing something different.

as far as too much RH...
    if you have to do a corrective light every so often due to uneven burn or whatever from overhumidification then maybe you are scoarching the tobacco. i have a tendency to do this with cigars that dont burn evenlay as well.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I have had this happen a couple of times but only when i get half way threw the cigar but its only happened twice
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've noticed bitterness on the tongue when the cigar is too moist and also when it is too dry and burns hot.