Home General Discussion

Future Purchase

Well, I haven't bought my humidor yet .I found one I really like but it has a glass top, so correct me if I'm wrong won't humidity escape through the top cracks between the glass and wood? or am I better off with an all wood humi?? OR am I paranoid? 

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I do not own a glass top. However many people do own one and have zero problems with them. I would say that a glass tops and those with inset hygro's may be more prone to seal issues, depending on the quality of the humidor. 

Regardless of the humidor, if you cannot see it in person, do some research and make sure it is a good quality box. Nothing is more frustrating than a humidor that is difficult to maintain. 

Take a look here too, if you haven't,  for some good advice on a 1st humi.

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/896591/veterans-advice-to-newbie-first-humidor/p1
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few glass top humis and they've been hit and miss for me.  One works beautifully and the other two were constant problems.  I agree that you should see it in person first.  That way you can at least see if it seals well.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Jcdawg23Jcdawg23 Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I have a glass top humi I got for "free" with that deal on cigar.com, and it works great. I have more of an issue with the humidifier I have in it. I think once I get a new one all will be right with the world.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three glass tops and no problems with any of them, one of these is 19 years old and was not very well taken care of for most of that (and the analog hygrometer still works and is accurate :) )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aquarium sealer.
    That is all you need to correct the glass leakage.
    As long as the lid seals fairly decent, they are no different than humidors without glass, as long as the glass is sealed properly, which is where the aquarium sealer comes in.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second the aquarium sealer. That or go with a cooler.

Dave
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    120 qt igloo cooler @ walmart less than 80. If you are going to be dipping into cigars save the crap humi $$$ for coolers and gars. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've been running a glass top "cheap humidor" for about 7 years or so, never had a problem. 

just check the seal (see below) when you get it, and if it passes the test then you're good to go.  but if the seal is bad when you get it, then i'd recommend sending it back for a refund or replacement. 

Test the seal.
    One of the easiest ways to do this is to get a dollar bill and open your humidor lid.
    Place half of the bill inside the humidor and half outside.
    Close the lid and then try to pull the bill out.
    A properly sealed humidor will make pulling the bill out pretty difficult.
    If the humidor's seal is not airtight, the bill will come out easily.
    Perform the dollar bill test on the front and sides of the humidor.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• 10toes5410toes54 Posts: 85 ✭✭
    0patience said:
    Aquarium sealer.
    As long as the lid seals fairly decent, they are no different than humidors without glass, as long as the glass is sealed properly, which is where the aquarium sealer comes in.
    this probably wouldn't be a problem but what about tasting the plastic from the sealant in your cigars?

• NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I have a glass top on one humidor and a glass front on the other 0 issues with either. but if I did I would have used silicone. (which is what aquarium sealer is)
    edited September 2016
    The reason aquarium sealer is recommended is because it isn't supposed to give off fumes or tastes.
    If you think about it, would you use something on an aquarium that would harm a $500 fish?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited September 2016
    This was my hobby:

photo 44DBgrx_zpsfd4ceaadjpg

This is my job:

www.sealtechind.com

Once it dries silicone is fine. Some silicone has anti fungal, anti bacteria agents those you do not want in your aquarium. Bacteria is the building block for maintaining a healthy system. it won't hurt your humidor.  
    Silicone is often used as a generic term for sealer.
    Automotive Permatex, while having silicone in it, I would bever use it for a humi or aquarium, because it has a very nasty smell to it.
    Point is, there are many different sealers that are considered silicone and they aren't all the same.

I've used some silicone sealers, that ran most the guys out of the shop because of the smell.
    They were xonsidered silicone, but because of the automotive applications, the additives in them were nasty.

I recommend aquarium sealer, because that industry makes stuff geared to low VOC sealer use. 
    And most folks may not know what to look for in a sealer.

Some newer sealers are going elastoplastic polycarbonate sealers, so a person really needs to look at what they are buying.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe there have been at least three posts mentioning the word "silicone" in this topic and no one has posted the obvious applicable joke photo. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed. 
    lol, well you can go to HD and buy generic silicone and it will be fine. But it also won't harm anything if you use aquarium silicone. It's just really not needed. The stuff you would get for your bathroom for example is obviously not toxic, but it will likely have an anti fungal ant bacteria agent in it. and I doubt that is going to ruin your cigars.

Image result for silicone implants

And yes, this is a better use :)
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    My faith in the group is now restored.   :D
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Aquarium sealer.

That's brilliant! I wonder why I never thought of that?  lol

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • 10toes5410toes54 Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Well after reading all the comments (and the boobs! OH the boobs lol)I finally found the one I want  The rest of the "stuff" I'm getting from a different website .Decided not to go the route of the  "sealant",But thanks for the input guys :wink: