Home Non Cigar Related

It just occurred to me

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've always been sort of a history buff. And I started reading Winds of War yesterday ( a great book btw) And it occurred to me that I've got someone in my house right now ( my mother in law is now living with us ) who just happens to be 91. The changes she's had to have seen and lived through have got to be amazing. I mean when you think of it when she was born most people still got around on horse and buggy and never went more than 50 miles from where they were born. So I was thinking I'd get her to tell me about her life growing up and becoming head nurse of Huntingtons largest hospital. 

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds like an awesome story. I've never met anyone who made it through the war and the depression without a great story.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always love talking to people like that.  They have the best stories and a perspective that you can't find anywhere else these days. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's amazing hearing the depression babies stories. It's no wonder they fear for our futures so much. 
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Our local nursing home closed earlier this year and until it started moving the residents to other facilities it was a wealth of history for anyone caring enough to visit.
    The oldest resident, unconfirmed by legal papers, was 108. She had seen more change in her life than anyone I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Everyone there had great stories and loved nothing more than for someone to simply sit and listen. Time well spent in my book. Give it a try and make someone's day.