Home Non Cigar Related

Alzheimer's

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I figured I'd better start a new thread instead of continuing to thread Jack the one started by Edward @silvermouse. Although the topics are closely related, he's too much of a gentleman to make an issue of it. 

He pointed out in his thread that nicotine may be useful in the treatment of Alzheimer's and his point was well taken. As an adjunct, the topics of medical marijuana and the compounds THC and CBD were introduced, and the thread Jack began. 

So here we are, with a catch-all topic (Alzheimer's ) that will embrace nicotine, medical marijuana, and anything else relative to Alzheimer's. So jump on in here, folks, and add your 'leventeen cents worth. 

As a result of Charlotte's Web I began doing a bit of research because I found it to be an interesting topic. It turns out that there are a lot of resources out there on the web with some really interesting information. 

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here's a link to a pretty interesting and informative forum:

https://www.theroc.us/forum/getting-started
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just reading a cigar review at kohned and happened to read one where the reviewer talks about having alzheimers. I had read a few of his reviews before and never saw this. I don't know if he's posted anything substantial on it.  This and the nicotine thread just reminded me of that, since he's a fellow cigar guy. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just reading a cigar review at kohned and happened to read one where the reviewer talks about having alzheimers. I had read a few of his reviews before and never saw this. I don't know if he's posted anything substantial on it.  This and the nicotine thread just reminded me of that, since he's a fellow cigar guy. 
    https://kohnhed.com/2015/10/28/alzheimers-disease-hows-and-whys-cigar-reviews-by-the-katman/
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep and he's fairly young and the posts were quite sad after he was diagnosed but I find him funny as hell.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love his reviews. Alzheimer's is some awful stuff. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting stuff.  I've wondered about Parkinsons and Lou Gehrigs disease being benefited by nicotine as well.

As for the medical marijuana issue, well, that is a sticky wicket, isn't it?  The U.S. Govt's position is and has been "no known medical use", despite the experience of millions of individuals to the contrary, as well as the testimony of the head of the American Medical Association at the Congressional hearings that originally made it illegal, wherein the AMA's official position was that cannabis was one of the most medically useful herbal substances known, and one of the most commonly prescribed.  He was told that "if you're not going to help (make it illegal) then sit down."  Thus began a cycle in which real science repeatedly reports benefits, or at least no evidence of harm, to which the official U.S. Government has repeated the circular reasoning that goes like this:  We said it was bad, therefore it is bad, and we know this because we have said that it is bad, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. 

And so it goes, on and on and on and on....

One thing I'm sure of, the DEA has destroyed more lives each and every week of its existence than all the marijuana ever used ever has.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Parkinson's and Lou Gehrig's disease are only a couple of the many ailments being helped by medical marijuana. I haven't done any research on the nicotine aspect but I can tell you that there's a ton of info available regarding MMJ (medical marijuana) out there on the web. 

If any of you were to take the time to scroll down through the list of threads available on the one forum I posted a link to (above) I think you'd be amazed at the number of ailments mentioned. For example, I was surprised to learn that Multiple Sclerosis is one of them, as is Alzheimer's. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it's the same if you copped a bag from your buddy or if it's grown to bring out certain traits vs getting a buzz on?
    Rhamlin said:
    I wonder if it's the same if you copped a bag from your buddy or if it's grown to bring out certain traits vs getting a buzz on?
    From what I've read, THC and CBD - two of the major compounds in cannabis - will each help with, for example, Alzheimer's. The difference is that THC is the psychoactive element and CBD isn't. You get the 'high' from THC. 

The link  I posted above takes you to The Realm of Caring which is a non-profit organization specializing in helping folks with many different ailments by the use of a strain of cannabis that's high in CBD and with almost NO THC in it. They grow that strain specifically for folks who want the benefits of cannabis but without the 'high'. 

I found the topic quite interesting.... 
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a thread I can really get behind.....
    I am a medical marijuana grower and I don't mind answering any questions.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.