Home Non Cigar Related

Do you even camp bro?? Tent Edition.

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
My family and I have discovered the fun and adventure of tent camping. We are going on our last camping trip this weekend. We currently have 2, 4-person tents and have added a canopy to our campsite. We are thinking that we are ready to upgrade to a larger, cabin style tent.
Any advice from you veteran tent campers?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pads
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pads hell, i am thinking airbeds
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    REI Kingdom 8. Easy to set up and very roomy and sturdy. At 60, I gave up sleeping on the ground and now use a padded cot. Sleep like a baby and I can stand up to put my pants on in the morning.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one of these at a returned goods liquidation store. I really wasn't sure of the value and wasn't sure how hard it would be to set up but, after doing some research (googling) I decided I should have bought it when I had the chance. They're called Sibley tents. I kinda like 'em.  
    Image result for sibley tent
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Pads
    Yeah. The kids each use a camp pad and the wifey and I have airbeds. We have two twins and a queen so we have a pretty versitile set up.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    I saw one of these at a returned goods liquidation store. I really wasn't sure of the value and wasn't sure how hard it would be to set up but, after doing some research (googling) I decided I should have bought it when I had the chance. They're called Sibley tents. I kinda like 'em.  
    Looks like bwana on safari.

I like to take a wee little hammock well up trail, away from that glorified parking lot where you listen to RV generators all night. If you ain't shittin in the woods, then you ain't camping. If you don't wake up to the sound of bear grunting then you didn't sleep right. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I used a hammock for camping on my summer hike on the AT that lasted all of one night when I blew out my knee.  It was fun, but I'm not sure how I'd like it in inclement weather.

I'd keep the smaller tents.  I really wish we went to two rather than a larger cabin tent.  Give me and the wife some privacy, y'know?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel said:
    I used a hammock for camping on my summer hike on the AT that lasted all of one night when I blew out my knee.  It was fun, but I'm not sure how I'd like it in inclement weather.

I'd keep the smaller tents.  I really wish we went to two rather than a larger cabin tent.  Give me and the wife some privacy, y'know?
    We have discussed that but the kids are 7, 5 and 3 so it makes the wife more comfortable having them in the same area. We will be keeping both 4 man tents so once they get older, out the door they go.
    webmost said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    Looks like bwana on safari.

I like to take a wee little hammock well up trail, away from that glorified parking lot where you listen to RV generators all night. If you ain't shittin in the woods, then you ain't camping. If you don't wake up to the sound of bear grunting then you didn't sleep right. 

I LOVE to hammock camp but with the wee kids, we are sticking to camp grounds. The places we have been going have primitive sites away from the big RVs. In the above picture, we were camping with 10 families from church so we had to be among the big rigs.
    Martel said:
    I used a hammock for camping on my summer hike on the AT....  It was fun, but I'm not sure how I'd like it in inclement weather.

Actually, a hammock stays way drier in weather. I had to laugh at the other three fellers I went canoe camping with last year in the Boundary Wilderness. Rain? It was one frog strangling downpour after another. Those guys were schlepping giant wet tents from site to site. Water seeped up from the ground, and things never had a chance to dry out. My hammock? Well up out of the wet. Long as you know how to stretch the rain fly, you are impervious. We no sooner got back from that trip my one buddy had to go buy one. It's not what leaks down; it's what leaks up that gets to you.

Also keeps you up away from six legged critters to an extent. Chiggers, for instance, they can't jump that high. 

Ah me. I need to go camping again before snow hits.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking about a hammock for my hiking trips. Great info @webmost
    @MikeTodd - three children tells me you need a big cabin tent. I would go larger than you think because I never have enough for my gear when it's raining and I'm stuck inside. I have seen a few tents that have an attached screened porches. Those are nice.  I just upgraded and I already wished it was bigger. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    Those look cool. I dunno how useful they'd be; but they look interesting enough to try one just for kix.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Seems to me like it'd be like living on a trampoline with a very low roof. Or maybe it was built for a dwarf...  

i dunno, man. It's just too wierd to contemplate....   B)

Besides, if creepy-crawlies and wigglers bother you, you should take up surfing or hang gliding or something. You've got no business being out in the woods....   :p
    Watch their video, the whole thing of being able to set-up over a waterfall is awesome. I know a guy who used one. He said there is no bounce and very little give. It's more of a platform and less of a trampoline.

webmost said:
    Martel said:
    I used a hammock for camping on my summer hike on the AT....  It was fun, but I'm not sure how I'd like it in inclement weather.

Actually, a hammock stays way drier in weather. I had to laugh at the other three fellers I went canoe camping with last year in the Boundary Wilderness. Rain? It was one frog strangling downpour after another. Those guys were schlepping giant wet tents from site to site. Water seeped up from the ground, and things never had a chance to dry out. My hammock? Well up out of the wet. Long as you know how to stretch the rain fly, you are impervious. We no sooner got back from that trip my one buddy had to go buy one. It's not what leaks down; it's what leaks up that gets to you.

Also keeps you up away from six legged critters to an extent. Chiggers, for instance, they can't jump that high. 

I was thinking more along the lines of high wind and cold temperatures.  But I agree that wet from below stinks, and I've had my share of tents in the wind to know they're not perfect, either.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel said:
    webmost said:
    Martel said:

I was thinking more along the lines of high wind and cold temperatures.  But I agree that wet from below stinks, and I've had my share of tents in the wind to know they're not perfect, either.
    Depending on the rigging you have and where you are located the winds are not a big deal. I use Enos Slap Straps. The thing about a hammock is that you don't need the open space a tent uses so you hcan be in an area with more of a din break. As for the cold, most campers that hammock in the colder weather use a camp pad or some type of insulation between them and the hammock just like you would a tent.
    I take mine with us when we go camping and usuall set it up and sleep in it at least a night depending on weather.
    MikeTodd said:
    Martel said:
    webmost said:
    Martel said:

Depending on the rigging you have and where you are located the winds are not a big deal. I use Enos Slap Straps. The thing about a hammock is that you don't need the open space a tent uses so you hcan be in an area with more of a din break. As for the cold, most campers that hammock in the colder weather use a camp pad or some type of insulation between them and the hammock just like you would a tent.
    I take mine with us when we go camping and usuall set it up and sleep in it at least a night depending on weather.
    Yeah, if it weren't for my next trip being with the family, I might rig up my hammock as a try out for cooler nights.  I'd still say convection plays a bigger role in the hammock over conduction, and I don't think the ridgerest would be as efficient with wind as it is at keeping conduction low.  Second weekend in October.  I want to sleep in the hammock.  My wife wants a tent heater.  We need therapy.

You know what works great, surprisingly enough? A mylar sheet. One of those survival blankies. I've seen some hammocks have velcros underneath to attach one. I use a stadium blanket. Got it free at a minor league game. Have also used the leather motorcycle jacket with great success.

I gotta get out under God's sky here soon. Aching for some wilderness.

• Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was in very northern Maine. Almost two hours from the nearest paved road or cell coverage. The key for the fam (mom and sister) is plenty of coverage for rain, a queen sized air mattress, and portable toilet. My son and I go much lighter, tarps and hammocks 
    Camping with 2 other families. 9 kids that are 7 years old and under.

So, Whadja do in your spare time??  <yuk, yuk>   :#

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumping this up. I'm going on my annual cold camp trip. I'll be in my warbonnet blackbird hammock under a warbonnet superfly tarp. It's the highlight of my year as far as solo activities go. 3 day boy scout camp for grown men. We throw tomahawks and do cast iron cook off. Weekend forecast looks promising
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She could braid your beard

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take 2!
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
    Man's gotta keep warm.

I’d comment but my tongue got stiff and...... thbbfff..