Home Cigar 101

Need Temperature Advice

arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
Ok have not been on here in some time but have had family problems. I bought a humidor some time ago and was having a lot problems with it. Later found out that it had only 1/8 inch ceder wood in it so it would not hold RH worth a damn. So just recently my mom bought me a bday gift of a new humidor. She got me the 5 Vegas box humidor. I like it a lot but am having a problem with keeping the temp down. I live in the Mohave desert it gets hot here ( like 120 and higher) I keep the ac at 79 in the summer but in the winter ( like now ) I turn it off when its cooler ( for us like 75 deg) With the temp that high the humidor gets up to 79 or 80 with a RH at 64--70 I have been reading a lot about the right temp and RH. I need to know if anyone here has any ideas how to fix this or are the temp and rh ok ? I was looking at the Newair CC-300 does anyone here have this unit? If so does it work?(keep the temp down)

Comments

• jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to California problems! I have found that the only way to keep the temp below 70 is with a wineador. I also have a desktop and a coolidor that regularly get close to 80. As long as the rh stays around 65 everything is ok. I've found that if the rh gets closer to 70, I run into mold problems.  I check for beetles pretty regularly though. There's a couple great threads on freezing to prevent beetles that you might want to check out. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    I have tried the freezing method but thought it made the cigars have a bite and loose of flavor to me. The Newair CC-300 is a wineador I don't under stand how they work. I know they have a computer fan in them but do they keep the RH good? 
    edited September 2016
    I don't have a newair, but the one I have holds 65 degrees with 62- 65% rh without any problems. I use boveda packs in it. 

I just looked at it and it seems like it would be a great unit. Already has all the drawers and everything! Get a good digital hygrometer and you're all set. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
    How many boveda pack at a time and how often do you change them?Do you know the cu feet of it? Or how many cigars it holds? The Newair holds 400 and is 2.5 cu feet
    Not sure about the cu ft size of mine. It holds about 300 sticks or so. It started life as a wine fridge. I bought drawers and shelves to convert it. I use 2 large boveda per drawer (probably overkill) with 2 stuck to the roof. As for the life of the boveda, I just recharge them and use them over and over. They are about 2 years old now and just as good as the day I got them. 

Didn't know you could recharge them (newb lol ) DO you just soak them in distilled water?How long? And Thank you for the help :)
    You can soak them but I don't. I place them in a Tupperware container with a small bowl of distilled water. It takes a few days but I don't have to think about them. I rotate them out every couple weeks. Don't sweat the newb thing. We all are in one way or another! 

So its like they recharge them selves lol
    Yup. I like to keep it simple. 

What RH boveda packs do you use? And how many grams are they?
    I use the 60 gram 65% ones. I used the 69% for a while but I've found that I like my cigars a little drier. 

You said two per shelf so how many in total? in the humidor at a time sorry if I am asking to many questions 
    No need to apologize. That's why we're all here. I have 6 or so in the wineador at any given time. Sometimes more if they're all charged up. I figure more is better.  :D

I was reading that if you use more its just more efficiently and need to be replaced less often. So I think that will be the best for me. I will buy the 20 pack of 65 rh 60 gram packs and get the Newair CC-300 that sould be enough packs 10 per change thank you for the help I will let you know how it works out can I send you a freind request and how do I do that lol 
    I don't know if there are friend requests on this forum. We do have a pretty neat newsletter if you're interested though. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy. 

Did I do that right?

or did you want my email address

I got it. I'll send it out Monday morning. Poke around the forums a bit. There's a great group of folks around here. Also, if you haven't already you should introduce yourself in the welcome thread. 

I did that a long time ago lol back in 2014 wow seems longer than that a lot has gone on for me since then' good and bad but that's life 
    and thank you again lol

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ imposter.... :neutral:
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Too funny!

Wow you don't know how funny I just changed my pic because when I was on here before I had the same pic as someone else. I guess I will change it again lol

OK if anyone has this one please let me know lol
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    65/65 or 62/65 are what I like and yeah the pic threw me off a little. For me higher temp lower rh. Lower temp reasonable rh. Imho lower temps are always the way to go! Less mold and more promising aging potential 
    Money can't buy taste