Home General Discussion

Need advice!!

I bought 20 5 vegas classic cigars on the daily deal around first of august..they only took 3 days to get here n came as four 5 packs. They went straight into my humi...The problem is i tried to cut a couple n they instantly cracked. I noticed it didnt ship with any humi pack but figured they know what they are doing though it was in the 90's here at the time. So i let them sit till today n tried to cut another one n the wrapper just shredded. It was a new cutter n i dont have that problem with my other sticks. I guess my question is how long do i need to let them sit before they heal...or will they? Ive never had a problem with an order before but its $40.00 worth of cigars. Dont mind letting them sit if u guys think they will come around though.

Comments

• I've read that you can let them sit for awhile and they will gradually settle, however sometimes if the batch is bad so to speak there is nothing you can do. Not sure how true this is as I'm just starting out so I hope you can figure out a way to save them! :)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they crack from the cut,.... or did they split open while you smoked them? 
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

What kind of cutter is it?

When I first started I had similar problems, it turns out that the brand new Colibri Dbl. Guillotine that was part of a deal was a POS, I bought a Xikar XI, no more problems.

What do your cigars sound like? Hold one between your thumb and forfinger and lightly squeeze while rolling it back and forth, a light crinkly sound is okay, if it sounds like rice crispies when you add milk they might be too dry.    

• 6string6string Posts: 14
    I havent been able to smoke one yet n if i lightly squeezed one when i first got them it cracked. I just tried another one n it seems fine so im gonna get a better cutter n try that n let them sit a bit longer. Just never have trouble with any of my other smokes n some of them have cameroon wrappers...lol
  • I second @onestrangeone re: Colibri cutters. I thought it was a good cutter until I bought a Xikar, no comparison. Don't give up!
    " You gone too far when you mess wit the man wit no eyes."
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Colibri cutter that is worth a damn is their Vcutter, otherwise for me its all Xikar.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to ask the obvious here.  Is the humid seasoned and the correct RH?
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the problems continue call CCOM. They have a great customer service crew.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick lick on the cap before you cut can prevent small cracks and tears. But if the cigars are super dry or just bad construction that probably won't help. If it was a CCOM shipment, I would lean towards bum sticks rather than improper storage.

I do let cigars rest after a shipment to settle and get to the rh I like, but have never experienced a bad cut because they were ROTT. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 6string6string Posts: 14
    Thanks for the suggestions... def gonna try wetting the cap gray4lines n Yes...i have a small coolidor with heartfelt beads at a perfect 65rh. Im pretty sure they dried out during shipping in 90+ temperatures so im just gonna let them sit n come back to them again later. Ive never had a problem with any order from ccom so im gonna try some of the suggestions on here n chalk it up to bad luck...lol