Home General Discussion

Cigar Oasis Excel

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
Is anyone using one of these in their 300 ct.? If so; How do you like it? Do you have the Wifi accessory/app? If so; how do you like that as well? Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at that also. Sounds like too much work and attention needed. Don't think you can go wrong with boveda packs for a 300 count. So easy and dummy proof( especially for me).
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use that one but I do use a different brand. I absolutely love it. there is a review of it here

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/895465/electric-humidifiers#latest

I really wouldn't use anything else
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I don't use that one but I do use a different brand. I absolutely love it. there is a review of it here

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/895465/electric-humidifiers#latest

I really wouldn't use anything else
    Thank you.
    Just wanted to let you guys know about my experience so far. I got the Cigar Oasis Excel with the WiFi attachment. Although everything is operational, the C.O.'s Hygrometer does not seem to be calibrated. I've Calibrated my Hygro. 3 times. Twice with the Salt method and, per the instruction of Cigar Oasis, finally, with the Boveda One Step Calibration kit 75%. So, I know that is correct. Basically the C.O. thinks my Humidor is about 10-13 points higher in humidity than it actually is. Tech support is working with me but, it has been about three weeks now and I fear ultimately I will be sending this unit back for a replacement. The only other thing I can say about this unit is that it takes up a fair amount of space in the Humi. (about 6 (Toro sized) Cigars worth).
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah for me it just seems like overkill compared to a couple boveda packs that will take up less space and dont have the headache of what you are going through.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this unit in a small tower and it works great for it, but the hydrometer on mine is way off too.  As Brad stated for a humidor boveda packs are the way to go, takes up no space and always work.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Boveda for the win! Idiot proof and does the job. If you want you can add a cheap fan and your gold! Just FYI the co's use the green foam so beware!
    Money can't buy taste
    Update. They're sending me a new unit. I like the set it and forget thing. I have a good calibrated Hygrometer in the Humi so, there will be no issues as I have a reliable reading of RH%. We'll see how it goes with the new unit. Didn't have great luck with Boveda as I used to use them a while back.
    Boveda's should just be set it and forget it more than a Cigar Oasis is.  You have to worry about filling the reservoir on the CO where Bovedas you just swap in new ones and recharge the old ones once they dry out.

Either way hopefully the new unit works out for you.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Wait. You can re-charge Bovedas????
    Yeah.  I take a big Tupperware container put the bovedas in there with a bowl of water and they will soak up the water overtime.  You can also go with a more direct method of soaking them in water but i find the outer coating gets a little iffy doing that.  I use 6 packs in each of my cooler with another 6 recharging so they are always ready to go.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    KCW said:
    Wait. You can re-charge Bovedas????
    I just found out about this too. It seems they can be placed in a tupperware container with a small glass of water, and they will reabsorb.  I'll be trying this soon.
    I must have been absent that day. That is good to know. Thanks guys.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes recharging bovedas is truly a game changer, they are the best.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Boveda's should just be set it and forget it more than a Cigar Oasis is.  You have to worry about filling the reservoir on the CO where Bovedas you just swap in new ones and recharge the old ones once they dry out.

I do not think there is a big difference in work involved.  take all your bovedas out and recharge them, take a reservoir out and add a little water. I love the unit I use.

And the hygrometer works lol.

The other thing I will mention about the unit I use, you don't have to flip through multiple setting to view your parameters. Temp, set point, current humidity, and 3 day average are all displayed at once and easy to see. for the cabinet. I am not sure it's not a lot easier than having to spread multiple boveda packs around.    

I do not think there is a big difference in work involved.  take all your bovedas out and recharge them, take a reservoir out and add a little water. I love the unit I use.

And the hygrometer works lol.

The other thing I will mention about the unit I use, you don't have to flip through multiple setting to view your parameters. Temp, set point, current humidity, and 3 day average are all displayed at once and easy to see. for the cabinet. I am not sure it's not a lot easier than having to spread multiple boveda packs around.    
    Actually, I have the WiFi attachment. I just look on my phone to see everything I want. Current RH%, Temp. Reports , Charts. I don't even have to open the Humi. to see where its at. I love this feature.