Home General Discussion

Bird's Eye Maple & Ebony Humidor Build

About a week ago, one of our BOTL, who wants to be anonymous, commissioned me to make a humidor out of Bird's Eye Maple and Ebony.... Two very fine examples of premium wood... Any woodworker's dream, really! This fellow pretty much ordered all the bells and whistles on this one... We're still working through the inerds.... Anyway.... It all started out with "here's what I want".... I then went out to the B&M of the lumber world.... and picked out a couple of fine pieces of Bird's Eye Maple. I saw the box in one piece, and the lid in the other piece.... Fantastic grain on that piece... image He said - "make it as big as you can with the wood you have"... which wound up being overall dims, 23"x12 3/4" x 7.5" So, that's what we did. But, first I wanted to draw it up to make sure I didn't screw up any of the cuts.... image Then, started to cut it up and laminate some of the pieces together... image When you can get it to stand up and stay like that without any glue, then you're cuts were pretty much dead on.... that's a good feeling.... And I glued up the lid. Focusing on that grain pattern... bring it up, front and center. image I'll probably work on the rest of the lid next..... I have to fit that big chunk in to the middle of the lid frame..... and, it's all going to be beveled, so I'll leave as much meat as I can before the bevel cuts. It really pays to draw it out first.....

Comments

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    HOLY cow that thing is gorgeous. I want one!!!!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    wowzer.

Can you tell us what makes the birds eye in that maple? Is it from small branches?
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    you know that is really beautiful ...
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    that is gorgeous -- i think it might be one of my favorites that you've built so far
  • Goldy:
    wowzer.

Can you tell us what makes the birds eye in that maple? Is it from small branches?
    Nobody really knows what causes it.... several theories, but science has not caught up with it yet. Currently, most explanations will have the word phenomenon....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Simply amazing. Your going to put humi vendors out of business for sure.
  • Thanks for the comments folks... this one is a pleasure to work on. Not everyday does a woodworker get to work with some of the best looking wood out there.... Although, there are some moments that are a little frightening.... that's a good time to sit and have a smoke and think it through..... image Always a sigh of relief when it comes out the other side of that blade looking like this.... image
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    That is one sexy piece of work man ..... if you have ever or do anything with teak i'd love to see the pics ....... moon you do some insane work brother
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    do you get your woods online or at a local shop?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Have you ever worked with Yew wood ? Your work is exceptional !!!
  • Thanks for all the comments! I'll try to answer the questions in one post... If I missed one, I apologize.... I get my lumber from a local hardwood dealer. He has a great selection. They do have teak! I haven't made a humi out of teak yet.... but, I would love to. Maybe I can get a custom build and do just that.... Same with Yew... although, I have not seen any Yew around these parts....
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Wow that is soooo sexy!!! Don't bring it to close to me I might get it soaked.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Excellent craftsmanship, it always a pleasure to view work of folks who know what they are doing.