Home Cigar 101

seasoning help

Hey guys, just found forum googling about seasoning a humidor so thought I could ask my question here. I recently got a humidor for a bday present and went about seasoning as it's instructions said. Placed a shotglass of distilled water in the bottom and charged the humidifier. It sat for almost 2 weeks and the humidity was at 75%. I aired it out a little to get it down to 73 and put my cigars in it(couple days ago). Checked today and it was down to 69. I know this really isn't a bad range but more worried about the humidor being seasoned properly for the long run. Without trying to read more first i added some more cigar caddy solution to it and here I am now. Is there anyway to tell besides hoping for the best and it holding a stable humidity after introducing cigars?

Thanks for help and glad to be here!

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And get a digial hygrometer and throw away the little green puck that your using for humidification. They are known to breed mold. Grab some bevedas and sit back and relax
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Also when adding more pg solution you'll get a lower rh. Pg evaporates slower then water. Plus all that 70/70 stuff you read just throw it out the window and search all the threads on this!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you're using PG solution, it only needs charged with that stuff once. Use plain distilled water after, or you'll "gunk" up whatever humidification device (over time).

The PG doesn't really evaporate much, but only acts on the distilled water present.

Also, depending on the size of the humidor and how many cigars are in it, you'll get swings of a couple percent. A full humidor maintains rh better.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lupint2tLupint2t Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone, I already got a digital hygro and I will switch out to beads soon. Got a local cigar shop i'm gonna go visit this weekend.
    Just thought i'd give an update. Got some boveda packets and used 2 of them in humidor. It's been holding constant 72. I wasn't sure what to expect on levels so i got the 72 instead of the 69. Will use them up and go for the lesser next time. Had cousin down from DC this weekend and got to enjoy some.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're progressing well. Welcome to the asylum. Hope you stick around and enjoy it. 

So, how does one pronounce your moniker?  Loopin' Tooty??  Just curious....   B)
    jlmarta said:
    Sounds like you're progressing well. Welcome to the asylum. Hope you stick around and enjoy it. 

So, how does one pronounce your moniker?  Loopin' Tooty??  Just curious....   B)
    It is Lupin(Lupine* like the werewolf) and t2t was a RPG game i used to play 15+ years ago. Back when games didn't have pictures.  B) I guess it would be pronounced loopin though.
    Thanks. No offense intended. I didn't see the first 't' when I first looked at it and Loopin' Tooty kinda gave me a mental
    giggle. 

Just part of my 'off the wall' sense of humor, I guess....  
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beans make Marty 2t.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Beans make Marty 2t.
    Well, I'm not James Galway but I can be quite musical
    at times....  :#
  • TaraLeeTaraLee Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Lupint2t said:
    jlmarta said:

It is Lupin(Lupine* like the werewolf) and t2t was a RPG game i used to play 15+ years ago. Back when games didn't have pictures.  B) I guess it would be pronounced loopin though.
     :p Well, now whenever I see your posts I'm gonna hear "Loopin' Tooty" in my head!!! 
    Welcome to the ccom BOTL!