Home Cigar 101

Shorter Smokes

GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
I've been spending my time on the forum mainly searching for answers to questions so as not to bother you all with something that's already been answered, but I need a little advice.  I enjoy winding down at night with a cigar, but don't have an hour plus to spend many nights after getting the little guys to bed.  The guy at my B&M told me that larger ring gauges and longer lengths are better for a cooler smoke.  I've mainly been buying robustos to try to get some ring gauge while trading length.  (Also about the smallest size they carry, and what you get in sampler packs online)

My question is, is there really a big difference between the different sizes of cigars?  It seems like a corona or smaller may be a better fit on those nights.  Can I assume that if I like a cigar in one size that it will be about the same in a different size?

Sorry for the long winded post...

Comments

• jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found there are slight differences between sizes of the same cigar. I usually keep some smaller vitolas around for times I can't devote 90-120 minutes to a smoke. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    There are differently differences between sizes of the same cigar. With a smaller ring, you'll be "tasting" more of the wrapper and less of the filler. Some may argue that you get less "tobacco essence" with a smaller ring because less "air" is moving through it, but I find that smaller gauges tend to concentrate the smoke (assuming the cigar itself has a good draw). Of course, smaller rings don't always mean smaller cigars (MUST.RESIST. OBVIOUS.JOKE.). Plenty of 6-7" long cigars with smaller gauges out there.

Generally, I prefer to smoke cigars below 50 ring size and 5" or less. I prefer wrapper taste over filler and, like you, I don't have more than an hour to spend smoking. My favorites in this size are the Hemingway Best Seller and La Palina KB El Diario. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The La Palina KB El Diario is a great, strong, short smoke. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, many blenders try to adjust the blend across sizes to achieve a consistent profile. Some do not and so the size will have a little more influence on the experience (I think this style is more fun). 

I think overall, if you like the Oliva V robustos, for example, you would also enjoy the coronas and lanceros. I think very few blends would be night and day differences across formats.

Big rgs are more forgiving if you smoke fast, since they won't overheat as quickly as a skinny cigar, but if you let the cigar set the smoking pace, you can keep any cigar in the sweet spot.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Illusione Rothchildes. Short smoke that is very inexpensive and is not bland. If you want to dip in some ISOM's then look for some Partagas shorts another bargain seegar the is not bland. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried a Arturo Fuente Short Story?  I find them satisfying and they last right at 30 minutes.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of the Partagas Black Label Pronto. All I got was charred wood. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    But keeping in the spirit of the OP's question I am a huge fan of the CroMagnon Aquitaine Knuckle Dragger it's 4x52 and a tasty dang smoke if you like full bodied smokes. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracker Crumbs are tasty as well
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of Fuentes and his Hemingway series Short Story is a very good smoke. Another one that I like for a short smoke is his Fuente Cubanitos. These are 4 x 32 and come in tins of 10 or bricks of 100. 

Check 'em out. They're really handy when you don't have time for a corona or robusto.....  
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc that's a fair point. And honestly, a corona will not give you THAT much of a shorter smoking time than, say, a robusto. 

I guess I typically like coronas or smaller rg's as much, or more, as any other size, so it is never a "sacrifice" for me to grab a shorter smoke.

But if you're a 6x60 guy, then by all means buy what you like and smoke as long as you wish. No harm in setting a cigar down when you're done.

Or just make time for cigars. That is best.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Wow - lots of great ideas!  I'll make a list and work on trying all the ones you have mentioned.  And, try not to feel bad about putting a larger one down either.  So much of what I am smoking is the first time, so I have been trying to give each their due.  (And I'm a numbers guy, so i did feel like I would be wasting money...)

You all are so helpful and welcoming here - thanks again!
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Big rgs are more forgiving if you smoke fast, since they won't overheat as quickly as a skinny cigar, but if you let the cigar set the smoking pace, you can keep any cigar in the sweet spot.
    I agree
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an unwashed heathen and have no problem relighting a cigar I've set down during a smoke break.
    UCK! It don't taste good.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• SkindogSkindog Posts: 1
    miller65rod, I like the illusione rothchildes as well. Burns quick, but good smoke.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing you can do which I do often is cut the cigar in half. But you need a good cutter and have some pectin or what I use ( unflavored chapstick) on hand to keep the wrapper from unraveling. It also helps to have a band you can place right below where your going to cut it. If done right there's no problem, if not done right it'll come apart on you. 
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got in a box of Obsidian White Noise mini corona's (4.5x44) in today bought for this exact purpose.  I'll let you guys know what i think once I get one lit. 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another unwashed heathen here, I smoke half a cigar on the way to our other campus and half on the way back.  I just put it in a cigar tube when I get to school and relight it on the way back.

I make sure I ash it well and blow out the first time I relight it.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oliva offers the Series V in a 5.0x43 corona (No. 4). Not the shortest option but still worth a try. I just grabbed a box of 24, CCOM and others have them on clearance, looks Oliva is discontinuing the size possibly… what a shame.    
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    Oliva offers the Series V in a 5.0x43 corona (No. 4). Not the shortest option but still worth a try. I just grabbed a box of 24, CCOM and others have them on clearance, looks Oliva is discontinuing the size possibly… what a shame.    
    They had a similar deal maybe a year ago and I don't think Ccom had them regularly after that. They can still be found though.