Home General Discussion
Options

Thoughts on Motorcycle Travel with Cigars?

EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
Last trip I took to the Tampa area on my bike, I grabbed my travel humi, dropped a few sticks in it, and stuffed it in the saddlebag with the rest of my luggage.  Later that evening, at a party down there, I tried to smoke one, and the cigar just came apart on me.  The cap separated, wrapper came loose, no bueno.  My saddlebags get pretty hot while riding (excess of 100*), so I'm guessing I baked my cigars.  I was thinking of maybe dropping one of those cooler packs in my humi to help keep it cool, but I'm worried about too much moisture as it thaws.  Any of you run into this before?  Or maybe you have some suggestions?  Leaving Saturday morning.  Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I think I do have room, and I've got one of the smaller soft side lunch coolers.  The only herfador I have is one of the 20ct. Pelican cases, so I need to check if it will fit.  Good idea, guys, thanks.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I got ten or so of those black plastic telescoping cigar tubes. Absolutely dynamite. Pack in small crevices and they're indestructible. Hermetically sealed to keep a cigar in perfect working order. If you weren't leaving so soon I'd send you a couple.

Also travel a lot with gars in Pirouette cans. For a buck a pop at the dollar store, you get to eat those fine Pepperidge Farms cookies out of them. Then stick a half dozen cigars, a small box of matches, a water pillow, and a punch in there. Tape round the can lid, and voila, you have a handy cigar bomb to surprise strangers with. I'll pack half a dozen bomblets like these on a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. All kinds of fun.

Never used a herfador. Seen others use them. Dunno what you get from one that you can't get from a Pirouette can, other'n expense and bulk.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Ok, got my travel case packed up, Igloo small soft side sandwich cooler ready, just gotta ice it down in the morning.  Aaand it's going to be 48 degrees outside tomorrowing morning.  Oh well, less chance of roasted cigars when I get to Jacksonville in the afternoon.  Thanks again for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like fun!  Good luck.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks all for the ideas.  The lunch cooler/ ice pack worked great!  Of course, it was 45 degrees out when we started Saturday morning, and only got up to 70 by the end of the trip.  But my cigars were nice and cool, safely tucked away in my herfador.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ride with a backpack instead of saddlebags since I like keeping the bike streamlined and clutter free. I stick the herfador in the backpack with a boveda pack and then stop a few hours later for a smoke and works great. I think the ice cooler idea is brilliant though and on hot days would even stick in a reusable ice pack to keep it good and cool without freezing them. Should work out great for you and hope you have better luck next time. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."