Home Cigar 101

Cigar beetle damage close up shots!

CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
I stumbled across this thread doing a search since I just bought a box of Villiger Cabarete Gordo on closeout from said company :o  (yes, they will be going into a separate bag in the humi). Anyway, just thought I'd pass along this thread that contains some great photos of beetle damage for others that want to know what to look out for.

FYI: This is not a knock on this company, they immediately corrected the problem. Just an FYI.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cigars/comments/59ozd9/beetle_warning_from_holts_remember_that_big_sale/  

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crownd Heads is know to not freeze their cigars.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @miller65rod was doing an experiment in his hot garage a while back, how did that turn out Rodney?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why you should inspect all cigars that you get in boxes etc. Many seem too think that somehow they taste better or are worth more money sealed. You can't go back 1 year later and cry foul when you open them up and they are destroyed. Plus you put everything else you have at risk. Mold is another issue as well. Vendors are far from perfect and things slip by from time to time. 

I go through all my boxes every other month and it takes me all darn day. It is well worth the effort though. 

To each his own though.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    dirtdude said:
    @miller65rod was doing an experiment in his hot garage a while back, how did that turn out Rodney?

Those cigars are frozen prior to shipment. They have been through hell 100+ degrees and 90% humidity and not one beetle anywhere. I'll take a pic and add it to the old thread soon.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, if you buy a box, fiver, or anything, always inspect for cracks, holes, mold, whatever.  

That cigar looks like it was used as target practice. ouch. **** happens, but geeze...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics. Thanks for posting. Yuck
  • Thanks for the pics now I know what these tobacco beetles actually do to cigars.