Home Non Cigar Related

TV Question

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm beginning to look into buying a new TV. Something in the 27" to 30" size range. We don't have a lot of room for a larger one. 

Do any of you have an opinion as to the best brand, best screen-type, etc?  I know some screens are a lot sharper and clearer than others but I haven't paid any attention as to which is which. 

Any input will be appreciated. Many thanks....  :D

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    best to go look at them in the store, the differences are notable.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're paying more for the name with Sony and Samsung. But they are quality brands. I bought a Samsung that was on sale for about $400 off but I wouldn't have paid regular price for it. There are a ton of brands out there but I would at least stick with something well known. Go to the Amazon or Best Buy website and look at overall review rankings. That'll give you an idea of what brands to look for. But definitely shop in person as Edward suggested.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Always been a big fan of LG and Samsung myself. LED, 1080p, 60hz. Works for me. People are buying a lot of 4K 120hz tvs but it's really not necessary imo.
    Check into Sharp Aquos. Not very affordable for me when I bought my larger tv but the smaller ones might not be bad. Only reason I mentioned it is I remember their displays being outstanding. But times change, that was three or four years ago.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my Sharp Aquos for picture but the speakers need help so I hooked up a soundbar. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizio Smart TVs are what we buy.
    We even bought Vizio TVs for our computer monitors.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4k ftw
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. Good info. 

So, is LED the way to go, screenwise??
    I bought an LED and love it. 
    We only buy LED. We stay away from plasma because of the heat they put off.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭

VIZIO D32h-C0 32-Inch 720p LED TV (2015 Model)

Only $157,20 on amazion
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Or 2016 one is $200.00

VIZIO D32x-D1 D-Series 32" Class Full Array LED Smart TV (Black)

Okay. Many thanks, guys....   B)
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    We have a Panasonic plasma we love.  It does put off heat, but the black contrast is fantastic.  My other TV (LED) you can't watch shows that have dim lighting and see what's happening AT ALL no matter how much you fiddle with stuff, even in a completely dark room.  It's older and LED is better than it was.  But don't just watch whatever sports are on at the store.  See if you can find something dark to watch.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I second the Vizios LEDs. They're generally priced better than the Samsungs and Sonys and for the money are just as good. I have a 3-year old 47" Vizio LED in my living and have never had any probllem viewing the screen, even with sunlight coming in the through windows next to it.  I would look for one with 120Hz, although it's not always easy to find in the 27"-30" range. It does make a different when watching fast movement. Slower refresh rates can make fast motion blurry, particularly during sports or action movies. I'd avoid spending more for 3D or 4K. But I would absolutely get a SmartTV with wireless built it. If you ever want to watch NetFlix, Hulu, or any other on-demand service it's much better to watch it directly through your TV than to hook up a computer or external Apple TV type box. 
    Okay, guys, I'm still looking. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Vizio E series as opposed to any other series?  

I'm looking at a 32" LED LCD with 1080p and 120hz smart tv w/wifi. 

Any input will be appreciated.... 

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a samsung 42" LCD thats over 10 years old and i love it. I also have newer LED's that are great and a 5th of the weight
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    jlmarta said:
    Okay, guys, I'm still looking. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Vizio E series as opposed to any other series?  

I'm looking at a 32" LED LCD with 1080p and 120hz smart tv w/wifi. 

Any input will be appreciated.... 

a quick google search it looks like it's one of their economy series.

Reference Series
    P Series
    M Series
    E series
    D Series

seems to be their pecking order.  To be honest on a 32" TV I don't think you need to go all out. It's probably a really good TV. The E series is also their best option in the size you're looking for. the ones above it are all 50"+
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone has given great advice, now for the patience, over the next two weeks the great sales will start, black Friday, then Cyber Monday, look for deals.  I always compare the best quality to my predetermined budget, most all brands discussed above will treat you right.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    What a great point. I'd forgotten about the upcoming shopping season. I believe i'll just throttle back a bit and see what shakes loose. 

As for the others, you're right. Everyone's advice has been good so far so I'll continue looking at the Vizio model I've selected based on their advice and see what kind of a deal I can find. 

Thanks, Paul @TNBigfoot68 and all you other brothers who have added your advice. It's appreciated....  
    Another question, guys. Is Google Cast a good thing?  

Opinions, please.....  
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy it for absolutely everything except Amazon. There is no support for amazon video or music as they have the fire tv. For eveything else I love it.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I like the Chromecast, along with my Amazon FireTV.
    The only one bad thing with the Chromecast for you Marty, is that it won't mirror iphone unless you follow the directions on this website.

It's $35 well spent, especially if you like using a bigger screen to browse the internet. LOL!
    We do use our Amazon FireTv more though.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Great. Thanks, guys. I've got my eye on a couple Vizios. I'll try to go have a look and compare the color and brightness with a Samsung but at this moment I'm thinking Vizio. 

We'll see - hopefully tomorrow....  
    edited November 2016
    Well, I couldn't wait for Black Friday. I found a new E-series Vizio on eBay for $166 and change with free shipping. It's a 32" unit (we don't have room for anything larger - our current set is 27") and it has the following key items:

Key Specs
    Class Size 32"
    Screen Size (Diag.)31.50 
    Smart Platform VIZIO SmartCast w/ Google Cast Built-in
    Resolution 1080p 1920x1080
    Display Processor V6 Six-Core Processor
    Backlight Type Full-Array LED 
    Refresh Rate 120Hz Effective Refresh Rate
    Clear Action 240
    Built-in Wi-F iYes, 802.11acDual Band
    Bluetooth 4.1 LE

Sams club has 32" vizios with lesser specs for around $200...  

i could keep looking but im satisfied with the one I ordered. 

Thanks for all the input, guys. It really helped....  B)
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you see something that small with your eyes?  >:)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Got me a handy-dandy Swiss magnifying glass...   :p
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you found something you like Marty
    A little dirt never hurt