Home General Discussion

Smoking with a cold.

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
From traveling up north in the cold, then stuck on a plane with a few people that sounded like theywere hacking up a lung. I find myself with a cold coming on.  Its friday night and I had planned on lighting up a nice my father this evening. Dont inhale so it shouldnt make me cough, but will this cold ruin the taste of a fine cigar?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree it shouldn't make it any worse but depending on how fouled up your nose is could affect the taste. I am no doctor, maybe we should consult with Dr. Sketch @Sketch6995
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may affect the taste, smoked a few while I have been under the weather and it muted the flavors but nothing extreme. Mostly it was with the nose, couldn't taste since I couldn't retrohale. Maybe try a different stick that you won't mind if it isn't great for ya?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife made some chicken soup for me. Going to put off the smoke for a few days, this one is too good to not enjoy 100%
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a smokey scotch instead! 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't smoke when I have a cold or am congested. I just don't enjoy the cigar nearly as much and I have much less interest in sitting outside in the cold. Agree that it shouldn't make things worse, though.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get many colds, but seems they always come when my throat is irritated.  So my theory is the more I abuse my throat with smoke, the longer it takes to heal and get well.  And because I'm so used to retrohaling and can't seem to smoke without doing that, I just lay off for a few days.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't smoke when I have a cold. It usually only irritates it, like @peter4jc said.
    Hot Toddy!
    And if it doesn't work, if you drink enough of them, you won't care.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so much colds (knock wood) but I do find retrohale helps dispel the stuffy nose of allergies.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    From traveling up north in the cold, then stuck on a plane with a few people that sounded like theywere hacking up a lung. I find myself with a cold coming on.  Its friday night and I had planned on lighting up a nice my father this evening. Dont inhale so it shouldnt make me cough, but will this cold ruin the taste of a fine cigar?
    You don't inhale cigar smoke? Me either. Glad I'm not the only one ;)