Home Non Cigar Related

Sherlock Holmes

Anyone See it? The reviews are average to above average. I was looking forward to it until I saw the mixed reviews.

Comments

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I will begin this post with this disclaimer: I am a BIG Sherlock Holmes fan, and own the Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection. In addition, while I absolutely love going to movies, and go regularly, I am a harsh movie critic...

Sherlock Holmes the movie was awesome. Holme's purists may be a little miffed at some changes to the general characters, but in my opinion, the changes were overall inconsequential. The storyline is, as far as I know, unique to the movie.

Overall, I found the movie to be an excellent film with great writing and superb acting, making a fitting box-office tribute to the great Sherlock Holmes.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I thought the story was mediocre at best and the movie relied too heavily on special effects. By the midway point, I couldn't wait for it to end.
    j0z3r:
    I thought the story was mediocre at best and the movie relied too heavily on special effects. By the midway point, I couldn't wait for it to end.
    Wow! Harsh! That is entirely the worst review I've heard of the movie, by far...

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    My fiance and I fell asleep half way through it and left 15 minutes or so from the end. We actually tbought it was pretty good, but all the "this is what's gonna happen" sequences just lost us. I'll be buying it on DVD, but would not go back to see it in the theater.
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    Wow! Harsh! That is entirely the worst review I've heard of the movie, by far...
    What can I say? I just didn't think the movie was good. I wouldn't tell anyone not to see it, but I won't be watching it again.
    j0z3r:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    What can I say? I just didn't think the movie was good. I wouldn't tell anyone not to see it, but I won't be watching it again.
    I didn't mean that to bash yOu Joe... I just meant that I had not heard from anyone who disliked it that much.

Nah, I didn't think that, just expanding on what I'd posted. I saw it with some friends, and most of them thought it wasn't very good. The biggest sticking point for me is that Sherlock Holmes was never, as far as I know, an ass kicker and name taker, mostly he used his wit and powers of deduction to solve mysteries, so on that note I think they did a disservice to the character. I guess maybe I was expecting something different, I don't know.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Joe, if you've read the entire Holmsian Canon, it's evident that Holmes is indeed rather accomplished in unarmed combat arts and pugilism, although I would not call him a brawler. That said, I haven't heard a single review that gave the movie more than 2 1/2 stars.
    zoom6zoom:
    Joe, if you've read the entire Holmsian Canon, it's evident that Holmes is indeed rather accomplished in unarmed combat arts and pugilism, although I would not call him a brawler. That said, I haven't heard a single review that gave the movie more than 2 1/2 stars.
    Both Joe and Zoom have made valid points here. Holmes is generally not portrayed, nor conceived, as a brawler...however, it's been referenced more than once in his tales that he's an extremely accomplished boxer; it just doesn't really come up much on the surface level. I rather like how they approached the boxing scenes in the movie - his analysis and strategy in the fight definitely smacks of Holmes to me.

For the record, I've not read any of the Holmes stories, which is why in the quoted post I qualified my claim by saying "as far as I know". I'm far from an authority, or even much an informed voice, on all things Sherlock Holmes, but that was one aspect of the movie that I didn't buy.
  • I am a big fan of the holmes tales and am quite the holmes "purest" , the new movie looks like total perversion to me , but hey this is coming from a guy who can;t really stand any movie after 1960 something. To me holmes does not belong in the "fast and furious" box office scene ....
    I really enjoy The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes I think its the best portrait of Holmes to date
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I'm with Jeff... the Jeremy Brett series was my favorite and they were very faithful to the original material. I've forgotten how many times I've read the complete collection; my favorite volume has all the stories plus extensive annotations in the margins. If you can find a copy - it's "The Annotated Sherlock Holmes", William S. Baring-Gould, Editor, and is considered the standard in the field. Mine is a single immense volume, which has been called the "must-have" for Holmes fans. There is a new three volume set done in a similar fashion, which I have not had the opportunity to compare as of yet, so I don't know if it's the original updated, or completely new. That one is discussed at http://www.annotatedsherlockholmes.com/sherlock/index.html

If nothing else, if the new movie gets people interested in reading the original stories, that's a win.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    I liked it, and the people with me liked it.Its a Sherlock movie with a Guy Ritchie twist. Its a movie that I will probably buy on DVD just because i find it relaxing and fun to watch. Nothing too outstanding though. I give 7.5 out of 10.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Appreciate the feedback!
  • Anyone into holmes might want to check these old time radio shows out, some are not too bad http://www.archive.org/details/OTR_Sherlock_Holmes_smurfmeat
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I saw it. Hated it. It's not Sherlock Holmes in my opinion. It's an action flick set in a pseudo Americanized Victorian London. After the first five minutes I couldn't wait for it to end. Jeremy Brett > that short, scruffy guy with the terrible accent.
    The movie's single saving grace was how they portrayed Watson. I've always hated what the Rathbone series did to the character. This version made Watson almost too accomplished.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    I will begin this post with this disclaimer: I am a BIG Sherlock Holmes fan, and own the Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection. In addition, while I absolutely love going to movies, and go regularly, I am a harsh movie critic...

Sherlock Holmes the movie was awesome. Holme's purists may be a little miffed at some changes to the general characters, but in my opinion, the changes were overall inconsequential. The storyline is, as far as I know, unique to the movie.

Overall, I found the movie to be an excellent film with great writing and superb acting, making a fitting box-office tribute to the great Sherlock Holmes.

I like this, his true honest opinion.

And...

Russ55:
    I saw it. Hated it. It's not Sherlock Holmes in my opinion. It's an action flick set in a pseudo Americanized Victorian London. After the first five minutes I couldn't wait for it to end. Jeremy Brett > that short, scruffy guy with the terrible accent.
    The movie's single saving grace was how they portrayed Watson. I've always hated what the Rathbone series did to the character. This version made Watson almost too accomplished.

Bam, another true honest opinion, but so drastically different. Same movie, very different feelings.

Maybe I'm sick in some way, but I like seeing that some people really like it and others really don't. It helps keep my mind clear knowing it caused a pinch of chaos and a dash of satisfaction.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw it last night...I am not a fan of going to the movies, and never been a Holmes fan.....Hays, youre right on target all that said-----Movie was simply freakin awesome.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I really liked the movie... though IMHO Basil Rathbone is the be all and end all of Sherlock Holmes.