Home General Discussion

What kind of cutter and why

So that is it. I have not yet tried a punch, but I have tried the guillotine, V, scissors, and a two blade type that has a scissor style curve on one blade. so far my favorite is the last, but that may be because it is the highest quality one I own. So other than which one do you like do they produce much different smoking experiences?

Comments

• arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    So far I like the guillotine because sometimes I have to hold the cigar in my teeth and it doesn't crush the opening. I have not tried others types.I have not smoked cigars real long so kind of a newb 
  • ThanatosPaThanatosPa Posts: 14
    Me too. Between the V and the Guil. I like the taste and chew I get from the Gil
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use a different cut for different cigars. I float mostly between a v cut and a guillotine. I like a punch for some smaller ones though.  It's all about what I feel like at the moment. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar Xi1 is my go to.
    I have a few of the V cutters I sometimes use, but I always carry my Xikar
    This one.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice @0patience I plan on buying the room 101 of that one
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Xikar Xi1 is my go to.
    I have a few of the V cutters I sometimes use, but I always carry my Xikar
    This one.

This one is the next cutter I'm buying. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
     So other than which one do you like do they produce much different smoking experiences?

Tidioute, cause it's always in my pocket:

Not so much a different smoking experience as a different pre-light ritual. Fire, hammer, cordage, blade, those are the four basic tools. So long's you can heat, strike, bind, or separate, you're ready to walk upright. Cut a peg, hammer it in the ground with a rock, tie your tent pole to that, start a fire... You got a great day.

So, your fixin to set with a good cigar, you want to slice the cap, light it up.... that's two out of your four right there. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my colibri vcut 90% of the time. The other 10% is a xikar xi cutter.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like my Xikar XI3 Phantom. I recently got the Colibri V that is not bad. It is a pretty deep V. Then there is always my punch on the end of my lighter if I don't want to carry a separate cutter. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using my pocket knife for the past 2 years. Makes a clean cut on the cap and it's something that I always carry.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • ZuluEchoPapaZuluEchoPapa Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I have a xikar vx Keychain that I really like. I'd say I use it 90% of the time. Probably because it's the best one I have at the moment. The guillotine cutter I have is an el cheapo from the local b&m
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my Xikar Room 101 guillotine the most but I also use my 009 Xikar punch a lot too. When I can punch I do as I like to keep the cap intact and don't chew on my cigars, plus it keeps more loose tobacco from the cap getting in my mouth and having to spit it out. I don't have a v cutter but that should be fixed soon I think. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Punches are nice and V-cutters are nice but, the best overall cigar cutting tool in my not-so-humble opinion is the guillotine cutter. Best guillotine cutter overall in my not-so-humble opinion is the Xikar xi  (teardrop shaped) cutters. Doesn't matter which model. Xikar xi  <---------- Insert ANY available model number after the i. This was the first "good" guillotine cutter I ever got my hands on. Sometimes I assume EVERYONE has one. Everyone SHOULD have one. If your guillotine is damaging your cigars and you're thinkin' you need to quit fu#kin' around with cheap guillotine cutters,..... get one of these. 
    As for those annoying little pieces of tobacco in your mouth,....... Don't be a crybaby! Be a man! You're smoking a cigar dammit! OK, seriously, tap the head downward on a hard surface after you cut it. That will loosen up most of the loose pieces and they'll drop out as you tap. I very seldom get any stray bits as long as I remember to do this as part of my pre-light ritual. I usually tap my cigar on the face of my watch. You watch-less dudes can use your cell phone or whatever.  
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Palio guillotine cutter and love it
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    I use a Palio guillotine cutter and love it
    I've used one of those a few times and it's excellent.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the cigar sometimes a punch, v cut or perfect cutter by cuban crafters. Lately find myself using the punch the most
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mostly a xikar v-cut, followed by a colibri guillotine, rarely a punch or pocket knife. 
    Anybody tried out the new Xikar XO cutter yet?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody tried out the new Xikar XO cutter yet?
    I have. 
    If the price comes down a bit, it will be my next cutter purchase.
    While I like it, I can't justify the $80-$100 price tag yet.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I'm 100% with you on the price point @0patience. Too much for me lol
  • EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    I usually punch, unless the shape calls for different. I've tried the v-cut on a couple occasions, and I just don't like the way it feels.  Guillotine on torpedoes and perfectos.

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    palio 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    palio 
    I would have bet cigars that you had a surgical knife as your cutter
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You tell 'em, Big Guy.....   :#
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter 
    peter4jc said:
    What cutter do I use?  Any damn cutter I feel like using.  And, why?  Because this is 'Murica, that's why!  :)

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all else fails, use your teeth.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!