Home General Discussion

Tis the season...

Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
...for thankfulness and reflection.

As I finally light up this BBF that @90+_Irishman  bombed me with awhile back - thanks so much, Brett! I had very high hopes for this cigar and it is not disappointing. - I'm struck by just how thankful I am for this community.

Most of you know already, but I got married a few months ago and we're still trying to figure out what our social schedules look like as newlyweds. As such, there has been a little bit less cigar smoking, and a lot less forum posting, unfortunately. (I hope to come back swinging in 2017!)

Nevertheless, I wanted to take this opportunity to voice my gratitude and appreciation for what an awesome community of BOTLs and SOTLs we have here at Ccom. Thanks so much for your friendship, for great conversation, for laughs, and for prayers. You're all incredible and I'm thankful to have forged some very rewarding relationships with you all this year.

Starting next week, I'll be on a family trip to Italy for a few weeks, so there will be even less forum activity from me. However, when I get back, expect to see a nice little contest with (what I would consider to be) some pretty cool sticks incolved.

Thanks, again, y'all.

Ryan
Post edited by Ryan1990 on

Comments

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have an amazing time in Italy.
    Eat too much
    Drink too much
    And smoke too much
    And have too much fun.
    That's my prescription for fun LOL
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have family in Italy. About 45 miles NW of Torino. 

What part of italy will you be visiting?
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ryan1990 hope you have an awesome trip, a merry Christmas and a happy New year.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a great and safe trip.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the trip Ryan
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @Ryan1990 make sure to grab and smoke some regional Cuban releases while you are over there!

Take some pics, jot down a few notes, and share them here? THAT would be badass...

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jarubla said:
    @Ryan1990 make sure to grab and smoke some regional Cuban releases while you are over there!

Take some pics, jot down a few notes, and share them here? THAT would be badass...

-Jay
    Great idea, Jay. I can definitely swing that. 

@jlmarta I'll be visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice, so I should be able to do a fair amount of scouting while I'm there. Hoping to escape with at least a box or two plus some singles.

Any advice?
    WHOO, Boy. I'll try to keep it short. It's been a good many years since we did the Rome-Florence-Venice thing but we absolutely loved it. 

Deducting a travel day, we had 9 days left so we decided on 3 days per city. It wasn't enough. We loved Rome so much we spent an extra day there and shorted Florence a day. Luckily, we kept 3 days for Venice. They're all fabulous. 

The cabbie who took us from the airport in Rome to our hotel spoke pretty good English. That's a plus. So we hired him for the entire next day. Another plus. Our main destination for the day was to visit Hadrian's Villa. On the way, Vince, our driver, stopped at a small hotel tucked away on a very narrow side street. I wish I remembered the hotel's name because Vince explained that it was a favorite of a lot of movie stars and other celebrities and there were many signed photos of them hanging in the tiny lobby. 

We went into the dining room to have lunch and a good share of the room was taken up by a wedding party. Vince knew the waiter so each time a new dish was served to the wedding party the waiter would bring a plate of whatever it was to our table so we could sample it. It was great. 

Hadrian's Villa was also great. Very impressive and beautiful. A little northeast of Rome is the village of Amatrice that only recently suffered an earthquake. You may remember it in the news. Anyway, Amatrice (Ama-TREE-chay) is where the well-known pasta sauce called alla Amatriciana originated. 

This is getting too long. In Florence, the Uffizi Palace and Galleria Academe should be seen. Michaelangelo's David is there. Also, the Ponte Vecchio bridge with all its little craftsman's shops are worth seeing. 

We stayed at the Monaco and Grand Canal hotel in Venice. It was a lovely place and right next door to Harry's Bar, a famous watering-hole I'm sure you've heard of. They made great martinis and they had a restaurant. They had a second dining room upstairs and to the rear of the building where they seated us. They explained that the one downstairs got a bit raucous during the dinner hour. 

By now, I'm sure you've fallen asleep so I'll just tippy-toe out of here. Sorry it got so long but a trip like that is hard to condense.... B)
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta loved the tour of Italy, it really made me envious of @Ryan1990 being able to go on such a cool trip. Safe travels Ryan. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed it so much Ryan, very happy to provide such a good cigar for you to enjoy! Great post and great read, this is a special place for sure!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Ryan1990, here's a video I stumbled across. Mostly just Italian eye-candy but it shows some of the beauty of Italy. 

The first couple sequences show some of Venice with traffic on the canals and a good shot of the Cinque Terre. The name of this area translates to 'five lands' referring to five villages perched on cliffs along the Mediterranean. We visited there on another trip to Italy.

If you're adventuresome, a ride on one of the vaporetti (water busses) in Venice is always fun. 

Here's the link:

https://biggeekdad.com/2016/10/trip-across-italy/

Hope you enjoy.....  B)
    Thanks, all!

@jlmarta thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll be sure to keep those in mind.

You're most welcome. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your trip. The people, the food, the wine, the scenery - it's all beautiful. 
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It's the season to work.....
    Going Griswald
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jelly son! My wife and I were scheduled to go to Italy in mid January. She has to go for her companies sales kickoff. We were going to add days and see Tuscany since her work deal was in Rome. Had it all booked etc...then with knee and back surgery coming up I realized that I couldn't walk very well. That's what I really wanted to do was walk around and explore churches, museums and architecture. Instead, I had to cancel, get a note from my Dr's etc... and I will be staying at home with my dog for my birthday. Travel while you are young and fresh, good job, have fun and enjoy.
    Sorry to hear that, @Bigshizza! Luckily, you partake in an incredibly rewarding hobby that does not require much movement...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love to hear your stories @jlmarta, take as much time as you need.

Sorry to hear you are going to miss this trip @Bigshizza but hell, you are still young, get yourself healed up and make the next one.

Safe travels @Ryan1990

A little dirt never hurt