Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Recant..

Last night I had myself a Gurkha sherpa and again I was dissappointed in the way the cigar was built, I was not even into a quarter of the smoke with the outer wrapper completely  coming  off of the cigar and this is not the first time but has become the norm. my humi. stay in 68% relative and know for a fact the cigar is not dried out, but I've given up on this cheaply made cigar and will give what I have remaining away and never buy anymore afterwards, so if you pick up a sherpa and the wrapper completely unravels don't act suprise its normal.....

Comments

• Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    That sucks dude. I know there is a lot of talk on this board about the gurkhas, the only luck I have had with this brand is the perfecto shapes in the line.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Sorry to hear that, Mark. Both kas and I have smoked several Sherpas without having the problems you describe, so I'm not sure what to make of that.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive never had a gurkha unravel on me.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I bought a 5 pack from ccom, and have been dissapointed with the quality of the wrapper as well. I haven't had either of the two I've smoked unravel, but all 5 had visible flaws. One was split so bad between the cap and band that I called and had them send me a replacement, the replacement arrived with 2 holes in the wrapper where the binder is visible.

It seems they use a very thin, delicate wrapper or these were seriously mistreated before they got to me.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Scrambler:
    the replacement arrived with 2 holes in the wrapper where the binder is visible.
    Cigar vampires, maybe?

Huh. I just don't know what to make of this, guys. I bought 20 Sherpas about a month ago, and they were all in fine condition. I wonder if they've recently developed QC problems at whatever factory the Sherpas are made in?
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I noted some minor construction issues in my review, but nothing at all to do with the wrapper.. more to do with the contents (specifically the binder, it seemed) and the roll. From what I recall, the wrapper was flawless. The flavor was a bit mild for me, but it was a fine smoke for the price.
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ive never had a gurkha unravel on me.
    Guys, I really wouldn't acquaint Gurkha and Sherpa together. Yes, they may be owned by Gurkha, but at 1.99 a stick, what do you expect? Like comparing a CHEvette and CORvette. Yes, both owned by Chevrolet, but totally different. I actually used to smoke quite a few of these back around 2004. I remember them being quite flavorful, with good construction. I wonder what happened?
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I agree with the chevy corvette thing, and I even bought a bundle of twenty when I had a good expeirence with a few, I was alittle ticked off I know its not the most expensive thing but it should at least stay intact when smoking, wonder what the Park Ave. is all about?? Might have to give those a try in the future...I think I'll just buy 5 just in case...
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Capt:
    Guys, I really wouldn't acquaint Gurkha and Sherpa together.
    This is a fair point, especially since the name Gurkha doesn't appear on the label. They are labeled with the brand name "K. Hansotia Company", but all the online vendors market them as "by Gurkha" or such.

I almost forget they are a $2 cigar, but even still, I'm disappointed that all 6 I have received had some sort of flaw that could affect smokability that was readily visible without removing the cello. It's quite likely all of mine came from the same box/bundle and maybe it was just a weak batch of wrapper leaves, or they were improperly stored/handled at some point. I think I'll smoke one tonight and see how it burns.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Sorry to hear that, Mark. Both kas and I have smoked several Sherpas without having the problems you describe, so I'm not sure what to make of that.
    I never had a construction problem throughout an entire bundle ( as well as several others ) and maybe only twice was I bothered with the experience. Maybe the way they were stored, but I always got an honest example of what I expected.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I purchased a bundle of the Sherpa about a month ago on the strength of urby's and kas' liking of the cigar, the first one I tried was ok and I figured it needed a bit of rest to kind of settle. I'll be looking to fire another up sometime this week and see what I think of it now that it is rested a bit. The construction, however, seems to be pretty solid on my bundle as far as I can tell, though I've not inspected every stick.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one and was fairly pleased with it, not spectacular but good for a 2 bucker. The wrapper did split on me but I don't recall it causing any issues.