Home Cigar 101
Options

wineador

ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
I received a twelve count wine cooler for christmas today. I know some of the guys who have them use cedar trays. Where do you get them at and also do you keep the racks that came with it or do you use slats of wood? thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    PM incoming
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Do these things get the 70/70 temp and humidity? esp the temp?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The temp you can set with the wine fridge... The humidity is what can get wonky with all the differences in ambient temp.

I found my wine fridge tended to rung HIGH a little when it was on and actively cooling... just buy some beads and don't really fill them much and you should be very good
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    why don't you fill them?
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    phobicsquirrel:
    why don't you fill them?
    The beads act as a humidifier when needed, but can also absorb humidity if they need to. If the beads are filled to the max, they can't absorb any more humidity, so your humi can become over-humidified.

• Options
    ah, anyone know apprx how many boxes a 28 bottle can hold?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    ah, anyone know apprx how many boxes a 28 bottle can hold?
    i got a 12 bottle and I can stuff 200 into it....i would image you could double that with 28 bottle capacity
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I've got this question about wineadors that I've been wondering every time I read about them:

So every time I see talk about converting wine fridges to containers for cigars (heretofore known as "wineadors"), it's basically the same..

"Don't use the temperature control or humidity control - those cause problems"

"You're gonna have to figure out something to deal with the excess moisture in there"

"Go with beads, those are the most stable"

So basically, you're going to pay for this fancy looking wine-cooler, just to convert it to a makeshift humidor that you're still going to have to buy beads for, have excess humidity to deal with, and have roughly the same capacity as a traditional humidor...and it's going to cost just as much or more than a traditional humidor of the same capacity.

So am I mistaken here? If I'm not, then what exactly is the point?

EDIT: This isn't intended as a bash or any form of hostile comment... I'm just seriously baffled.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Ok, so I've got this question about wineadors that I've been wondering every time I read about them:

So every time I see talk about converting wine fridges to containers for cigars (heretofore known as "wineadors"), it's basically the same..

"You're gonna have to figure out something to deal with the excess moisture in there"

So basically, you're going to pay for this fancy looking wine-cooler, just to convert it to a makeshift humidor that you're still going to have to buy beads for, have excess humidity to deal with, and have roughly the same capacity as a traditional humidor...and it's going to cost just as much or more than a traditional humidor of the same capacity.

So am I mistaken here? If I'm not, then what exactly is the point?

EDIT: This isn't intended as a bash or any form of hostile comment... I'm just seriously baffled.
    Two Words.... Central Air

I got beetles from too high of a temp during this last summer... I had to make sure that the temp didn't go up at all!!!

Also, you can get a 28 bottle sized one for under $200 and that will store roughly 1500-2000 sticks... very cheap and cool looking and the only thing you have to do is get beads and old cigar boxes... super cheap, super effective and your cigars NEVER fluctuate (i.e. during the winter they are a little dry unless you check them daily or in the summer they plump up a bit during the rain and the storms...

These guys work great without fluctuating for outside Rh... It's always a balmy cigar bliss inside!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Nice post, Lassy. Makes more sense that way. I wonder if I can find a good one on Craig's list... It would be a whole lot nicer looking than my coolidor and would hold a lot more.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Update on the wineador. I finally got it set up, using slats in place for the racks and trays from another site. I have it seasoned and cigars are chillin happy as can be. I'm really hope it lives up to what I have heard
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    How many did you fit in there? And can you take some pics of your setup?
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Hays:

So am I mistaken here? If I'm not, then what exactly is the point? I kind of agree. I am having problems dealing with my humidity and it may turn out to be a little cheaper but if I can't get the humidity down then the whole thing was a waste of money

• Options
    TatuajeVI:
    How many did you fit in there? And can you take some pics of your setup?
    PICS!!!!!
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    I've got some pics if anyone want to see mine.