Home Cigar 101

Cigar Oasis cartridge question

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a Cigar Oasis that has the water cartridge. Actually have two of the cartridges. The inside is that crappy green foam and I noticed a little mold starting and that is concerning. I wiped them out and seemed to have removed the visable mold. I've heard of guys removing the foam and using kitty liter or gel to replace it. Does anyone know how to do this or what the best replacement would be? There are two tiny holes to pour water in. Not sure if the cartridge comes apart or if I'll destroy it trying to take it apart. Want to fix this asap since I'm looking and rebuilding my collection this year. Thanks guys. 

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has two small holes and a larger middle 1.  Dry that foam completely and it falls apart easily.  A screwdriver works well, a little at a time and tap upside down on a table.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was one way I heard of guys breaking it up like that. Wasn't sure if that was the way to go. 

What is is a good replacement filler? 
    Beads, be careful adding water at first.  Go slow, and wait, they can really puff up.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Cigar oasis makes ones designed for their units.
    MOW badge received.
    Cigar oasis makes ones designed for their units.
    Well heck I didn't know that. That may be the easiest solution. I have two of these cartridges though so I want to put them to use. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have KL crystals that I can send out in the morning if you want to go that route
    A little dirt never hurt
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I thought there was an "Anti fungal agent" in the cartridges to prevent mold.
    KCW said:
    I thought there was an "Anti fungal agent" in the cartridges to prevent mold.
    They may say that but it doesn't work. I know many guys that have had issues. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I removed the foam from mine and put crystals in it.
    It's a pain in the ass to get it out, but it can be done.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience said:
    I removed the foam from mine and put crystals in it.
    It's a pain in the ass to get it out, but it can be done.
    Might have been one of your posts way back where I got the idea it could be done. I have two so I'm going to experiment with one I'm not using currently. Trying to get the humidor set back up so I filled up one with distilled water and have it running for now. I may post a pic or two during the process. Still not sure if I want kitty liter or those gel beads. May do one of each and see what works best. Would you saturate kitty liter or do you have to have a water source (in a bowl) for it to absorb on its own for this kind of set up?