Home Non Cigar Related

Moving across the pond

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So it may be a long shot. Has ANYONE here moved from the US to Europe and become a European resident? My wife being of Irish descent and me being of Scottish.... we are looking at that as an option of future residence. Anyone have experience or advice?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

LMFAO!!!! I do love you clowns.... :) I got a good giggle outta those comments. :)

We have been pondering a move out of the US for quite some time. Canada is not an option due to my wife's medical condition and the cost of her medications. Mexico is a no go cause im a fatty and hate the hot weather.... Ive always been in love with the history and cultures over in Europe and my wife has daydreamed of living over there for quite some time. Neither of us have any real connections to our families here. so Europe sounds GREAT! lol

I have been looking at houses, cars and different locations in Scotland, Ireland and some places in London. GRANTED we are a LONG way away from hopping a plane and leaving. but more of the early stages of brainstorming. I HOWEVER already have a full game plan on getting over there and settled. :) I just don't know the finer details of citizenship.

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like ..... you're going outer space?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second talking to Hays. He is on the book of faces. Only person I know with experience like that. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a peer who is in Ireland for work--the rub you may find are the immigration laws. They are stout.

Generally, I know no one likes to talk about immigration, but it is a real PITA. You will need to get a sponsor, and moving to Ireland as an expat is a difficult and drawn out process. You need to have a good viable job in a sector that is needed. There are some other things, but they slip the mind right now. 

Not trying to rain on your parade, just be prepared for a metric frack ton of paperwork and waiting.
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Im all good for paperwork. LOL its a vast majority of my job.... friggin paperwork. I might look into the finer details of immigration today if I have some time.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:

Literally a perfect GIF
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

LMFAO!!!! I do love you clowns.... :) I got a good giggle outta those comments. :)

We have been pondering a move out of the US for quite some time. Canada is not an option due to my wife's medical condition and the cost of her medications. Mexico is a no go cause im a fatty and hate the hot weather.... Ive always been in love with the history and cultures over in Europe and my wife has daydreamed of living over there for quite some time. Neither of us have any real connections to our families here. so Europe sounds GREAT! lol

I have been looking at houses, cars and different locations in Scotland, Ireland and some places in London. GRANTED we are a LONG way away from hopping a plane and leaving. but more of the early stages of brainstorming. I HOWEVER already have a full game plan on getting over there and settled. :) I just don't know the finer details of citizenship.

I think that almost anyone in the UK will argue that they are not in Europe.

Over the years I have lived in both Germany and the UK.  Not knowing your situation, I will say that if you are retired and have your income already, the move is very doable.  If you are still working, that is when some issues come into play.  Europe and the UK are very saturated with immigrants. Most unskilled workers

Many people from there frown on foreigner coming in and taking their jobs. Medical and IT professionals will find entering their work environment much easier than most others.  Legal is a bit of a jump through hoops on command deal for anyone and becomes more strict by the day. In a few more months we should begin to see how BREXIT effects the economy and available jobs, along with the cost of living.

Sounds like you will be taking at the least a nice vacation to the UK or Europe in the near future, Hope you have a wonderful time doing your research.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Sat down with a banker and discussed options... Financially we have a plan to come out with enough money to pull this off and live comfortable in another country. Just have to line up visas and employment. :)
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

After working in Scotland, and Malta, both quite temporary. One of the biggest shocks to me were immigration laws and taxes. I purchased gifts for my wife in both places, Scotland (UK) has VAT which is 50%, if I remember correctly, the cost of the item was 20 Pounds with 10 pound VAT. Malta was similar. Both places were incredible and I hope to return. Scotland in the winter was cold and dark, sunrise 8:00 am sunset 4:00pm in the winter, and 4:00 am sunrise and 10:pm sunset in the summer.

Malta Immigration is nearly impossible, you have to start a business, hire locals, with an unbelievable value, I have forgotten most of the details but you can look here: http://legal-malta.com/immigration/

Malta is dry and hot, north of Africa in the Med. The landscape and the women were both incredibly beautiful. A blend of Italian, Greek and Arabic is unbelievable. A super friendly people. 

An American can visit Malta for 90 days without a visa, more than 90 days a visa is required. I was surprised that I was able to work in both places without a work visa. Of course the company I worked for is based in Denmark. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

I too have considered this, but there is no place like America! If you haven't yet visited, make sure you do before you make any permanent decisions. In case you are wondering I teach Maritime Sciences, Navigation, Ship Stability, and others that pertain to ships, oil field vessels, and Inland vessels.

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the mid-60's when there was a great flurry of attempts to take away our guns I did quite a bit or research into finding which country I was going to move to if the anti-gun nuts were successful. I was strong into hunting and most anything outdoors. 

Long story short - I checked a lot of countries and found that either the tax structure of the country or the laws pertaining to guns were far worse than what we had here or even would have. A lot of other factors entered into it but, in the end, I stayed right here. 

Read and learn, Grasshopper. 

So sayeth the oldfart....  B)
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i thought you were going to move to vermont?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:
    i thought you were going to move to vermont?

That was prior to some events in this country that will dramatically effect our lives. lol
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lived in Aberdeen for a few years....
    Be advised.....

No one really likes Americans much.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    We have our  options as we haven't agreed on where exactly we will move to. I could live just fine with people not liking that I was American... just stay off my lawn while doing it. ;) LOL
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Oh and

You have to pay to watch TV.
    You have to buy a license just to watch.
    That's where the BBC gets their funding.
    That one took me by surprise I can tell you LOL

Google "television license police YouTube"

They will actually come to your door to investigate.

That fee is included in any cable package you purchase. But if you use an old-fashioned antenna on the roof of your house you can expect the licensing police to come and investigate.

If you're going to go to Scotland, learn to speak single malt lol.

And for God's sakes, don't forget your friends over here who can't buy Cubans yet. Hahahahaha
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.

If we end up over there... I will keep a fresh supply of Cubans heading to all you clowns over here! ;)

Yeah I have been learning a lot about fees and costs of things over there.... the way I look at it. if I can buy a house outright off the proceeds of the sale of my house here... I should be just fine. :) I have a few other legal and financial matters to handle right now before I get to that point though. lol