Home Cigar 101

Newbie humidor seasoning problems

FryFry Posts: 12
So I started getting into cigars a few months ago.  Ordered one of the sampler packs here that came with a humidor.  Like most of us newbies, I couldn't wait to season the humidor and shoved my cigars into the box along with some of that propylene glycol gel to keep humidity at 70.  

This winter break I decided it was time to do it right and season the small humidor correctly. ( I think)   Took all my cigars out of the humidor and placed a small glass of distiller water in the humidor along with a digital hydrometer for about two weeks.  Opened the humidor up and it was at 62 RH.....thought it should have been much higher by now.   I then did the wipe down method to see if that would help raise the rh.  After 2 days it raised it to 65 rh, but then dropped to 62 there after, so I'm assuming it's just a bad seal on the humidor.

At this point I've given up on the humidor and decided to move to a tupperdore (sp?).  So I took one of my wife's Tupperware containers, placed my cigars in it as well as 65 rh heartfelt beads(half pound).  I think I may have charged the majority of the beads cause when I checked on the container later in the day the rh was around 80.  I took the beads out of the container over night to get a better 50/50 mix and lowered the rh in the container to 60 by leaving the top off for a bit. Placed the beads back into the container and now it's at 75 rh.    

What at am I doing wrong to not get 65 rh?

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a calibrated hygrometer for accuracy? That could be an issue if it isn't calibrated correctly. For the humidor seal you can stick a dollar bill in and close the lid on it and see if it slides out easily. 

This stuff is one reason I use either Boveda packs or my Cigar Oasis electronic humidifier. 

Ive kind of been out of the game for a year but there are plenty of old timers here that can help you further. Welcome by the way. 
  • FryFry Posts: 12

Thanks for the reply Jsnake.  Yeah, I calibrated my hygrometer using the salt test right before I attempted to season my humidor.

I tried the dollar test as well.  Seemed like it was fine, but Im not sure how big of a role the gaps in the attached image will have on not keeping rh up.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Hi @fry and welcome to the forum! I had the same problem and was told to put the humidor in a chest or cooler. Once I did that my humidor stayed at 68%. That simple trick solved all of my humidity problems. I did a quick search and here's a link to a ton of suggestions Link
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• FryFry Posts: 12
    Thanks for the reply WaterNerd.  I've read a lot of those threads already and do plan on getting a cooler soon.  In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out why my humidity is so high in my Tupperware Box.  I'm assuming my Tupperware has just as good as a seal as a cooler, hence the high humidity readings.  I thought the heartfelt beads would have equalized my humidity to 65%, but it doesn't seem to be doing the job as it keeps rising into the 70's RH.  Is there something I'm doing wrong to cause this? 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tupperdors don't breathe or leak really. Boveda's would be perfect but drying half the beads should work too. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )