Home Non Cigar Related

Respect for Barack

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in Non Cigar Related
This will be unpopular with many, but I need to say it. 

I didn't vote for Obama, as I've said many times, but I never hated the guy either, even when I disagreed with him.  I won't go into all that, but there are some real truths to consider, whether folks like it or not.

Eight years ago Barack Obama took office, and inherited the biggest mess in Washington DC since the War of 1812.  Within 90 days most of the people who actually created that mess were all over the news outlets decrying the horrors of "the Obama economy", that they themselves created.  Checked out the DOW over the past few months?  I'd say he did OK.

We were mired deep in Iraq, and probably withdrew too soon, and certainly shouldn't have left ANY military equipment, well, I'm back to what I disagree with him over, and I still think we should GET OUT of Afghanistan, but, anyways...

I don't think any sitting President since Lincoln has presided over a more divided country, and to have achieved as much as he has says a lot.  It has to be hard to get results when the Senate leaders number one priority is making sure you don't get results.  I saw an article the other day that said during Obama's time job creation was better than under any but 3 other presidents.  That's big. 

Not going into all the specifics, most folks don't want to hear anything but their own views substantiated, whether substantial or not.  I'm kind of reminded of Truman, who was quite unpopular with many during his time in office, but is now seen as an effective leader during a difficult time.

At any rate, I suspect that future generations will look back on Obama's Presidency largely as successful and effective.  I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think so.

Had to say it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mebbe so, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet.....   B)
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some things are already known as fact and others will not be known until the change of command and audits are done.  I lean toward believing that this administration has overstepped its boundaries many more times than the American people are aware.  That the budget is much more out of whack than either party wants us to believe and that the National Debt is at least twice what we are being told.  As for jobs, it is easy to make it look like the unemployment list is shrinking when after so many months of not finding or looking for work names are taken off the roll. I have no illusion that Trump is going to fix everything, personally I trust neither party anymore.  Come the end of FY17 we will have a better picture of how things are.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry, but I have disagree with you on many fronts.  The "facts" will speak for themselves once more of them come to light.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    YankeeMan said:
    I have two problems with the President and they are both selfish.  I have a son in the Army Special Forces and Obama has not supported the military and has made some bad tactical decisions and not listened to his Generals.

The second, as retired law enforcement, I do not like the fact he hates cops and has done more to racially divide this country than anyone.  He has made the job of law enforcement much more difficult during his tenure.

Strictly my opinion but I just had to say it.
    I'm with you, as I said, haven't liked everything.  The Dems proved long ago they don't understand warfare, and I really felt Obama should have gone to Ferguson MO and supported the police officers there. 

Still, I have to respect the guy for doing as well as he's done.  Nobody can do everything.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S M H
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Food stamps and part time jobs, domestic rancor and international debacles, race baiting and race baiting and race baiting, one fat whopper after another, debt and regulation, hype and chains, Obamacare, and one scandal after another. Not one single bankster indicted, yet whistle blowers chased to the ends of the earth. But everything that goes wrong, that's all George Bush's fault, we're told. He has turned an executive office into a third world dictatorship. I am sick and tired of watching this jug eared jackass stick his arrogant chin up in the air like Mussolini while lecturing us about who we are. At least Il Duce made the trains run on time. Most of all, I am disgusted the way he breaks laws, ignores laws, pretends laws, and uses government at his whim to reward cronies and punish critics. And, no, the mere fact that cross dressing perverts now get to pee in girl's bathrooms doesn't do it for me.

A charismatic but inept pathological liar with tyrannical aspirations. 

“Millions and millions and millions and millions of people look at that pretty picture of America he painted, and they cannot find themselves in it to save their lives.”
    -- Bill Clinton, after BHO's last state of the union

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

So
    Much
    Hate.

:'(

edited January 2017
    So
    Much
    Hate.

:'(
    Maybe so, but which part do you think he has wrong?   B)
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

It has to be hard to get results when the Senate leaders number one priority is making sure you don't get results.  

Not going into all the specifics, most folks don't want to hear anything but their own views substantiated, whether substantial or not.  I'm kind of reminded of Truman, who was quite unpopular with many during his time in office, but is now seen as an effective leader during a difficult time.

At any rate, I suspect that future generations will look back on Obama's Presidency largely as successful and effective.  I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think so.

These related points in particular.  He's faced opposition unlike any president I've studied.  Others who had vocal and vehement opposition still had an opposition that was willing to work with them to accomplish something.  I attribute far more of the outgoing president's failures to obstructionism by others rather than his lack of ability.  I think you're right that history will be kind to him as to how effective he was in the face of this opposition.  Whether or not the things he wanted to accomplish but didn't would have been good is another debate, for sure.

I also just can't hate anyone as much as people seem to hate Obama, like you've said.  
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respect him the same way I respect a hooker for her tanacity.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Martel said:

......I also just can't hate anyone as much as people seem to hate Obama, like you've said.  
    With me, it isn't so much a matter of hate as it is of disgust...    B)
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have respected him quite a bit more if he had the balls to - even once during either election - say "My opponents are not racist."

Would have nipped a ton of this crap in the bud.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    She did lose the election.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love you @Amos_Umwhat. BUT, nevermind. Doing my best to forget him and I prefer moving on unlike his followers.
    jd50ae said:
    jlmarta said:
    She did lose the election.
    That's not the 'lady' (?) to which I referred......  :#
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't hate the man....just don't respect him. 

I use Bush as a comparison. He had his faults for sure but you could never argue the man did not love this country (and its military). He was (and still is) a man I would love to grab a beer with. 
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

He has my respect.  Things he has done have impacted many lives. Some negatively and some positively. in the grand scheme of things he did what he could do. no one is perfect and I sure as hell don't have the place to judge him like everyone else has. I cant do that job..... I doubt any of us could. Ive respected every president to an extent and Obama is no exception. #mypresident

I know with the new office taking its moves on America as we speak.... I would sure as hell vote for Obama again (if he could have run again) than deal with the storm that is brewing over our nation.

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

edited January 2017
    My wife has a subscription to a magazine called The Sun.  Literary kind of thing.  Every month in the back there is a page of quotes.  Several of these are appropriate to the tenor of this thread, at least, the tenor as I started it. Admittedly, I've never heard of some of these people, others we'll all know.

Politics: the art of using euphemisms, lies emotionalism, and fear-mongering to dupe average people into accepting - or even demanding - their own enslavement.
    -- Larken Rose.

A man who doesn't detest bad government is a fool.  And if there were such a thing as a good government on earth, it would be a great joy to serve it.
     --Ursula K. Le Guin

The enemy isn't conservatism.  The enemy isn't liberalism.  The enemy is bullsh1t.
    --Lars-Erik Nelson
    (I think that may be my favorite)

Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.
    --Martin Luther King Jr.
    (perhaps the most appropriate, here)

You lose a lot of time, hating people.
    --Marian Anderson

We are not enemies, but friends.  We must not be enemies.  Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
    --Abraham Lincoln

We take freedom for granted, and because of this we don't understand how incredibly vulnerable it is.
    -- Niall Ferguson

And, on that last note, when I was young we were taught "United We Stand" as a principle civic ethic, with the knowledge that if we are divided, we are too easily conquered. 

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respect for the all the drug dealers getting there sentences commuted. Maybe they can all move to chicago to help out. SMH
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

edited January 2017
    Usaf06 said:
    Respect for the all the drug dealers getting there sentences commuted. Maybe they can all move to chicago to help out. SMH
    On the one hand, I feel that this is a perfect example of a Non Sequitur.

But, had you said Bradley/Chelsea, I might agree. 

No one's perfect.
    Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never respect the man, I have too many disagreements with what he has done.  However, I will always respect his position at President, duly elected.  I don't believe anyone takes that position and tries to mess up.  He was just not up to the position.

I just hope people give President Trump a chance to succeed and judge him on what he accomplishes or does not accomplish.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Obama was a very smart man.
    Very well educated ,unlike Trump.
    He spent more on the military than any other president.
    He saved us from worldwide economic collapse when republicans called for letting it collapse.
    Here we go ahead ahead gain folks. Trickle down economics,welfare for the rich, back to another republican led economic collapse.

Why we this country let's the minority rule is beyond me.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got news for ya Chuck, corporate welfare was just as strong with obama as it was with any other president.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Business as usual is a persistent problem.