Home Cigar 101

Humidity

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
Living in South Florida where it is almost always humid, I figured that the problem with keeping cigars would be keeping the humidity level down.  I was not thinking properly as while the humidity outside may be 88%, inside the house it stays right around 55%.  I did not take into account that the A/C runs year round and keeps the humidity way down.  I now have a 50 count humidor that stays right at 67% and a few small tupperdors that stay at whatever boveda pack level I put in them.   I have been thinking about using a large jar as a currently smoking humidor. It could be decorative and with a 65% boveda pack in it, I would have a choice of a few different cigars to smoke on hand.  Is there anything detrimental to tobacco that is stored in a jar?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No detriment except that they are air-tight and it would be best if allowed to occasionally breath, but that won't be a problem in the least if you are in and out of it often while selecting cigars. I've used jars at times. Keep it away from direct sunlight. And just to be safe I'd make sure it didn't get all that much indirect sunlight either.  And, make sure there are no remaining smells if you're reusing a food jar. Pickle jar lids would probably retain some odor unless you really work at it. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoyaRuiz_Pickle_Juice_
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thought is:  new tinted jar, maybe piece of cedar on the bottom with a boveda pack.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5