Home Non Cigar Related

Going to TN for a few days

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
My Brother is getting married the end of march in the Smoky Mountains.  After the wedding we are looking at heading to Nashville or Memphis for a couple days to check things out.  It would be Sun-Tuesday that we will be in one of these towns.  Any suggestions on which one might be more worth checking out and ideas on things to do?
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you're into.  If you want shopping then Nashville is your bet.  It's got some better known spots for food, too.

But after visiting there several times, I don't really think it's all that after the Grand Ole Opry and the Parthenon.  It would be a great place to live, but I've been lots of places to visit that were cooler trips.

Memphis on the other hand has great stuff.  BBQ, Blues, Beale, Stax Museum, Sun Studios, Elvis everywhere, the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel, some great food options from low brow (Gus's or Uncle Lou's fried chicken and Dyer Burger) to upscale (Flight).  Some of the best donuts at Gibson's.  And I've eaten donuts from coast to coast.  Voodoo, Schmoodoo.  Portland's favorite has nothing on the less hoity toity Memphis favorite!

Oh, and the new Bass Pro is worth a visit.  It's in the freaking pyramid, dude!

There's some good B&M's in each town.

In reality, you can't go wrong.  They're both neat cities, but after living in Memphis for six years, I came to really appreciate it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've lived in Murfreesboro for a few years now and still haven't explored Nashville as much as I should. It's a 30-40 minute trip for me, but there are lots of B&Ms and entertainment available. I'd love to join up with you for a cigar when you come through. 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they are getting married just outside of Knoxville in the mountains and they rented a cabin for the family there.  We will be there from Mar 23-26.  On the 26th we will head to our destination to either nashville/memphis or some other place we pick to hang out until Tuesday.  We dont have a ton of time but since we are down there we figured it would be a great time to check some stuff out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either of those cities for a first time visit would be great. But, be careful. TN drivers think they are conserving energy by not using turn signals.
    jd50ae said:
    Either of those cities for a first time visit would be great. But, be careful. TN drivers think they are conserving energy by not using turn signals.
    I thought that was just a Wisconsin thing
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

https://www.wyndhamvacationrentals.com/tennessee/pigeon-forge/morning-view-manor-unit

This is the place my brother and future sister rented out for us to stay in. I might not come back to Wisconsin.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nashville has the country music hall of fame & museum, the Johnny Cash Museum, and there are preaditor games, besides in the Nashville area you might find Bigfoot lol.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    If you're into cars, the Corvette Museum at Bowling Green's just a short ride north of Nashville.

There's also places like Cheekwood, Fontanel House, Grassmere, probably better if you're taking wives, although not the best time of year for those.

Oh, and JD's not kidding about the drivers in TN, especially Nashville and Memphis. 

Turn signal?  What's that clicking noise?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    What's a turn signal,  never heard of it. Lol. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    @TNBigfoot68 and @Bob_Luken we will be in Nashville Sunday afternoon the 26 and all day the 27th. You guys up for trying to get together at some point for a cigar?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

And anybody else for that matter.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

YES!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check out Bearded Iris Brewing while you're there. 

the owners are third(?) cousins of mine.  (my dad's cousin's kid) 
    i've never been to the brewery, but i hear good things about the beer. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I'll ad it to the list @jgibv
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @avengethis

You could go visit Crowned Heads!

http://www.crownedheads.com/contact/
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    I thought that was just a Wisconsin thing
    It's also a North Carolina thing.  If I see someone here using a turn signal, I know they moved here from somewhere else!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.wyndhamvacationrentals.com/tennessee/pigeon-forge/morning-view-manor-unit

This is the place my brother and future sister rented out for us to stay in. I might not come back to Wisconsin.
    Holy crap!  That place is amazing!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, big kitchen, Brad will be busy
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited March 2017
    When Brad and company made it to Nashville yesterday I made a fateful decision to turn down an invite to pedal some sort of tricycle-bar thing with them (in traffic). Well, if I had known that this decision would place us on an opposing orbit of cigar-bars and pubs and restaurants, I would have chosen to risk life and limb anyway and pedal that thing hard as I could go. Sorry Brad, @avengethis for all the clusterfudge (my fault) that kept us a minimum of two blocks apart the whole time.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob_Luken...  you can redeem yourself in June.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis