Home Non Cigar Related

Any Reloaders in the group?

SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am starting my research into reloading handgun as well as rifle cartridges. Is there anyone on here that has any words of wisdom or direction as to where to begin I have a Lee Load all for my shotgun shells but I am interested in reloading my 30.06 and .270 brass as well as bulking up my pistol ammo for plinking. CA is getting a little ridiculous with all the gun and ammo control so I'd like to have the resources to fuel my own recreational shooting. Any advice is appreciated!
TIA

Comments

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

When I started reloading, it was to save money and to gain accuracy. Now it cost nearly as much to reload, or more, as the cost of materials have risen. So that leaves accuracy. First thing to decide is what brand of equipment that you want. I use RCBS equipment. I also think it would be good to find someone as a mentor, to help with questions and to help keep the mistakes down to a minimum. Also a loading manual is imperative, but a lot of information can be found on the internet.

I reload 30-06, 45 ACP, and 357. One of the things that I decided to do was to weigh each load of powder. Many find that they weigh every fifth round or tenth round. It is important to me to maintain accuracy.

Your choice of equipment will be based on how much you want to spend. The single stage or progressive loading is another choice to make. I do single stage for accuracy. It takes longer but gives more control.  One of the advantage's is that you can reload at the range and develop a load based on what you want to hunt and performance you desire from your gun.

For my 30-06, I bought several weight bullets and the adjusted the amount of powder to find the most accurate and the fastest speed. The reloading manual will give instructions on this process. Recording performance is also vital.

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a great hobby.  I load a variety of rifle cartridges for hunting and accuracy.  They are not that economical if you use premium tips, but enjoyable to shoot.

I reload pistol mainly for economy and something to do.  I can load 9mm, 45, and 40 for around half the cost of factory (the more in bulk you buy components the cheaper it gets).  I use copper plated tips and just enough powder to cycle the gun consistently.

You can get started with a single stage press and see if you like it.  I use mostly RCBS equipment.  Buy RCBS carbide pistol dies (with the carbide you don't have to lubricate the casings before sizing).  Powder measure and electronic scale and you are set.  

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to load my own many years ago when I was a young buck. I swore by RCBS gear at that time. Never had a problem with any of it. 

I loaded 30-06, .308, .357, and .221 Fireball. My favorite rifle caliber is the '06 because depending on the weight of the bullet you select you can hunt anything from gophers to elephant. Not many calibers are that versatile IMHO....
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shoot a .15 patched .495 round ball in my flint southern mt Bean style deer rifle and a .10 patched .245 round ball in my flint Bean style squirrel rifle. The .50 eats 90 grains of 2F and the .25 eats 17 grains of 3F.  If I can see it I can hit it as both rifles have made a pile of meat. I guess I reload and measure powder every time I want to pull the trigger.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to purchase my reloading gear, but save most cases for a friend that does. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I load mostly for pistol and 3-gun matches and have used a bunch of different equipment over the years. Dillon by far makes the best presses out there (in my opinion) but you pay for it. Their 100% no questions asked lifetime guarantee is what eventually sold me as I beat on my stuff (6-7k rounds a year). The best setup would be a Dillon 650, but a 550 would also handle all the pistol and rifle rounds you need at a lesser cost. Then the Square Deal B is really nice but only does pistol. 

All that being said I started out with a LEE Turret Press which I still have. I got one of the all inclusive kits and it worked well for me for a while. Much less money and makes quality ammo at just a slower speed. 

If if you have any specific questions shoot me a message. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-7k rounds a year, damn I better up my game
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can do it super cheap for my practice ammo though. I melt down wheel weights and have a guy that makes my pistol bullets for me using the lead ingots. That cuts out the most expensive part so I am really only buying powder and primers.
  • SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I have a lot more research to do but RCBS sounds like the way to go. I have a couple buddies that I can use for mentoring so I don't blow my face off lol. Time to start looking around for equipment...
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Heh, after browsing this thread I went to Facebook and what should show up but an ad for RCBS equipment.... No such thing as privacy on the web. We are borg....

edit: couple of days ago I mentioned to Brett in a pm the idea of getting a microscope for his kid, and just now an ad for microscopes showed up on facebook. Culled keywords from our pm's??? Maybe, or maybe monitoring keystrokes.... If it wasn't for keeping in touch with my new-found family I would ditch that social media.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That explains all the advertisements for butt plugs.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clicked on an ad for what looked like a cigar but was a recreational marijuana site
    A little dirt never hurt