Home General Discussion

Two for a Special Occasion

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I need some advice and who better than the good people here to ask.

My Daughter called over the Holiday weekend and told us that she is Engaged.  The guy started out on the poop list as he drank too much and made my baby girl cry.  They have been on and off since they were in college.  Fast forward to today, they both are in high paying jobs with a lot of responsibility, he cut way back on partying and my daughter is as happy as we have seen her in some time.

I would like to get a couple nice cigars to put away and just before they tie the knot sit down with him and pass on the tradition of giving the groom to be a pocket knife. Not sure where that started but it has gone on for some time in the family.  He also smokes cigars on occasion sooo, you all on here know way more than me.

Which Cigar do you suggest??

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Garcia y Garcia 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, well if he's only an occasional smoker I'd suggest something on the mild-medium end of the spectrum.  Don't want to throw too much ligero at him.

How much $$ are you looking to spend.  Once you go above the $20 price point, ROI is very subjective IMO.  There are some truly rare and unique $50-100 smokes out there, but that might not be "worth it" especially if he's only an occasional cigar smoker. 

I think it would be especially unique to find a cigar from the year when they first met.....or a cigar from the year they were engaged, that would add an extra bit of "uniqueness" to it IMO.   

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well when I am unsure how often he smokes or what, but do know he enjoys a cigar with the guys. Would like to get something special, my first thought is Opus X, but that is because it is the only "really good" cigar I know by name.  It is a one time buy so I wouldn't mind spending extra for the occasion.  Already have a Boker Mokume picket out for the traditional gift.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff makes some really nice cigars and most are mild to medium
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Garcia y Garcia

Davidoff

Have heard of both, but have not sampled them as of yet.  Seems I need to pick out a variety and take my time with each.  Who knew smoking cigars would require homework.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long do you want the 1 on 1 smoking time to last?  That Garcia Y Garcia is amazing, available, and worth the cost (in my opinion) but it's a three hour cigar.  I can think of several shorter cigars (to me better than opus) that won't kill him, most of which are still available.  Just would like to know smoke time.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

Smoke time?  Another thing that I never gave a thought to. From my limited experience it seems most good cigars last an hour or more so let me throw 90 minutes out there as a starting point.

I didn't used to like the young man, but he has really matured and from our last visit I learned that I do not mind his company.

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    Well when I am unsure how often he smokes or what, but do know he enjoys a cigar with the guys. Would like to get something special, my first thought is Opus X, but that is because it is the only "really good" cigar I know by name.  It is a one time buy so I wouldn't mind spending extra for the occasion.  Already have a Boker Mokume picket out for the traditional gift.
    Davidoff and Fuente Opus X are both solid choices.
    You certainly can't go wrong with either one. 

Those are two of best known cigar brands in the world IMO (aside from Cuban Cohibas). 

Also, I'd suggest sticking with a medium size (think 48-56 ring gauge) .... robusto/toro/belicoso/churchill vitola. 

Anything smaller, and he may have trouble smoking it since the smaller RGs tend to burn "hot & fast" if you're only an occasional smoker and try to puff to fast. 
    And anything larger than that may feel uncomfortable in the hand and mouth. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

in that case I would highly recommend the la palina family series little bill, or Goldie. Both can be had for 20 or so a stick.  Won't take too long, are mild in vitamin N, but very flavorful.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a beverage pairing in mind?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I can provide several options for both of my suggestions.  At least that work well for my untrained pallet.
    MOW badge received.

@Patrickbrick,  something tells me that you are being modest. I am the one with the untrained, still exploring pallet.

@Yakster beverage pairing is another thing I have not thought ahead to, but seeing we both enjoy a single malt scotch, that would be a good start. 

The boy has grown up and no longer guzzles beer or cheap booze. Our last discussion was which is better: Glenfiddich or Glenlivet ?

lol I certainly am not a modest person.  Also to answer your question I need to ask a question.  what age are you talking?
    MOW badge received.
    Age?  as in our age or age of cigars or?
    The age of the scotches.  We talking standard 12 year or are we moving up, my answer depends on the age.
    MOW badge received.
    The bottle of Glenlivet that I opened for New Years is 18 years. Will probably have them to the house and send the girls shopping when we do this. so lets say 18 or if out the best they have without spending Dalmore or Macallen prices.
    18 I have to go glenfiddich, but 12 year is glenlivet, also if you ever get the chance to try livet 1967 do it.  
    MOW badge received.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, congratulations!!

Ya know, a full cigar seems spooky, but a nice steak dinner, with a jacketed potato and creme brûlée will set you up for a full stick. 

If if I may go out on a limb (because these sticks are ~ the price of Opus), may I suggest the Padron 80th in Maduro? Very special cigar for a very special occasion.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    I appreciate all the suggestions and making me think more about this. 
    So many ideas and more things to decide, but i will only have one crack at this
    Pm me if you'd like to chat further on the subject.
    MOW badge received.
    I personally would prefer the McCallan 12 over the Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 18, and it can be had for less than either.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    What took you so long to chime in
    MOW badge received.
    Long meeting.

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also remember that you may lose some flavors/nuances if pairing with a strong beverage. Being an occasional smoker, that might not matter to him though.
    Ya know what goes good with a quality stick? A nice cup of artisan coffee... @peter4jc
    Thank You Peter4jc
    Everyone has made me think more and more .
    I want it to be something we remember fondly