Home Cigar 101

HONDERAS!!!!

wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
ok so im pretty shure i spelt it wrong.
but that dosnt matter. my girlfriend is in honderas!
and is going to grab me a few! but she dosnt no whats good and whats not?
sooooo. what are some commoned named cigars that she could find that are truly amazing??
any suggestions?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    wmaxham:
    ok so im pretty shure i spelt it wrong. but that dosnt matter. my girlfriend is in honderas! and is going to grab me a few! but she dosnt no whats good and whats not? sooooo. what are some commoned named cigars that she could find that are truly amazing?? any suggestions?
    Hondurans Some of my favorites are made in Honduras Rock Patel Vintage 1992, 1990, and 1999. along with Partagas, although the filler and wrapper are not Honduran, Camacho is Honduran three ways Wrapper filler and binder but rather strong for a new smoker. Hey there are so many good smokes out there maybe she can find some fresh rolled " street cigars" but I would avoid anyone who claims to have Cubans.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I would avoid anyone who claims to have Cubans.
    agreed
    I like honduran tobacco. anything that is a honduran puro id be ok with just in principal.
  • wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    i may be a new smoker, but camachu isnt very strong.......i cant seem to find a smoke that can nock my socks off like a nub can..........
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    wmaxham:
    i may be a new smoker, but camachu isnt very strong.......i cant seem to find a smoke that can nock my socks off like a nub can..........
    Out of curiosity, how do you determine strength in a cigar? I ask because Camacho is pretty well known for putting out strong cigars, and I'd like to know how you define the strength of a cigar.
    wmaxham:
    I find this interesting. Camacho is world renound for the power and depth of flavor and body. i mean, even their CANDELA is considered a medium body smoke.
    the nub is generally accepted as a medium to full smoke. If youve only had one camacho and it was after a very large meal then it wont feel as strong and if youve only had a few nubs but they were on an empty stomach, we may have found where your reasoning is comming from.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to break it to you guys, I too don't find Camacho overly powerful. I actually still to this day rate the Triple Maduro as my biggest dissappointment ever. Its an ok smoke but hardly the powerhouse I expected. You want a power house cigar smoke some Tatuaje's, the cojonu's and supposedly the Tat Black but I smoked mine on a very full stomach after chowing on Mexican food so that was a mistake.
    i never expected the triple maduro to be a powerhouse. I was fairly sure that the camacho corojo line would be more powerful. Just by the nature of a quality maduro i figured the giar would be a med-full not an out and out full. I still think that the camacho corojo and camacho havanna (in the figurado shape) are two of the more powerful cigars ive had. the La Flor Dominicana double ligero is up there too.

Im sure we could debate this on and on but much like the taste of a cigar, the strength of a cigar depends on a series of things that can change daily. the short list includes: how often you smoke, how full bodied the cigars you usually smoke are, what you ate that day, how much you ate that day, how hydrated you are, what you are drinking while you smoke, how your body reacts to cigars in general... and so on.

the brand as a single unit is more full bodied than many other brands out there. RPs and Gurkhas (and not even so much gurkhas anymore) are also more full bodied as a brand, unlike macanudo. they are a mild to medium at best kinda brand.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i never expected the triple maduro to be a powerhouse. I was fairly sure that the camacho corojo line would be more powerful. Just by the nature of a quality maduro i figured the giar would be a med-full not an out and out full. I still think that the camacho corojo and camacho havanna (in the figurado shape) are two of the more powerful cigars ive had. the La Flor Dominicana double ligero is up there too.

Im sure we could debate this on and on but much like the taste of a cigar, the strength of a cigar depends on a series of things that can change daily. the short list includes: how often you smoke, how full bodied the cigars you usually smoke are, what you ate that day, how much you ate that day, how hydrated you are, what you are drinking while you smoke, how your body reacts to cigars in general... and so on.

the brand as a single unit is more full bodied than many other brands out there. RPs and Gurkhas (and not even so much gurkhas anymore) are also more full bodied as a brand, unlike macanudo. they are a mild to medium at best kinda brand.
    Good points as always. I didn't expect the trip maddy to be the most powerful thing I've ever smoked but it was advertised as the most full bodied maduro ever. But it was way to creamy for me. Camacho is a more full bodied line but I don't find them as full as Tats or even most DPGs
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Sorry to break it to you guys, I too don't find Camacho overly powerful. I actually still to this day rate the Triple Maduro as my biggest dissappointment ever. Its an ok smoke but hardly the powerhouse I expected. You want a power house cigar smoke some Tatuaje's, the cojonu's and supposedly the Tat Black but I smoked mine on a very full stomach after chowing on Mexican food so that was a mistake.
    The second or third cigar I ever smoked was a Punch Gran Puro.. It almost made me puke.. Three way Honduran, and it nearly put me off cigars completely.. Except for the fact I had just bought about a dozen different sticks to sample.. I have never tried another Punch because of that experience. I was just thinking that maybe Full bodied may not be a good starting point for most novice smokers. While someone with a few hundred under their belt will really enjoy what a full bodied stick provides.
    i LOVE the punch gran puro. one of my all time faves.... at least as far as "everyday smokes"
    ok. So I can't remember the other cigar she got. But she did manage to get 2 coiba. Or the cubans that scores an 97 in the mag. And I smoked one last night. And it was really really nice. But I'll get back to u on the exact names.
    wmaxham:
    Or the cubans that scores an 97 in the mag.
    that narrows it down....

this is while she was in honduras? she got you two cubans while there... i cant help but be suspect about that. almost all "cubans" that are purchased in Latin America are fake. not all. I hope you arent being taken.
    One of my first cigars was a fake cuban I got in Mexico, I suppose I thought that a street vendor would be a reliable source.... Don't know what I was thinking except that $20 seemed like a good deal for some "real" cubans. I can't help but look back and laugh.
    was it a cohiba in a glass box?
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    wmaxham:
    ok. So I can't remember the other cigar she got. But she did manage to get 2 coiba. Or the cubans that scores an 97 in the mag. And I smoked one last night. And it was really really nice. But I'll get back to u on the exact names.
    Was it actually spelled Coiba? Then it was a fake. Can you post a close up picture of the band? Always cool to travel outside the country, just be careful......
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Capt:
    wmaxham:
    Was it actually spelled Coiba? Then it was a fake. Can you post a close up picture of the band? Always cool to travel outside the country, just be careful......
    Probably just a typo:

wmaxham:
    camachu
    honderas
    selection is imacable
    camroom
    conneticut
    guage
    humidifyer
    bottels
    Sorry Max :)
    i figured it was a type-o also.

i cant spell or type either.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Guys, I was being serious. You never know what people try to peddle. But, it could be a real band, just a fake cigar. But if you enjoyed it, who cares!
    Capt:
    Guys, I was being serious. You never know what people try to peddle. But, it could be a real band, just a fake cigar. But if you enjoyed it, who cares!
    I know you were being serious.. but I don't know that he would be able to tell us otherwise. Like you said, if you enjoy it, there's not much left to talk about. Except for the fact that it would potentially influence the likelihood of your purchasing more of that brand in the future.
    kuzi16:
    was it a cohiba in a glass box?
    If you were replying to me, yes it was a glass box Cohiba. I found out shortly after getting back that they were counterfeit and that most "cuban" cigars one would purchase in that fashion were through doing some reading. I was disappointed to say the least, but at least I didn't spend much on them.
    they were cohiba but not a glass box. But a cohiba box. They were good though.
    they were in a reliable cigar store. So maybe
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    IMHO, I think that people get too worked up as to if a cigar was real cuban or not. I'd say that if the person enjoyed the cigar and enjoy the fact that they smoked a cuban, leave it at that. It is a whole aura of doing something that they are not supposed to do and be smoking one of the best cigars in the world.
    ok its a cohiba habana,cuba. And the other is don Tomas Classico. I had 2 cubans and 5 don's. The dons are robustos. And the cohiba's are I think lanceros? But shorter? Like 6 or 7 inches.

And wellsaid vank. Yeah I deft enjoyed this cigar enough to beleave it's a Cuban. Wether or not it really is. But I'm sold. Def one of the best if had.
    vankleekkw:
    IMHO, I think that people get too worked up as to if a cigar was real cuban or not. I'd say that if the person enjoyed the cigar and enjoy the fact that they smoked a cuban, leave it at that. It is a whole aura of doing something that they are not supposed to do and be smoking one of the best cigars in the world.
    true. however its an honesty thing. If you are looking for cuban tobacco and you get something else... thats a problem. If you are sold lexus and a toyota shows up in your driveway but the badge was replaced with a toyota one wouldnt you be upset? toyotas make some nice cars. some could argue that they can compare to lexus on at least some levels. but it isnt what you wanted. If you want a cuban, make sure its cuban. If you want honduran, buy honduran.
    kuzi16:
    vankleekkw:
    true. however its an honesty thing. If you are looking for cuban tobacco and you get something else... thats a problem. If you are sold lexus and a toyota shows up in your driveway but the badge was replaced with a toyota one wouldnt you be upset? toyotas makel some nice cars. some could argue that they can compare to lexus on at least some levels. but it isnt what you wanted. If you
    want a cuban, make sure its cuban. If you want honduran, buy
    honduran.

I think u kent lexis badge.

And how would u make sure u have cubans unless u actualy are in Cuba buying it?

man.... thats a hard one to field...
    when has that ever stopped me?

the shop must say "casa de la habana" on it. (im pretty sure about that)

if it doesnt say that then you are taking a big risk.

if you suspect you have a fake cuban there are signs that will tell you that its either real or fake. One is how the band looks. Real cuban bands are usually embossed. the band is spot on (no smudges, ghosting, faded letters or misaligning type or design. the colors are true and sonsistant.)
    real cubans will have box codes on them. these can be checked. the vitola is one that is made by that maker. (ive seen fake cohibas that are in the barberpole style. cohiba has never made that)

the way the leaves are bunched can give it away.
    with practice you can spot a fake. I am not 100% sure i could. my cuban experiance is very limited.
    Casa del la habana? Is there only one shop in honderas that sells cubans?

And the lable was spot on. Excep it has Habana, Cuba printed on it? And the lable I saw didn't have that on there? But it could just be they added that to the lable after the lable I saw was made?
    dutyje:

Probably just a typo:

wmaxham:

camachu

honderas

selection is imacable

camroom

conneticut

guage

humidifyer

bottels

Lol. It's fine. U remind me of my ex gf though. Lol.
    And yeah my spelling is really bad. But I'm a good reader. I'm not iliterate. Just the worst spelled ever. Exspecialy with name brands or things I don't spell to oftin. Other to
    Times it hitting the wrong keys and not checking the words I had typed. but yeah. It's nice to know u keeps tabs on every word I
    Misspell. ; )

Sorry Max :)
    I can't help it... I manage a team of people, half of whom are paid to write correctly and unambiguously (the others are paid to design software)... and my sister is an English teacher :)