Home Non Cigar Related

Any Dish Network geniuses out there?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Boy, I'll tell ya - trying to deal with support folks at Dish Network is an ordeal. Do we have anybody on the forum who works for Dish?  I'd like to chat with ya for a bit, if we do. 

It's extremely frustrating trying to converse with those folks. I don't know if their system is planned to be frustrating but it sure seems like it. If you call them on the phone, the people who end up on the line with you have such a heavy accent from who-knows-what country that I can only understand about every third or fourth word. 

And if you try the chat route, thinking that at least you ought to be able to understand something in text, they never seem to answer the question you ask. They always seem to answer something that they think you mighta meant instead of what you actually said. Then, when the frustration level at both ends gets high enough, they'll suggest you go to this link or that link and, of course, if you do you lose your connection to them. It's downright maddening. 

My principal question seems pretty straightforward to me - how do I hook up my receiver to the internet so I can use the Sling adapter that's required to use the Dishanywhere app. I've gone online to ask that question at sites other than Dish and the answer that I get doesn't come close to matching the equipment I have. 

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    This is what I found.
    1. Connect your ViP 722/722k HD DuoDVR® or the Hopper to high-speed internet service.
    2. Attach your Sling® Adapter to your DVR using the USB port.
    3. Log into dishanywhere.com on your computer, or download the DISH Anywhere app to your smartphone or tablet, and start watching live or recorded TV as you wish!
    So if I read it correctly, you connect your ethernet cord to the back of the DVR/receiver, then connect the sling adapter to the DVR/receiver using a USB port, then use Dishanywhere to connect.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right. I found that, too. My question is how do I accomplish no. 1?
    edited January 2017
    So you have the VP 722 DVR or Hopper?
    Should be an ethernet port on the back of the DVR to plug in your internet to.
    Unless you are using wifi, then there should be a setting in your Dish set up to connect to wifi.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I'm wireless. There isn't any Ethernet cable
    edited January 2017
    Then you should be able to just plug the Sling into the back of the receiver USB port and go, if I read everything alright.

I found this. This might help.
    If you can get Youtube, 

https://youtu.be/Hxq4mABeEkE
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    The instructions I found for hooking up wirelessly say to press the menu button on the Dish remote. Then select 'settings' on the screen...  etc. 

The problem is - when you press 'menu' there is no 'settings' selection available....
    Is there a home button?
    One of the things says to tap the home button twice to get the settings tab.

I'm lost on this one. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    That's another thing. The Dish folks don't all call things by the same name. The button you're referring to I've heard called the home button, the menu button, and the input button. 

There may be a clue for me in that video you posted, Tony. I'm gonna watch it again but I recall the guy saying that the Sling logo on top of the unit lights up. I've tried plugging it into both USB ports and can't get it to light up. 

The receiver that Dish just sent me to replace one that went t its-up
    on me is a refurb - not a new one. There may be a problem with it. Maybe that's why nothing is working with this adapter. 

Damn, I hate having to try to get Dish to switch receivers again but... oh, well....   

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am new to Dish and have one of those hopper thingies, it hooks up to the wireless fairly automatic. when the connection gets fouled I just turn it off, a hard shutdown, fire it up and hooked up again. I use that DishAnywhere app and can watch tv on my phone or pad. Kinda like to change the channels in the other room where mama is watchin tv, she thinks something is really wacko with Dish
    A little dirt never hurt
    Mine's not a Hopper. I guess mine is an older version. I'm still gathering clues - I think I may have to buy an internet adapter to complete this process. You'd think Dish would have told me so from the get-go....   :s
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I would just tell them Directv is supposed to just hook right up to my wireless (mine never did but you can tell them that)..Funny thing is if you cancel their @ss you will have so many amazing offers from them within 2 days
    A little dirt never hurt
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Had dish a couple of years ago worked for three months and stopped, called technician out and he decided that a tree was the problem, tree was in neighbors yard and was there when system was initially setup. Tech decided there was no place in my yard to receive signal. I said remove it! a couple of weeks later got a call to determine what the problem was and why I wanted to discontinue service. Told caller about the tree and story. I have never been bothered by them again. I now have ROKU box and only have problems when the I net goes down for whatever reason, and I love watching what I want when I want to watch it, there is no timing schedule, it is streaming. Also I pay $8.95  a month for tv!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    It's funny, but that last week or so, we have watched more on Amazon and Netflix, than we do regular TV. 
    If it keeps going this direction, we may dump Directv and just go with those.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dish network sucked bad for me.
    Every time I called them they charged me $5 whether the problem was solved or not.
    The smartest thing I ever did was cancelled their service and went to direct tv.
    Had zero problems from that point on.
    I never could get the sling TV thing to work.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.