Home Pipes

Help identify these please

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
A thread for estate pipe identification. As I get older my eyesight is getting worse and I can barely read some of the stamps on pipes. There are good resources and of course Google but sometimes the info is hard to come by especially if you can't tell what the heck a stamp is or what it says. I would like to identify and value a few pipes from my recent acquisition so please let me know if you have any or can find any info. Thanks!!

First up is a really cool small pipe. It looks like either the stamp has be worn off or rubbed off. I have no idea if it resembles anything. I think the stem is made of bone. 

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Next up is a KAPP. Think the other side is stamped Imported Genuine Briar and my research shows it is an early Peterson before they started using the name Peterson. It's a great find but I cannot find anything close to this shape. Really hoping to find a year range and value on this one. I'm definitely cleaning this up and keeping it in my collection. I love short fat pipes like this. 

This one has Sterling Silver stamped across the band. To me this looks like a large K and there may be something below but it is too faint. I'd really like to find out what this one is  

I don't know anything about merschaum pipes. This is in a really old box and it looks like it has started yellowing with age  does not appear to have been smoked. I do not see any marking ls on the box or the pipe  

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meers take on a lovely yellow color as you smoke them. Some advocate holding new meers with cotton gloves to avoid marks from finger oils from making uneven coloring. Lovely. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    This is a Savinelli Dry System 2604 which I have found. The thing is I can't find any with a gold color band like this one. Is it significant? I doubt it is real gold but all the ones I can find have silver bands. The stem looks like wood land is like a reverse p lip with the hole at the top.

Yakster said:
    Meers take on a lovely yellow color as you smoke them. Some advocate holding new meers with cotton gloves to avoid marks from finger oils from making uneven coloring. Lovely. 
    So would it yellow with age like it has or did it get a really good cleaning? That bowl
    is stark white. It is a great looking piece. Never had one. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    regarding the Sav Dry system, try a polishing cloth or silver polish, it could be tarnish you are seeing rather than gold.
    regarding the Sav Dry system, try a polishing cloth or silver polish, it could be tarnish you are seeing rather than gold.
    It definitely has a uniform color that doesn't seem to be tarnish but I will be polishing all the medal so I'll see if it changes. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The heat of smoking colors the meer pipes, maybe search on breaking in a meer. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )