Home Cigar 101

New to cigar smoking..need help

I am a true novice to the art of enjoying a cigar. I have had a few with friends whether golfing or fishing or just winding down the day.. Need some suggestions on some smoothe, mild, or mild to medium bodied cigars with sweeter tastes and aromas. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 vegas gold. Cheap, mild and not bad.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, Rick @wardamneagle. These guys have mentioned a few good ones - ones I like, also. 

One of the brothers will most likely ask for your address so they can send you a copy of the newsletter. I'm sure you'll enjoy it....   B)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Welcome to the forum Rick @wardamneagle.  I'm not really smoking too many "mild" cigars myself lately but I'll post a few suggestions because I did have a mild connecticut a few nights ago that I really enjoyed. (I also read your other post. You mentioned two "flavored" cigars. My advice is to go natural. Taste the tobacco, not the flavoring.) 

Try a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/11943/romeo-y-julieta-reserva-real/ 

There are so many choices out there for you to choose from and a lot of what I really want to recommend are considered medium to medium-full, not mild. But, Here's a random tip. Smoke your cigars after a meal containing some carbs. It helps you better handle higher doses of nicotine you sometimes get with cigars when you start trying stronger blends. 

Also try these: 
    AVO - Classic
    CAO - Black
    Warped - La Hacienda
    Caldwell - Eastern Standard
    Hammer and Sickle - Tradicion

So many more,......... 

Welcome again. Enjoy the journey.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoid Ghurka like a virus. Construction issues and inflated msrp.
    You might want to try Ave Maria. Reasonably priced and some good samplers on ccom. Welcome to the forum! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Guitarded said:
    Avoid Ghurka like a virus. Construction issues and inflated msrp.
    You might want to try Ave Maria. Reasonably priced and some good samplers on ccom. Welcome to the forum! 
    I meat to say that too! Avoid Ghurka! LOL
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Crowned Heads Luminosa
    Oliva Connecticut
    A Fuente Don Carlos
    Butera
    Caldwell Eastern Standard
    New World
    Aging Room Hava'o Connecticut
    Find a good B&M to shop at, You can ask the tabaonist this question and they should give you a good idea of where to start. If possible I recommend visiting several shops and pay attention to their stock, to see if they are replenishing it.

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • wardamneaglewardamneagle Posts: 6
    Thanks so much for the tips...I have a great selection to start from. As for the brick and mortar shops there is only a few, that I am aware of, in this area. Total wine has quite a large selection and there are a few lounges around that sell so I am ordering from here to start. Thanks again! 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your area?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • wardamneaglewardamneagle Posts: 6
    Greenville, SC
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best Connecticuts in my book is the CAO black. Mild but lots of flavor and smoke. 
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    San Cristobal Elegancia - can't go wrong. 

Also try a Roma Craft Neanderthal or Cro Magnon.  Then you'll know what to stay away from.  :smile:
    @peter4jc don't be bad-mouthing Roma Craft, lol. However I tend to like the real strong stuff, so don't my advice on cigars.

@wardamneagle I agree with all the suggestions above. One great thing about Cigar.com is that for most of the Cigars you can find a rating from mild all the way up to full bodied. Unlike some of the sites on the net, most of the descriptions on Cigar.com contains a flavor profile, I find extremely helpful in navigating the waters of choosing good smokes. Even though in the beginning you might not notice most of the flavors that come naturally from the different tobaccos, but that will come with time. If you will checkout the Cigar 101 section here on the forum, you will find several helpful posts. Welcome to the nuthouse.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the tips...I have a great selection to start from. As for the brick and mortar shops there is only a few, that I am aware of, in this area. Total wine has quite a large selection and there are a few lounges around that sell so I am ordering from here to start. Thanks again! 
    I don't know about South Carolina, but the Total Wine up the road here in Dull-Aware charges about twice what each cigar is worth. Great place for wine; not so much for gars. It may behoove you to find the closest cigar lounge.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    San Cristobal Elegancia - can't go wrong. 

Also try a Roma Craft Neanderthal or Cro Magnon.  Then you'll know what to stay away from.  :smile:
    @peter4jc don't be bad-mouthing Roma Craft, lol. However I tend to like the real strong stuff, so don't my advice on cigars.

I would never bad-mouth Roma Craft...  the OP was asking about mild cigars, which RC's are not.  The Aquitaine is my favorite from them.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Oh, Peter, you'd badmouth the snout off a prize pig.   :D

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I would never bad-mouth Roma Craft...  the OP was asking about mild cigars, which RC's are not.  The Aquitaine is my favorite from them.
    LOL, I understood, just giving you a little grief. @peter4jc
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Must say I tried a Drew Estates Java the other night. Liked that one pretty good. Just received my first sampler from cigar.com, not a custom one since I'm wanting to explore a bit. I have found a couple brick and mortar shops here in Greenville so I shall shop around and ask a million questions. Thanks for all the tips..again...I know now what to look for...
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Try not to be afraid to experiment, most newbies are including me. I have been quite surprised at many of the sticks I have liked, looking at them I would have turned them down. (Roma Craft Neanderthal, a very smooth smoke, only after I got the sweats from the nicotine, but I plan to smoke it again in the future.)  
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.