Home General Discussion

We have a root cellar that we want to turn into a wine cellar & walk in humidor, any suggestions?

We are thinking of lining it with Spanish cedar & using brick or slate on the floor.  We live in TN, on the Cumberland Plateau, so we experience all 4 seasons & have humidity in the summer.  Our plan is to be able to sit inside the room (approx 20'x12') to drink/smoke with each other/friends whenever we want. We don't plan on stocking more than 300 bottle of wine & keeping more thank 500 cigars on hand, but we don't mind having shelf space for more than that if necessary.  Has anyone done a project like this?  

Answers

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

This sounds amazing.  I unfortunately do not have any recommendations for you but have also dreamed of a very similar setting in my own home. 

If you're able to accomplish it, please post pictures when you're done!!!!

Good luck!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but where will you store the parsnips, potatoes, and carrots!??!!!!? 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we used to say in the navy, file them in the parsnips, potatoes, & carrots file under "PP&C".....   :p

We were a buncha smartazzes.....  
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpinismo from Deer Run winery beside Lake Conesus un New York. Best wine to accompany a cigar that I have yet found. So good, I bought a case. That would be my suggestion.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can partition the space for your humidor, that is what I'd recommend. 

My only other recommendation? A couple nice chairs in the storage area; sometimes it is nice to go sit with the cigars and bottles. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    If you can partition the space for your humidor, that is what I'd recommend. 

My only other recommendation? A couple nice chairs in the storage area; sometimes it is nice to go sit with the cigars and bottles. 
    ... and a reading lamp.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this thing the other day on ebay.  I've been thinking about taking some wood working classes and trying my hand at building some nice furniture that suits my taste.  I wouldn't include the mirror and bar area though; it would just be spaces for wine bottles on the entire right side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-Cigar-Tower-Cabinet-Wine-Rack-Bar-Humidor-FREE-SHIPPING-/222195467574?hash=item33bbe1c536:g:EjAAAOSwaB5Xko~N

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this thing the other day on ebay.  I've been thinking about taking some wood working classes and trying my hand at building some nice furniture that suits my taste.  I wouldn't include the mirror and bar area though; it would just be spaces for wine bottles on the entire right side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-Cigar-Tower-Cabinet-Wine-Rack-Bar-Humidor-FREE-SHIPPING-/222195467574?hash=item33bbe1c536:g:EjAAAOSwaB5Xko~N

@clearlysuspect ; 1) that's a bada$$ tower.  2) i agree the mirror/glass storage area seems kind of pointless. no need to keep those things in a temp/humidity controlled setting.  3) that's a heck of a first project to take up as a "newbie" woodworker.  if you decide to try it, please take some pics and share the build process with us. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *