Home Non Cigar Related

Challenge Coins

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that a few of the Cigar makers offer Challenge Coins and Coin key fogs and such in their package deals.   Does anyone collect Challenge Coins?  Maybe you received some while serving?

My assignments while on Active Duty and now working as a DOD Civilian at a Combatant Command, put me in position to work projects for some senior people in the Military

Anybody have some you care to share?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure what you were talking about, so I googled it, only to discover perhaps I have a few of them. Let me know if I am correct, Two of them are from my son's platoon graduation from boot-camp, I was given one, and asked his drill Sargent for another to display both sides with his graduation portrait. Two more from a group of Navy SWICC crews I taught a few years ago, stand up guys to say the least!

https://youtu.be/6d2srpB1TnI  
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    Those are awesome, mine are quite different, just commemorative coins I guess. 
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

When out with old Army buds, I leave those challenge coins behind. The only one given to me for something I did totally on my own was awarded by a 1 star, so sometimes I get to buy a round of drinks too. 

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several. When i remember ill snap a pic
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Motorcycle clubs will often do challenge coins, too.  I have quite a few that I've picked up over the years.
    Motor Cycle Clubs?  never knew that, I bet they can come up with some pretty neat ones.
    I have a couple of these!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I have some around here somewhere.  They were with my golf ball collection.  I think my daughters may have taken them.   :'(
  • ElJimboElJimbo Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bump.

I gotta couple o' those.  B)

One on the left presented by co for something not terrible that i did.

One on the right (designed by my division chief), given to me, rather grudgingly, by different co on my way out...
    ¡Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! -General Zapata
    edited February 2017
    And this one, which I don't count 'cause it was got in a gift shop.
    I really enjoy seeing coins that others receive and collect.
    Working at a Combatant Command for the last 17 years has allowed me to meet and work with some of the smartest people to ever wear a uniform.
    Diver43 said:

These are my two highest awarded.

The one from Secretary Rumsfeld I happened to be the guy on duty at the time that an incident happened and I served under General Pace when he was the Commander of USSOUTHCOM

Diver43 said:
    I really enjoy seeing coins that others receive and collect.
    Working at a Combatant Command for the last 17 years has allowed me to meet and work with some of the smartest people to ever wear a uniform.
    That's a nice collection @Diver43.

I'm curious what jobs y'all or family members had?
    I was in the Army for 20 years in the Transportation Corps. Loaded and unloaded several ships, airplanes, and rail cars for units.  Last 17 have been as a DA Civilian supporting US SOUTHERN COMMAND.  Our shop does everything from arrange airline tickets, household goods moves and VIP motorpool. I do whats lots of others do, just often for senior officers because of the location
    Diver43 said:
    I was in the Army for 20 years in the Transportation Corps. Loaded and unloaded several ships, airplanes, and rail cars for units.  Last 17 have been as a DA Civilian supporting US SOUTHERN COMMAND.  Our shop does everything from arrange airline tickets, household goods moves and VIP motorpool. I do whats lots of others do, just often for senior officers because of the location
    Sounds like a rough job, bet you had to deal with a lot of egos...
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife got a challenge coin, gave it to me and said do what you want with it.

It's local law enforcement.  The PD at the municipality she works for is celebrating its 50th year. 

We don't really have anything to do with it.  Do any of you collectors want it?

I can give more info or snap a pic if anyone's interested.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son in Special Forces collects them.  The very few I get, I give to him.  I recently gave him one that a friend of mine in ICE gave me.
    ElJimbo said:
    Diver43 said:
    Sounds like a rough job, bet you had to deal with a lot of egos...
    You would be surprised at how down to earth most flag officers are
    All besides our current four star treat our guys well
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got some challenge coins from AA, does that count?
    I've got some challenge coins from AA, does that count?
    My Challenge Coins are just things.  Yours are life.  I hope you collect many more