Home Cigar 101

Smells like glue on new humidor.

DrMundoDrMundo Posts: 24
edited February 2017 in Cigar 101
Well, now my humidor is pretty dried, however I've smelled something that really sour that more likely glue or adhesive that usually using in the building construction. Well, might be not glue but one thing i can sure about is smells totally different than my old humidor. by the way, do they like that kinds of heavy smelling adhesives on humidor? cuz I've never had a scent like this in my previous 3 humidors and this one is the brand humidor.  even that cheapass humidor which is selling with that sampler combo.

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a saucer of baking soda will absorb off-odors
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is this the same humidor you've been putting 150 degree hot water into? 
    and had 99% humidity in it? 

IF SO, keep the lid open and let it air out for a week or so. 

if the smell is still there after a week you probably ruined the humidor. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to say it, but I think that @jgibv is correct.  Let it sit open and allow it to come to the relative humidity of your home.  If the smell is still there I would try the baking soda and if that unfortunately doesn't work, You may be stuck starting over new.

Either way it is not an overnight fix. I may be newer to cigars and humidors, but went though the same thing after following instructions from someone I thought knew what they were doing. 

Start fresh with the Boveda system, it takes time, but you will not be sorry

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • DrMundoDrMundo Posts: 24
    Well Thanks guys, anyway I've just refund it.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it takes all kinds......  :o