Home General Discussion

R.I.P. Dunhill

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've never smoked a Dunhill cigar but have smoked a lot of Dunhill pipe tobacco and liked it. This is sad news:
http://cigar-coop.com/2017/02/cigar-news-british-american-tobacco-to-discontinue-dunhill-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco.html

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early morning pipe was a goto for me. That is sad to hear. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that sucks.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :(
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll miss Mixture 965 and Early Morning Pipe.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this sucks
    Non Crux sed lux
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got me some Dunhill Rothschilde early on in my cigar smoking. Very excellent. Haven't seen any since.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man there are a lot of brands changing or just flat out going under lately, so sad!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I have heard for a while that the Dunhill brand wanted to drop tobacco from its portfolio. I believe they want to be a high-end men's fashion and lifestyle brand, and take the stance that tobacco is outdated and gross.  Seems bizarre since Dunhill began as a smoke shop.  

Will Dunhill pipes be discontinued as well? They were already pricey, but talk about price hikes if they are going away...
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly I doubt this is the last one. 
    I have heard for a while that the Dunhill brand wanted to drop tobacco from its portfolio.
    I didn't know they did anything else. 

And now, I'm not interested in anything else they do.

I'm actually not sure where one "company" begins and the other ends.  

Dunhill of London is the high end co. Definitely derives from Alfred Dunhill who made the pipes and originally started making the tobacco. They now want nothing to do with pipes or tobacco. I believe some other companies (BAT, General cigar) were involved in producing and selling the tobacco, but clearly had the name behind it.

Yes, they disowned the tobacco portion and that seemed completely fake and a puss move to me.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I've never smoked a Dunhill cigar but have smoked a lot of Dunhill pipe tobacco and liked it. This is sad news:
    http://cigar-coop.com/2017/02/cigar-news-british-american-tobacco-to-discontinue-dunhill-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco.html

From the article: "While Dunhill cigar and pipe tobacco will be dropped, Dunhill cigarette products will continue."
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )