Home Non Cigar Related

tax returns?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why are they going on about Trump's tax returns?
Is the IRS not getting them looked at well enough?
Not sure I understand why it's an issue.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an issue because it's part of the witch-hunt and constant bombardment to disprove and discredit anything and everything associated with Trump.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont know how to put the morgan Freeman caption saing "hes right you know" here but it belongs.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Why are they going on about Trump's tax returns?
    Is the IRS not getting them looked at well enough?
    Not sure I understand why it's an issue.

It gives them fuel to keep the fire burning. Anything they can get more viewers from they will use to keep trying to brainwash and corrupt are minds.

I had to stop watching the news, it's so corrupt and negative that I honestly feel bad from watching it.

I will turn on BBC world news every once and awhile to see a more balanced and fair approach instead of left vs right. It's good to see what's actually going on around the world to not just American news.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBC News is pretty good and they have an app for my iPhone. I also have an app for RT News. I check both periodically. 

I find it curious that so many US news media people can be so easily hoodwinked into believing the liberal bullsheet that they publish. Do they think the rest of us are also that dense?   B)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta
    Marty, it's pretty clear that a large portion of this country ARE that dense. 

It's amazing on social media how many people share or re-post all the fake news crap as fact. 

None of them take the time to find out if the bs the post is real.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    That's one of the reasons I refuse to have anything to do with the so-called 'social media'....  

There was a comedian a while back who used to say, "Who does that?  Who's got the time??"   :D
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    BBC News is pretty good and they have an app for my iPhone. I also have an app for RT News. I check both periodically. 

I find it curious that so many US news media people can be so easily hoodwinked into believing the liberal bullsheet that they publish. Do they think the rest of us are also that dense?   B)
    I wish I could remember the exact circumstance, or where I read it, maybe Reader's Digest many years ago, but I recall an article concerning some Russian visitors to the U.S., official types, who commented that they were really impressed with the way that the U.S. media carried whatever nonsense was put out by Washington.  They said that with all their repressive measures, and authoritarian controls, they couldn't get the Pravda so well in line as the U.S. media was.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    President Trump invited the Pope for lunch on his mega yacht, the Pope
       accepted and during lunch, a puff of wind blew the Pontiff's
       hat off, right into the water.

It floated off about 50 feet, then the wind died down and it just floated in place.

The crew and the secret service were scrambling to launch a boat to go get
       it, when Trump waved them off, saying "Never mind, boys, I'll get it."

The Donald climbed over the side of the yacht, walked on the water to the hat,
       picked it up, walked back on the water, climbed into the yacht, and handed the Pope his hat.

The crew was speechless. The security team and the Pope's entourage were speechless.

No one knew what to say, not even the Pope.

But that afternoon, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, CNN reported:

"TRUMP CAN'T SWIM!"--    

They say never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.  Trump has now walked his mile in Obama's shoes.  It doesn't matter what he does, good or bad, there will be someone who delights in finding the fault in it. 

He may have it worse, though, as some of the largest and loudest voices, that couldn't seem to figure out what Obama was doing wrong, can't stop figuring out what Trump's doing wrong.

I think the press is drunk with the power of taking down public figures.  They don't care the outcome.  They're just burning witches and torturing heretics, all for your own good, y'know?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was working overseas I got my news from Reuters since they seemed to have an international perspective but lately they, along with BBC, have seemed to take a much more liberal perspective. When Reuters headlines last week was a couple had divorced after 23 years of marriage because of Trump I drew the line. Is that news or propaganda?
    A little dirt never hurt

I think the press is drunk with the power of taking down public figures.  They don't care the outcome.  They're just burning witches and torturing heretics, all for your own good, y'know?
    In a way, I'd agree.  But think it's a mistake to say they don't care the outcome.  You look at all the free passes they give D's and their mistakes/illegal activities, and how they absolutely skewer the R's for much more minor things.  All you have to do is look who owns and operates the vast, vast majority of the media.

dirtdude said:
    When I was working overseas I got my news from Reuters since they seemed to have an international perspective but lately they, along with BBC, have seemed to take a much more liberal perspective. When Reuters headlines last week was a couple had divorced after 23 years of marriage because of Trump I drew the line. Is that news or propaganda?
    I watch the NPR News Hour and some BBC too, and realize a big part of their bias is simply selecting the stories they cover and ignoring the ones that don't fit their bias.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It, of course, isn't mandatory, but is sort of expected from Presidential Candidates and Presidents themselves. The practice dates back to Nixon. In this case it would likely be helpful in identifying any possible conflicts of interest. 45's are particularly interesting considering he confirmed in the debates that he hasn't paid any Federal tax. Additionally, 45's insistence that the previous President release his birth certificate makes him look like a bit of a hypocrite. 

Tax returns for every President since Nixon have been compiled here along with other candidates, VPs, etc... http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mediaringtrump
    pelirrojo said:
    It, of course, isn't mandatory, but is sort of expected from Presidential Candidates and Presidents themselves. The practice dates back to Nixon. In this case it would likely be helpful in identifying any possible conflicts of interest. 45's are particularly interesting considering he confirmed in the debates that he hasn't paid any Federal tax. Additionally, 45's insistence that the previous President release his birth certificate makes him look like a bit of a hypocrite. 

Tax returns for every President since Nixon have been compiled here along with other candidates, VPs, etc... http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns
    Except that releasing tax forms isn't a requirement to be POTUS, as being a natural-born citizen is.

And why should they be released?  The tax returns are filed with the IRS, yes?  If there's a conflict of interest, and it's illegal, the IRS will find it.  If it's not illegal, screw it.  As much as the IRS has made life difficult for R's, if there was an issue it'd be front and center by now.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be illegal for the IRS to leak that info
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    It would be illegal for the IRS to leak that info
    Wouldn't the arrest give it away?

edited February 2017
    @pelirrojo
    You can't use his name.
    Is it kind of like invoking the devil?
    Sorry, just found that hilarious.

He who shall not be named. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    How many times does 45 go into 666?   Oh No!

As I said Peter, I am aware it is not mandatory to release taxes, simply a social norm to which every President for the last 40+ years has adhered. 

If you're interested here are many instances prior to June 28, 2016 where 45 mentions releasing his tax returns. By the way, several of which suggest that he would release his taxes when Obama released his birth certificate. See... hypocrisy. 

http://www.nationalmemo.com/showusyourtaxes-heres-every-time-donald-trump-has-said-he-would-release-his-tax-returns/

I guess that makes him a liar and a hypocrite, at the very least not a man of his word. Seems like more people would have figured that out by now. 

We(all of us) deserve a transparent administration. If you expect 45 to so much as lift a finger without being scrutinized, you aren't going to have a very good time over the next few years. How any of this is surprising to any of you after the way the last 8 years has transpired is unbelievable. 
    @0patience

Considering we've dealt with years of Obummer, monkey, killary, shrillary, etc... 45 ain't bad. I'm rather fond of Cheeto Mussolini myself. 
    pelirrojo said:
    @0patience

Considering we've dealt with years of Obummer, monkey, killary, shrillary, etc... 45 ain't bad. I'm rather fond of Cheeto Mussolini myself. 
    LOL! Very true.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo said:
    As I said Peter, I am aware it is not mandatory to release taxes, simply a social norm to which every President for the last 40+ years has adhered. 

If you're interested here are many instances prior to June 28, 2016 where 45 mentions releasing his tax returns. By the way, several of which suggest that he would release his taxes when Obama released his birth certificate. See... hypocrisy. 

http://www.nationalmemo.com/showusyourtaxes-heres-every-time-donald-trump-has-said-he-would-release-his-tax-returns/

I guess that makes him a liar and a hypocrite, at the very least not a man of his word. Seems like more people would have figured that out by now. 

We(all of us) deserve a transparent administration. If you expect 45 to so much as lift a finger without being scrutinized, you aren't going to have a very good time over the next few years. How any of this is surprising to any of you after the way the last 8 years has transpired is unbelievable. 

Lets get this straight:  It is not mandatory for anyone to release their tax information.

Mr. now President Trump's tax records are undergoing an audit by the IRS. As he has stated and the IRS stated, it is illegal to release his tax information at this time.

President Trump stated long ago that the tax laws are goofy as that when his accountants are done taking all of his legal deductions, most years his secretary pays more taxes than he does.

This is nothing but the left sided media causing trouble everywhere it can.  I for one have become so disgusted with the American media that I do not even watch anything but the local news anymore.  If I want to know what is happening Nationally or Internationally I watch another Nations news as there are a couple that learn, research and report facts.  I for one am ashamed of what the media has turned our Nation into.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    As far as an Audit, please show me the law that says he cannot release his return while an audit is ongoing. The IRS cannot stop anyone from releasing their information. I think this is complete BS. Please show me something that I am not aware of.

I can assume the major problem would be the scrutiny that would occur in finding flaws on his taxes from people outside of the IRS while an audit is ongoing. I would also imagine his so called legal beagle's would advise him not to release as well for this reason alone. Regardless I doubt they will ever be released even though he did say he would once complete. Now that he is the POTUS it isn't gonna happen. 

I think many are missing the big picture here. This guy is the POTUS. He can move markets, shake currency values and influence stock prices by what he says, does or writes in one of his stupid tweets. The financial gain for friends, family members and others could be massive. Not saying this is happening but it is very possible. Look at Boeings stock drop from his words alone weeks ago. It dropped 1.4 %  instantly after his tweet. It has since recovered but that is the power this man has now. He has or had investments World Wide to include his family members etc. He has or had interest in over 500 entities world wide. To some they may not care, but you should. 

I do find it funny that everyone is talking about how the media is bias and tells only fake news. How anyone can say that with a straight face while this man spews hocus pocus stories and false hoods is beyond me. But we gotta believe something I guess. 

I am only 51 but I have never seen a sitting President (Carter on for my memory) twist facts like this ever. Please explain to me how 3-5 million people voted illegally as he has claimed. This is a flat out lie. What I do find ironic is that the number is there for a reason. The laundry list of false hoods is long. If he just stayed on course with Policy and promises it would and could be a different story. It isn't gonna happen though. 

If your gonna call one side of the room a liar you should call out the other side as well. Take politics out of it, this becomes a trust issue for me with anyone that spews lies etc. Media or Mr. Twitter.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two words....... Creative Accounting. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    If we were to impeach, bar or force resignation every politician who has investments, we'd have half the politicians.
    And most have been in front of the ethics committee for one thing or another and often pay hefty fines and go on about their business.

Nixon was probably the best at twisting the facts and half the country loved him, up until watergate. And even then, his ratings still held fairly well. 

Carter banned Iranian citizens from entering the US or immigarting to the US under the same immigration law as Trump is attempting. 
    No one contested it.

Trump is a pompus ass, but he was elected. 

There are state governor's who are defying everything from DC. Oregon's is right there on that list and they are jeapordizing federal dollars for their states, with no regard for the people living there. All they care about is not losing immigrants.

No legal immigrants in my area have even been bothered, even though ICE has been making raids.
    And by the way, there are less this year than there have been in the past couple years.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opatience said that so well.

As for taxes: if your attorney tells you to keep your mouth shut, that is what you do.

Now I am heading back to cigars
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the devil is in the details.
    What is it he doesn't want us to see?

If he's so honest why not release them?

I remember when Mitt Romney's father was asked to release 12 years of his returns.  He released 20 years of them.
    I was impressed, he paid quite a large sum in taxes.
    That man was honest almost to a fault.

The only reason to refuse, is he has something to hide.

This is like Obamas birth certificate.
    Really a non issue, but why not show us if he has nothing to hide like he said?
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.