Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Recycling Mice

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
We live in the woods. We have neighbors but we can't see them and only hear them when they are shooting. Lots of critters move through our woods and we see deer, turkeys, black bears, squirrels, grouse, hawks,and rabbits on a regular basis. We found we had a problem in the house with mice about a week ago. I don't make it a practice to kill critters unless I am going to eat them so I have several Hav a Heart live traps.  I set the small one and baited it with peanut butter. Caught the first mouse and took it about fifty yards along a ridge and released it. The next day I had another mouse and released it in the same place. Had another mouse the next day and took it up the hill to my studio and released it. After the forth day with a mouse in the trap we figured they were just following me back the house and coming back in. My other Lucy then took over the mouse releasing and after driving 1/4 mile for four days in a row to take the mice out of our woods the mice problem as finally gone away. For a while there I was going to color the mice tails with a marker to see if we were just recycling mice. I think the little beady eyed fur bags had me going for a while there.

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. I had a mouse plaguing me that would not go into any trap. I'm less disposed against killing critters, so I finally managed to get him with a blow dart. I was pretty proud of myself.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recycle them--the crows are mighty appreciative. Living in a hot spot for tick borne diseases I give them no quarter.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use to have all kinds of mice on the property and in the house, especially after we moved in after the tornado ate the old house. Watched them climb out of my boots and run up and down the hallway playing tag. Being in the country bugs of all kinds inhabit everything but the mice feasted. Then we got 2 cats, mice didn't stand a chance. The cats even chased out an 8 foot King Snake that had been living under the kitchen island, he was fat from eating mice. Haven't seen a mouse in the house for some time now.
    There are however 100s at night around the rescued turkeys and chicken enclosures. The wolves won't come on the property because of the dogs, so their no help. 2 of the little dogs have reverted to ancient ways and are getting chubby with mice in their belly's.
    Looking at a couple of multiple catch traps. I guess we will try re-cycling the little buggers. Warming up and the population is going to explode.
    The predator birds are of no help anymore. We got 2 of the biggest dogs we have ever had (still puppies) and they will not let the birds anywhere near our rescues.
    Anyone have a good recipe?
  • Options
    Ever read "Never Cry Wolf" by Farley Mowat? 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Use to have all kinds of mice on the property and in the house, especially after we moved in after the tornado ate the old house. Watched them climb out of my boots and run up and down the hallway playing tag. Being in the country bugs of all kinds inhabit everything but the mice feasted. Then we got 2 cats, mice didn't stand a chance. The cats even chased out an 8 foot King Snake that had been living under the kitchen island, he was fat from eating mice. Haven't seen a mouse in the house for some time now.
    There are however 100s at night around the rescued turkeys and chicken enclosures. The wolves won't come on the property because of the dogs, so their no help. 2 of the little dogs have reverted to ancient ways and are getting chubby with mice in their belly's.
    Looking at a couple of multiple catch traps. I guess we will try re-cycling the little buggers. Warming up and the population is going to explode.
    The predator birds are of no help anymore. We got 2 of the biggest dogs we have ever had (still puppies) and they will not let the birds anywhere near our rescues.
    Anyone have a good recipe?
    A recipe for mice?  Or predator birds?  ?????   :p
  • Options