Home General Discussion

Use of small refrigerator as humidor

I have a small refrigerator that I want to use to store unopened boxes of cigars (also some bundles), do I need to do anything to it other than maintaining the humidity and temperature? Any ideas?

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your environment.  You'd be wise to never turn it on, so if you are in a place where it'll get above 73*, it's no bueno.

I have a dorm fridge in my basement and it's full of boxes, and I use some kitty litter beads to keep the humidity in a good range.  If the seal is good on your unit, and you can keep the temps down without plugging it in, it'll work just like a cooler.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • DavidOlivaDavidOliva Posts: 8
    I just plan to use it as a cooler in the basement. Do you know if the air needs to be circuted or is it fine just opening it every two weeks or so.
    In my opinion, it won't matter in such a small contained space.  It depends on who you ask, but I say humidity in there will seek it's own level, and there's no real need to let the cigar air out and basement air in.
    Great, thanks for your help.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For something of that size I feel fans are not necessary, if you are concerned about air exchange just "slam" the door closed every so often.  That will do the trick.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Sound good thanks.
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

I use a dorm fridge with Boveda packs for a humidor. Its in my den and it maintains temperature pretty well. I love it and so far I haven't outgrown it. I open the door and check the RH about once a week. If Im smoking more often I don't bother because there is an air exchange every time I open the door. It holds 65%RH perfectly and all my stogies seem happy in there.

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this idea. Thanks for your feedback.

I put in some pieces of Spanish cedar because I had them. This is an old pic but yOu get the idea.

Roland
    That's a great idea, thanks
     I don't know if my has any Spanish Cedar in it...  mainly because I don't know if any of these boxes are made out of it.  :)

It looks like you need (like in jaws) a bigger frig.
    That's beautiful, man...........

Roland