Home Cigar 101

Seasoning help!!

JoFreeJoFree Posts: 3
I recently purchased the Baccus 200ct humidor. I am trying to get it seasoned and I have a few questions. I have 8 of the Boveda 84% Seasoning packets in there (2 on each shelf and 2 on the top) and they have been in there since Friday (4 days). The RH inside of the humidor is holding steady at 75% for 3 days straight. 

My first question is, how do I know when the seasoning is complete? Is there a certain percentage that it should stay for a certain time

My second question is, will it make it quicker if I add a rectangle humidifier in there to help add more humidity? Will that speed it up?

Thank you in advance cigar fam!

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will know it's ready when it holds steady at 84% since thats the bovedas that are in there. Do not add any other humidification. Just seal it up and let it sit. Should take closer to 2 weeks than 4 days.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • JoFreeJoFree Posts: 3
    You don't think that a little more humidification would speed things up some? Im hoping to have it done by friday because I'm going out of town for three weeks and I'd like to be able to combine my cigars into one humidor and out of a bunch of small ones. I also don't want to over season.
    Pouring a glass of water into it would speed it up, but it's not recommended. Take it slow and allow the wood to draw in humidity at a natural pace, and you will have a lot less issues in the future.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    You can let it season for the time your gone. Bovedas won't cause any issues there. just put your sticks into a gallon ziplock and you'll be fine.

• jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ sound advice 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep what Wylaff said. Let the wood work at its own pace. You don't want mold. But to me 75 is good if it's been holding at that. I never understood the 84 myself. If my humi ever read 84 I'd crap on myself. 
    84 to season is so it stabilizes quickly when you toss the sticks in.

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

They say patience is a virtue, and this could not be more true when seasoning a humidor. Give it the time it needs and you will NOT be disappointed with the results.

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    Yep what Wylaff said. Let the wood work at its own pace. You don't want mold. But to me 75 is good if it's been holding at that. I never understood the 84 myself. If my humi ever read 84 I'd crap on myself. 

I know the number seems a bit high but it worked for me, albeit it was a 40ct humidor. After 2 weeks I put about 30 sticks in there and it leveled out at 70% and held nicely. I use 65% in my fridgeador now so its a moot point for me.

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland