Home Cigar 101

Glass tube

MrDaveMrDave Posts: 1
Given a box of cigars as a gift, cigars are all sealed in glass tube. Have some tin tubes in wineadore I unscrew caps. What's your thaught on glass tube pop the corks on all?

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I do, out of paranoia of mold.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I do with them;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZJOA3ewa8s

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought there was something a bit strange about ya, Peter. Now I know what it is.....   :p
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big problem with metal tubos is that you cannot see the mold if it happens. With glass you can, of course, see if there is a problem. So, I typically just leave glass tubes corked.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping in mind that I teach Criminal Justice, not science, if the air in the humidor is the correct relative humidity, why does mold form inside a sealed tube?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm only guessing but maybe the humidity in the air condenses on the glass providing the necessary water for mold to grow on the organic tobacco leaves touching the glass.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a science standpoint, glass is non porous, so it is far more resistant to mold, than metal. It can grow on glass, but it would be the last thing to accept the mold. 

Which is why a lot of folks remove that caps on metal tubes and don't bother glass tubes. I have a some Partagas 150 and 160s that are in glass tubes and never have seen any indication of mold, nor had any that I opened have a problem.

Ever wonder why petri dishes have to have a substrate for the mold to multiply and it only grows on the substrate and not the glass?

Metal tubes, on the other hand, I've had a few problems.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it also possible that mold spores existed in the tobacco before it ever became a cigar?  
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I was gifted some expensive cigars by a very nice guy on this forum. In metal tubes and an unopened box. Opened the box, put them in my aging humidor for 6 months (at least). First one I took out had massive mold. With no choice I opened the rest, half were moldy. The mold wiped off and into a small humidor by themselves they went. Another 6 months and not a bit of mold re-appeared. Very nice smokes, just smoked the last one about 3 or 4 months ago. (See, I do smoke something other the 5 Vegas Gold) B)
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Isn't it also possible that mold spores existed in the tobacco before it ever became a cigar?  
    I have often wondered about this. It kind of points to how well the cedar does it's job. I save all the cedar cutouts that come with some cigars and use them to ship cigars.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to take the cigars out of the metal tubes, take one of the corn-on-the-cob holders with the two sharp prongs and punch a bunch of holes in them and use them, fill them with humidity beads and use them as humidifiers when I'm traveling or transporting cigars.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to take the cigars out of the glass tubes, light the cigar, fill the tube with rum, and slip it in my jacket pocket before I walk the dogs.
    And that's how the pros do it.