Home Cigar 101

An introduction..

Hawk83Hawk83 Posts: 18 ✭✭
Hello everyone! New to the forums and just wanted to take a minute and say hi with a little about myself. My name is Jeremy, born and raised a bit south of Rochester NY but now I do live in the city of Rochester. Did an 8 year tour in the Navy, was a Corpsman 8404 with the Marines. Now I'm a woodworker. Hobbies are of course cigars, and golf. Only have been smoking cigars for 2 years now but there is just nothing finer than a great cigar with a good whiskey, scotch, or bourbon. I like sports, mainly hockey (St Louis Blues) and football (Eagles). I wont bore you to much, just wanted to say hi and thanks for having me!

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, nice to meet you Jeremy. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome  Jeremy, thank you for your service. 
    Not another blues fan  ;)
    Non Crux sed lux
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @Hawk83
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Jeremy.

I think @Diver43 was from around those parts too.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jeremy, thanks for your service, had a brother that lived in Rochester a few years back
    A little dirt never hurt
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Welcome Jeremy thanks for your service 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and thank you for your service.  When we lived up north, my son went to RIT.  at the time, I was smoking gas station cigars and my son brought home a man made cigar from a B & M in Rochester... and the rest is history.

By the way, my standard advice, get a bigger humidor (or in your case, build a bigger one) and get a second job.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and thank you for your service and sacrifices! 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was younger, I was often shot by Corpsman. Welcome Jeremy.
  • Hawk83Hawk83 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome.

@johnnyB haha, got to love the blues
    @peter4jc Yes he threw me a small note last night and has family not far from my area.
    @dirtdude I lived out in California for a few years after the military and loved every minute of it, so much to do out west and the weather cant be beat. Eventually got dragged back here.
    @yankeeMan One of my current projects I'm working on a 200 cigar humi. Being my first humi I've attempted to build its slow and steady. haha in the summers I do some roofing and a little stone work on the side. 
    Thanks @Bob_Luken! All my Marines loved their shots and blood work! Ok, not really but they pretended they did haha. Thank you for your service Bob
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawk83 said:
    Thanks @Bob_Luken! All my Marines loved their shots and blood work! Ok, not really but they pretended they did haha. Thank you for your service Bob
    And thank you as well for your service my friend. Here's a little something I remember from all the way back in boot camp. A Corpsman told me to hold a vial of penicillin when I was about to get a shot. There were several sevicemen waiting there for treatment and I just assumed that this was his way of keeping track of who got which shot, but there was a different reason. He explained that the penicillin was a thick liquid that had to be stored cold but, just by warming the penicillin to body temperature before I got the shot, it wouldn't be nearly as painful. Now, I'd had penicillin before and they had hurt plenty. He was right. Almost painless compared to cold penicillin. I was happy. And through the years, I taught this little trick to a few civilian nurses who were in too much of a hurry,..... about to rush some cold penicillin into my, uh...... system. LOL
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jeremy.  I was in the Navy too, an I Level AT here in Jacksonville and aboard the Harry S. Truman.  It's pretty much what I still do today.  

There's a good group of fellows here.  I hope you enjoy yourself.  
    @Bob_Luken we always called that penicillin shot the peanut butter shot haha. it just feels like getting a thick lump injected in to you. Yes you are 1000% correct, body temp or near that makes that way better than right out of the fridge temp.

@clearlysuspect thank you for your service, always heard good things about the Truman. My best friend I met in boot camp was an AT and he loved every min of it. 

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Jeremy, good group of serious cigar connoisseurs here.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Thanks @TX98Z28, that is great, I'm always looking for great cigar advice.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Hawk83 said:

@clearlysuspect thank you for your service, always heard good things about the Truman. My best friend I met in boot camp was an AT and he loved every min of it. 

The Truman was pretty awesome.  When I was aboard it was only 5 years old, a great age, everything still pretty new but all the kinks worked out.  The galley was pretty amazing, better than NAS Jax or Oceana's (by far!!!), and it had an awesome little library where I spent most of my time.

Where were you stationed???

• NikoTseNikoTse Posts: 1
    Hey everyone.  I just recently got my hands on some behike 56.  So exciting. Was curious what everyone thinks about storage. Should I place them in a completely separate humidor from my other sticks?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have good storage I dont think they care if they are laying next to royalty or dog rockets.
    A little dirt never hurt
    Hawk83 said:

The Truman was pretty awesome.  When I was aboard it was only 5 years old, a great age, everything still pretty new but all the kinks worked out.  The galley was pretty amazing, better than NAS Jax or Oceana's (by far!!!), and it had an awesome little library where I spent most of my time.

Where were you stationed???

Most of my days state side were spent at Camp Lejeune with 2nd Mar Div. in my early corpsman days I did 6 months of work ups with VFA 125 on the Carl Vinson. Also had about a year at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth VA. Lived out near NAS Oceana during my time in VA.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Doc Jeremy. I was a grunt with 1/9 in Vietnam and we called our corpsmen "Doc". I hope you hang around as there are some pretty nice folks here.
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome sir, and thank you for your service!(and thank you for the IV's you gabe to hungover marines
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Thanks for your service...oh and Let's Go Blues!!! 
    @First_Warrior @Jay6 @bert873, Thanks guys! Its a pleasure to be here.
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome brother and thank you for your service I also dabble in woodworking I just got a power flex tool to do power carving