Home Cigar 101
Options

Calling the Capt.

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Capt., if you would be so kind, could you explain the idea behind low humidity aging? Namely, why is a lower humidity more ideal for the aging process, or is it? I noticed you mention this a couple of times, and my curiosity is piqued.

Since you mentioned separating fact from fiction in regards to proper cigar storage and aging, I've been on a bit of a fact finding mission of my own to figure out what I thought I knew that might be more fiction than fact, and long story short, it seems that I know about as little as I assumed I did, well actually less than that.

Joe

Comments

• Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Joe, thanks for the great question. I am on my way to work in a few minutes, I will try to sit down at lunch time and write you and answer.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    funny, I always was told that the best temp/RH was 70/70.
    I always kept my humidors at 65%. i assumed that the slightly lower RH would age them more slowly, but that didnt matter because i wasnt aging anything. When i started an "aging humidor" i had a bunch of 65% beads that i wasnt using at the time so i just used them because i was far to lazy to get different ones. I found out later that 65% is better than 70% RH and i was pleased.

i never did know why though.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    This kind of makes sense in respects to some leaves are stronger than others. I would think the stonger the cigar the longer you can age it and at a higher rh. But if you are aging different cigars keeping it lower overall you can age all cigars in one place. Plus I would think aging slower and longer would be better.
    Just a shot in the dark...
  • Options
    Ok, I hope I have enough time to covey to you what I am trying to say. First off, let me start by saying this is information I have gathered from friends of other boards, major collectors in Hong Kong and Europe, and my own conclusions. Do whatever works for YOU! Second, when I age cigars for long term storage, I give a 5% range. I say between 60-65%. This is because it is hard for any storage "facility" to not fluctuate. The humidifier triggers around 60%, but it continues to run until it hits the target RH. A few reasons I keep my humidity low for aging. It had been proven in studies that mold forms around 82% humidity. This test was conducted by Mr. Michael Prete (owner of Humatic humidifying Soutions). So, I keep mine at a lower RH during storage since I am not opening the box, there is no way to tell me if mold is forming. I don't have to worry. Also a lower RH helps keep the draw more loose. Alot of cigars I collect to age are notorious to have a tight draw, if you get my drift. The lower humidity, the less in the cigar, the less it will swell from the moisture. I have some more info saved on my computer at home, so I will be sure to add to this thread when I get back home.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for that Capt. Through some reading I was doing and my experience thus far, it would appear to me that cigars are perhaps not quite as fragile as some would have us believe they are. When I got my first humidor, I was nuts about trying to keep that perfect 70/70 because I had been under the impression that anything else would ruin to cigars. It seems there are too many 70/70 zealots out there that get new smokers buying into the same hype I did. Well, like they say, Live and learn.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Cool, thanks for that Capt. Through some reading I was doing and my experience thus far, it would appear to me that cigars are perhaps not quite as fragile as some would have us believe they are. When I got my first humidor, I was nuts about trying to keep that perfect 70/70 because I had been under the impression that anything else would ruin to cigars. It seems there are too many 70/70 zealots out there that get new smokers buying into the same hype I did. Well, like they say, Live and learn.
    We are all there in the beginning. I remeber I'd open my desktop every 10 minutes to see what was going on. I have 4 big desktops now, and none of them even have hygrometers in them. Of course, these are everyday singles that I plan on smoking within 5 years. I do however have 2 hygrometers in the big buiilt in, but that can easily fluctuate with the change of seasons. I hope my post answered at least some of your questions, but like I said, I do have some more info on my computer at home, just not here at work. Ryan
  • Options
    You answered my questions pretty well Ryan. I'm just trying to figure out a good starting point with all this. I'm sure its not as complicated as I want to make it, and getting good info from reliable sources helps make it easier. Thanks for taking the time, I do appreciate it.

Joe
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This may have been answered/asked before, but you said we all were there in the beginning... Well sir, when WAS your beginning? You have a walk in humidor and allot of premium cigars... but when did the Capt. start out as a BOTL
  • Options
    I managed to gather 4 desktops, and the built in with the cigars in about 7 years. I started smoking about 8 years ago. Mind you, I would have an even bigger collection by now, but I had to sell about 20 boxes of cigars when I was going through my divorce. I still have quite a few, but I sold alot of rare stuff. I will get back there soon. That's why I hope you guys can all attend the sit-down here in September. Anyone from the forum who has never been will receive an OpusX of their choice if you attend. Pick from any ones you want, except the Opus A's and the Chili Peppers....lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    an opusX of choice.... thats one heck of a prize.
  • Options
    wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
    What sit down? When and where?
  • Options
    I'm looking into that one Capt. Although the car ferry across Lake Michigan is allot more expensive than I previously thought... I'll be mapping it out and hopefully the gas won't be too extreme. The Girlfiend wants to make a weekend out of it in Michigan... so We'll see
  • Options
    wilbr11:
    What sit down? When and where?

Search under the threads for Midwest Sit-Down and you'll find it, but roughly it's
    September 5th
    45 Minutes West of Detroit