Home Cigar 101

Purchased a used humidor

ffemt89ffemt89 Posts: 6
hey all, newb to the cigar world here. I recently got back from Mexico and bought so fake Romeo Y Julietta's on the beach thinking they were legit but that's besides the point.

I got back to the states and reached out to a guy who I know smoked cigars and asked him if he had any tips for keeping them fresh without a humidor and he basically gave me his for nothing with 30 cigars in it already.

They're all extremely dry and I don't think it had been cared for in some time, I bought a cigar oasis excel and it should be here next week. Question is should I even keep the cigars he had in there in hopes they'll recover or should I just ditch them and clear out space in the humidor? It's holding at 57% RH right now according to the xikar hygrometer he had in it. should I re condition the humidor? Sorry for the long post but any help would be great!

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have doubts just go ahead and reseason it. How big is it to get an oasis in there? 
  • ffemt89ffemt89 Posts: 6
    It's a 50 count but I bought the bigger one for when I enevitably upgrade to a bigger humidor. 
    edited March 2017
     :D Go ahead and buy one 3 to 4 times what you think you will need so you're not buying multiple humidors . I just got a cooler today to use so I can organize better than the tupperdor I use for overflow. I filled the hundred count humidor in no time. 
    I'm realizing that now! I'm probably going to switch all the sticks to a tupperdor once the Bovada packs get here and try and resealing the humidor. Do you think the cigar oasis if I put it in there as is would passively reseason the humidor since it is an active humidification instead of passive? Also any advice on the dry cigars? No cracked wrappers but they're all super hard 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would slowly re-humidify the cigars to see if they're smokable.  Let them sit for quite a while.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Any way to tell if they're smokeable without just lighting them up? There is a 5 pack of Padron 1926's in there so I'm hoping they're salvageable 
    That may work. I'm sure others will chime in. As for the cigars you can try to raise the humidity slowly back to 70% but the flavors come from the oils in the tobacco. If the oils are gone they are going to taste horrible.
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated 
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Try it you have nothing to lose!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    I would slowly re-humidify the cigars to see if they're smokable.  Let them sit for quite a while.
    Quite a while meaning probably 6 months or more.  I've done it, it was worth it.  Just put them carefully in your re-seasoned humidor, and buy other cigars to smoke for 6 - 12 months.  Seems a little crazy now, but it won't in the long run.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Do a dollar bill test to see if the humidor is sealing properly . Open the box and lay a dollar bill on the lip and close the top. If the bill pulls out you are not getting a good seal. Should be able to drag the box a bit. I had a humidor that did't pass the test till I lined the top edge of the lid with tape.
    P.S.If you use a $100 bill for the test sign it and send it to me and I'll check it for thickness.
    I used masking tape around the top lip of my old world.
    Thanks for the seal test info, I'll check it when I get home tomorrow. For now I bought some tupperware and my boveda packs will be here tomorrow so I'm going to go the tupperdore route until I figure out the humidor and can season it properly. I jumped the gun and bought a 5 pack that came in today that I'm going to have to get in there first thing in the morning  :|
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point you should now proceed to the General Discussion section and find a thread titled C.A.S. is real...

;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain