Home Non Cigar Related

Watch your bank accounts

rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
2 weeks ago someone stole my debit card info and tried to hack into my account.  Luckily my bank caught it and shut the card down before any damage was done.  Today I get a letter in the mail from Atlantic cigars saying that their third party vendor who handles processing was breached.  Could be someone else using the same processing company, but watch your accounts if you have used Atlantic with a current card.  

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I as well got that letter.  Fortunately I have not ordered form them in a long time and my info is no longer current.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My card number got hacked/stolen a few times now. I now have a debit card that i keep a very small balance on and transfer the needed amount for online purchases
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup got the same letter
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I as well received the letter. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary as of yet. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I didn't receive a letter, but when I went to the site to see if I had an account set up with them, my CAS threatened to kick up and put me at risk, I barely escaped the site unscathed.  They were playing right to my weakness with a La Zona special on the front page. 
    Post edited by Yakster on
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged in. Under My Account / Manage My Account I didn't find any place to edit or view what card they have on file. Where is it?

Last order was a couple years back, so that would most likely be an old card. Had to have a new one issued when the bank stopped my card cause someone spent like 600 bucks at I forget what woman's store and another 800 at Magnovox, of all things. I believe it was stolen along the way when I was riding the Moto Guzzi back from Rutland, cause the store was up there.

On my little peanut sized cigar sites, we simply do not capture any card data period. Even regular call in customers, I jot the card # down, do the charge, then shred the thing. It's just not worth keeping it. Upstream, I have no idea.

Oddest theft we had was when Bearswatter's card got filched at the Mall. Gal that filched it went straight to her day care and paid her bill. Cops knew within days who stole it ... would not do a thing about it. I don't know how to feel about that. Bought groceries, Christmas toys, and paid her day care. Sad.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the reason I only use prepaid cards for internet purchases.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @0patience, Smart decision         
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been hacked a few times now. I only buy from sites that take PayPal now. A little extra security.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta say, the way Atlantic handled this was classy AF. Paying for a years ID protection for anyone that may have been affected is a good move.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked my accounts, all is good. Never save your card info on an online account for online retailers, just not worth it. I always manually type it in. PayPal can get hacked just like the rest, if it's out there they can get it. Heck they can get it even if you manually type it in. Cash is always best, but not practical with shopping online.   
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manually typing it in won't save you either.  They hacked the processing company, so I think there were 40 online retailers who used this company to process payments.  It is not Atlantic's fault at all, and they did offer a year free protection service.  
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got the notice in the mail.
    They are signing everyone up, who's info was affected, on a 1 year Identity protection.

Since I use prepaid Visa cards and the one I used during the time they had a problem was all used up, I'm not that concerned.
    I rarely ever buy one for much more than I figure on using.

But I do appreciate that they are stepping up and taking responsibility.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    If anybody is using a Bank of America credit card, they have a feature on their website called ShopSafe where they issue you one-time use credit card numbers that are good for the dollar amount you enter for the time period you enter.  I use those for smaller sites.