Home Non Cigar Related

Carving/Woodworking

arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
I thought I would make a place so we all could show what carving and woodworking we are all up to.
Post up your work for all to see and give your opinion both good and bad we can't learn what we are doing wrong if everybody just says oh that looks great we need to have our work criticized so we learn what we are doing wrong.

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Granite, or bone?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Opus X, Behike?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Sneaky Series bowl curly maple with carved legs 18" dia
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes those too I want to do some carving in bone too :) 
    Beautiful bowls @First_Warrior is the women a fairy?
    This one I also did a year ago with hand carving tools it a carving in the round

Now this is a new holder for the power carver I just got done with

edited March 2017
    And this is to hold the handle of the power carver you can see it in the lasr picture

arch72 said:
    She is the daughter of a friend. Had to have something for scale in the pict. The bowl was a commission and is made of a 3500 lb birch burl.It tookme a year to complete.
    5' 10" long 4'6" wide and 3' 11" deep.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    arch72 said:
    She is the daughter of a friend. Had to have something for scale in the pict. The bowl was a commission and is made of a 3500 lb birch burl.It tookme a year to complete.

That's a lot of corn flakes!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

arch72 said:
    wow and here I was thinking it was photoshopped lol
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mighty impressive!
    But getting a burl that large is a story in itself. From where? How?
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made some toothpick blocks once.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried woodworking, but it doesn't weld so good.  :D
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall whether I've posted this one before in some other thread but it's a display case I made for my stepson to show off three antique post office box doors that he acquired over his years of working for the post office. 

I made the inner case of cherry from a tree I had to remove from my yard. I then laminated the inlay work to the outside of the case. The inlay is redwood with stripes of black-dyed pear wood and poplar. 

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/jlmarta/media/null_zps45029347.jpg.html
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talented and handsome! @jlmarta
    Thank you, Charlie. Nice of you to say so....

I can't compete with Rodger @First_Warrior, but I enjoyed all my time in the shop. 
    @jimarta Your work is really nice. I can't do jointery worth a hoot. You have great skills and your work shows them. 
    Mighty impressive!
    But getting a burl that large is a story in itself. From where? How?
    The burl is from Grandfather Mt NC. It was from a tree that had to be cut to put in a road. It was a commission for a gift from one oil man to Hugh Morton who owned most of the Grandfather. I was taken to the tree and asked if i could make a bowl out of the burl 35 up on the trunk. I  said yes and a year later completed to project. I don't want to do another.
    Every time I see that burl/bowl I'm amazed. You are one dedicated guy, Rodger @First_Warrior..... 
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, so if I have a giant bowl, naked women will show up in it?? What is your paypal @First_Warrior??
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodger and Marty those are some impressive pieces and absolutely gorgeous!

Archy I like you're pieces too, takes a lot of effort to start and learn it, way more than I could ever carve!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    edited March 2017
    Carving is out of my league. I think I'm just spatially challenged or something. 

One of the most impressive pieces of work that I recall seeing is a carving by a Native American from one of the Northwest tribes. It's a disc ( probably of a variety of cedar) and carved into that disc is a stylized image of Raven with a salmon in its beak. I liked that piece so much that for years I used a photo of it as the wallpaper on my computer monitor. 

I think this link may get you to a photo of it:

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/jlmarta/Indian Carving wallpaper.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    edited March 2017
    Nope. It didn't work. And for some reason, I can't edit out what I think the problem is. 

If if you want to try, just enter everything but the [IMG][/URL] at the end and try that. For some reason, it's really difficult for me to retrieve photos I've saved in Photobucket ....

OOPS!!  It DID work!  Summagun..... 
    Great work brothers nice to see others work keep them coming I enjoy checking them out I won't be able to do much work in the shop in the next couple of days I had to move a queen sofa bed by myself and I pulled or tore something on my right side so I am down for now
    Ouch!!  Those things are heavy. I know from experience. 
    yeah I tried to get some help with it but my family sucks and don't give a poop lol
    Well I finally got back to carving here is the start of an ostrich egg each pic is a different sidedifferent side