Home General Discussion
Options

Kinda regarding todays daily deal...

How often do you guys reach your spending limit... then toss that out the window when a deal like todays comes up? Meaning. OK, thats it, ive spent enough money this month... then.. damnit... this deal it too good... its only another 25$. LOL.

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sucks sometimes.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there is a thread on a different forum that talks all about this. this is not my idea.

i will give you some of the highlights...

"PLEASE keep in mind that cigars are a hobby and should be BUDGETED for and is SOLELY based on disposable income. You SHOULD NOT be "investing" in cigars - they are a consumable that are susceptible to damage (fire, water, improper storage, beetles, theft, etc...).

People talk about a "cigar budget" and we all laugh when we blow that budget. But like any other aspect of your life, you REALLY should have a "cigar budget" and stick that budget the same as you would for emergency savings (6+ months), vacation savings, retirement, etc...

The senseless act of carrying credit card debt just to amass a cigar collect is not fiscally responsible and you are doing yourself a disservice in the long run.

The one thing that I have learned over the nearly 2 decades of being into cigars is that it's is not about the cigars. The cigars are just a compliment to the commaradarie.

In the great scheme of the cigar community, cigar are meaningless and should not be coveted to the point where we throw away common sense and fiscal responsibility."

on that note, i reach my spending limit almost every month. during the coldest months i often dont because i dont smoke as much but the other half of my budget is that i wont buy more when my humidor is full.

i bring in many cigars but my credit card balance keeps getting smaller...
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    What's a "spending limit" ???
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've never bought cigars on a credit card. Nor any of my other hobbies in the last few years. I've always paid cash, and it makes me really think about what I buy. I haven't really given myself a "cigar budget". I just just buy when I need to, or it's actually a deal. That last part is the key.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
  • Options
    I pay my credit card balance off at least once a month and carry no debt. I also have a humidor that's kinda hard to fill so stopping when it's full is not really an option. I really like having large selection on-hand so I never get bored, being that I smoke several per day. The "what, a budget" comment was kinda tongue-in-cheek; but also kinda true for me...
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    neither am I, but being single does have it's merits....
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    I use only cash (or at least debit card), I only put gas on my credit card, and try to pay in full every month. Ive recovering from a bankruptcy. I have a vague budget. I get the COTMC, and try to limt anything beyond that. I dont smoke often, but have been spending more than planned. Going to try to stick to the plan, and avoid buying the deal today. Maybe ill call in and buy 1 Diesel and have them toss it into my next COTM delivery so I can try it out.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yeah I've blown off some big things this year cause of my new hobby. Things like a few new guitars, and modding my car and building a hackintosh... They're honestly not that important, but i have shifted a majority of my spending money into cigars from some of my other ventures. I think eventually the hyped-ness will fade and I'll settle in to a routine, but right now I'm building a collection...
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    a strong right arm?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    sol1821:
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    a strong right arm?
    That... Is..... FUNNY
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I only buy when I have extra cash available, and I try to maximize my money. I bought some RP ITC 10yr seconds because of the price vs. quality was very good, and I'm pleased with what I got because it's a good all around smoke for cheap. I got in on the Gurkha deal as it was an easy way for me to capitalize on a brand I haven't tried for relatively cheap. Since CCom takes Paypal, it will be even easier as I'm getting ready to eBay a bunch of stuff.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I think for newer guys like me it is a bit easier becasue you don't really know what you like so you jump on cheap deals like today a little bit easier. To think about you could try todays cigar out for 6 bucks for a single stick, or see it on a daily deal of 5 for 13 bucks. You kinda use it almost as sampler. Also with being new you are trying to stock up which doesn't help.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    I think for newer guys like me it is a bit easier becasue you don't really know what you like so you jump on cheap deals like today a little bit easier. To think about you could try todays cigar out for 6 bucks for a single stick, or see it on a daily deal of 5 for 13 bucks. You kinda use it almost as sampler. Also with being new you are trying to stock up which doesn't help.
    I'd have to agree with Welder here. This is pretty much where I'm at. There are some many sticks I haven't tried, and when it comes down to it in that sense, it makes mOre sense to buy the 5pack. That way, the cost per stick is way smaller, and if it turns out I don't like the stick, I can trade the rest of them for new sticks.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    sol1821:
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    a strong right arm?
    think "Popeye"
  • Options
    For one, I purposefully don't have a credit card because my common sense tells me that spending money I don't have is a bad idea, so thats not a problem for me. Secondly, even though the Diesel is, to me, the single most exciting cigar out there right now, I am NOT going to buy any of todays deal because I know I shouldn't be spending any more money on cigars.
    sol1821:
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    a strong right arm?
    And good one Sol! =)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    sol1821:
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    a strong right arm?
    That... Is..... FUNNY
    lol...
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    not everyone is rich.
    Hahah - tell me about it! As soon as I got serious with my missis and she insisted I stop spending money on cigs and get rid off them lol.... It was the reason why I joined the forums - to try to sell ALL that I had... Well - it turns out I got hooked deeper haahahhah....
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I don't even wanna think about how much over my budget I am. This has been an expensive year! Good thing my dad likes to smoke cigars as well, he is retired and married a wealthy lady. His gift to me was funding for some sticks so when he comes to town he can smoke.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of these deals are depressing to me. I keep seeing incredible deal after another and I am broke. The deals are incredible and keep getting better. I just wonder how long I can make my stash last.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    jsnake:
    All of these deals are depressing to me. I keep seeing incredible deal after another and I am broke. The deals are incredible and keep getting better. I just wonder how long I can make my stash last.
    There have been some fantastic deals! I had to tell Jeff not to take anymore of my calls this week. Could you pick just one if you had to Snake?
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    jsnake:
    There have been some fantastic deals! I had to tell Jeff not to take anymore of my calls this week. Could you pick just one if you had to Snake?
    Everyday they seem to throw something better on. These daily deals are great. Like today's daily deal is top notch. Recently I have seen Gurkha, 5 Vegas, and all sorts of good stuff up there. The prices are great and low but things are very tight at my house. I know there will be more deals when I am in a better position. I seriously am not down about it. I just think dang what a deal wish I could nab it. I have accumulated a pretty good stash in the last few months when I was still optimistic about work. Ccom is top notch though!!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Cigar.com knows what they are doing in regards to marketing. I find it very hard to refrain from making purchases all the time. If I say I'm cutting back some, within the week there is a tempting deal!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I just got home from work and the deal is over...

Money is a little tight this week, but my rational side kicked in and I did NOT order these... I'm still trying to save up to go to the Dominican Republic next year and every cigar is one step farther away...

BUT A GLORIOUS STEP!
  • Options
    SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    NEVER!... pretty good at sticky to (all) my budgets... just wish I hadn't had to learn that the hard way.
  • Options
    Smokeee:
    NEVER!... pretty good at sticky to (all) my budgets... just wish I hadn't had to learn that the hard way.
    aint that the truth....
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't set a budget for cigars. I am cheap with cigars the same way I'm cheap with everything else. I only buy on sale. The single Diesel I bought with my Cask Strengths the other day is the first cigar I've paid full price for in a long while. If I don't smoke them, I know the fellas at work will buy them from me. Some of the time I turn a profit from it, but not often. I do know that I'm not going to buy any more until the Forum Blends come out. I have nearly 200 cigars now and I only smoke a couple a week. So I'm gonna sit on what I have for now and enjoy the results of some rest and aging.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah... and to reiterate what the fellas before me said. I can do this because I budget every other aspect of my life. My wife and I are extremely cost effecient in all aspects.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i usually only buy if it's a great deal. i have splurged on an Opus X before but that's a rare deal. I just got the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte deal of today, doubled it so free shipping. 10 sticks for 18 shipped. that's a no brainer and i'm an indian tabac fan anyway. until my income becomes greater, i'm buying the daily deals, seconds, and closeouts.
  • Options
    Today's Daily Deal is taunting me. I foresee no cigar purchases for the next 4 to 6 months thanks to my jack a$$ employer. You guys who are interested should jump on these. The Micro batch series is great!